Need Good mechanic for 919 In 33905 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Question Need Good mechanic for 919 In 33905

I recently got my 2007 919 Hornet with 1600 miles on a trade in. Susuki Dr650se and some cash. 919 hardly ever got any use,The guy was scared of it. It sat around with bad gas in it,he thought putting Stabilizer with be OK. When he did ride it, he went around town with it, douht he ever got it above 2500 RPM's. Anyway when I got it I rode it for 2 days, went out in the Country, Speeds above 70 MPH. End of 2nd day after a HOT run come to a stop light and the bike starts jerking like it wants more gas. FPR and fuel pump took a shit. Took it to Sun Sports in FortMyers and they took FOREVER to fix it. I go in to pick up my bike, AFTER SPENDING $1000.00 and they tell me some thing else is wrong (A NEW PROBLEM) Turn out my 2 left pipe are cold and 2 rights are hot. Sounds to me that they did not fix the FPR. They cleaned the injectors and now the 2 left pipes are WARM. SOOOOO they now tell me I need a new ECU FOR A $1000.00. Told them to screw themselves. I have noticed that my ignition coil for #1 cylinder is burnt, need to check it out , but it does seem to go back to the ECU. I really need a good mechanic to look and TEST the bike and get it 100%. Anybody know of a good Ma and Pa shop ! I like to shop by reviews and the reviews on these guys around here are horrible. I really don't know how they stay in business. Any help would be of great appreciation. Thank You! NEVER TAKE YOUR BIKE TO SUN SPORTS of FortMyers!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Just keep posting on here, we'll get it fixed eventually.

You good with tools?

And if the pipes are still cold, it's the FPR. No way it would even run decent if one of the coils was bad.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Sorry to hear that you got soaked ($$) for parts like that. If the ECU is giving you problems, it will conveniently tell you so by blinking the PGM-FI light on your gauge cluster. The number of blinks indicates what the problem actually is. The blink pattern is described in the Service Manual or just do a site search here on WT.

What is the current state of your 919, then? Is your fuel pump actually burned up? Did it get replaced? are your coils functioning?

I would have recommended a full tune-up when you first got the bike, with a full fluid change on all fluids, and fresh spark plugs, just to start from a new maintenance baseline.

If both cylinders on one side are not functioning, It's most likely a bad coil. Easy fix. If the two center cylinders, that would mean a bad FPR.

If you DO need a new ECU, or new coils, or something else...buy it off of Ebay, or from an MC wrecking yard...that way it won't cost you a thou.

These bikes are almost criminally simple to work on. Mostly its just plug & play replacement type stuff after you diagnose a problem. It only really starts getting complicated when you get into actually cracking the engine cases.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"

post #4 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

....Or, alternatively....

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Aquilifer

Buy a shop manual and troubleshoot it yourself. That's what 99% of dealers do, then they just throw parts at it and hope it takes care of the problem. Heck, I can do that. $1000 will go along way buying parts at Monmouthcycles.com.

Unless it's under warranty, my bikes never go back to the dealer.

post #7 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

Careful......................I never thought we would have exhaust fluid.

post #8 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 08:35 AM
i appear missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

can I get a muffler bearing at the same place that sold me this?

post #9 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Go to the mechanic, toss your bike on the floor with tank cap open, toss match on it and yell "You fucked up my bike. Now I fuck you up."

Do that out of view of the survielance camera.

Seriously, are you saying they fucked you for 1000 and the bike was still fucked up?

All I can see is injectors clogged to fuck with varnish here so far.

The fuel should have been completely emptied along with all the gas lines.

My zx10r did have a fuel pump go bad, and it was like it starved at above 90 or 100. That was at around 30,000 miles.
I suppose yours could have eaten shit with gas in varnish form.

I wish you could have brought it to my buddy Danny at Precision Motorcycle but you couldn't be farther from him with me out here in Southern California.

Be patient, and hang here as you explore this issue.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton
post #10 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by erked in fortmyers View Post
. I have noticed that my ignition coil for #1 cylinder is burnt, need to check it out , but it does seem to go back to the ECU.
welcome to the forum.
there are only 2 coils in 919: one coil shares cyl. 2 and cy.3. and the other cyl.1 and 4

post #11 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Hello and welcome! Also if the FPR was bad, 2 & 3 would be the flooded cylinders (cold). Hope you get it sorted

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #12 of 16 Old 11-30-2012, 04:43 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

All attempts at levity aside, I would really like to see if we can help you figure out whats going on with ypur bike. To do that, we will need your help...we will need for you to accurately describe some things, and maybe post up some photos. It will be helpful to you if you can get a PDF copy of the maintenance manual, or a paper copy.

Lets take this slowly and see where that gets us. First, can you have a look at your plug wires, and see if they are hooked up correctly like Andrew mentioned? Secondly, is the PGM-FI light flashing when you turn on the ignition? If so, how many times does it blink?

"The Shadow"
post #13 of 16 Old 12-01-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

First of all, I REALLY appreciate ALL of your help, I downloaded the service manual ,from this website, Again Thank You!! Looking in the manual I looked to see what I could test for myself, Since I am an electrician, I looked at the wiring diagram. My friend who sold me the bike, from the beginning said the problem was some kind of sensor. Did trouble shooting tests starting with the ignition coil since one of the leads looked like it had been Burned or got very hot,scorched..Did continuity test, got beep, so on to the Map sensor, followed the service manual test, after 3 tests, voltage was (Out of Range)--Faulty Map Sensor..I had 2.1V they called for 2.7-3.1V, So I'm assuming that I'm OUT OF RANGE. I had to cut back the ECU wires Light Green/Yellow+ and Green/Orange-/B7+B1-! Cheated instead of using a ECU Test Harness. Ordering part for $117.00 from Ron Ayers.com. A guy I met who had a motorcycle shop before the divorce stole it said he used Ron Ayers.com solely as his only website but ordered his parts locally, but I've seen this guys name mentioned on this website as reliable. Anyway I hope the solves the problem so I can get on with SUEING the crap out of Sun Sports Cycle & Watercraft! I've got 2 very good lawyers as inlaws!!Thanks again for ALL YOUR HELP..Again I'm still looking for a GOOD MECHANIC in the FortMyers, Florida 33905 area! There are plenty of idiots who think they are GOOD MECHANICS!! Follow the service manual was the best advice I got, to apply! Thanks Everyone!! When I get the part in I'll reply..Always look twice at intersections.......

post #14 of 16 Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

post #15 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Dealer wired ignition coils wrong:1&3--2&4

This is Feb 27,2013 continued this post on 'Ignition coil wires on wrong cylinders'

post #16 of 16 Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Turns out Honda dealer ( Sun Sports Cycle & Watercraft, Inc.)33905 (239-277-7777) hooked up Ignition Coil wires wrong: 1&3 and 2&4!!!! continued this post at 'Ignition coil wires on wrong cylinders' Thanks for all your help and hope this helps somebody else out,without all the crap I've gone through!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode