• 1 Post By ST-DocLizard1
  • 1 Post By badmoon692008
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 2 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x

post #1 of 12 Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Need a quick answer about how long tires last.

I'm going to have to get a new rear tire tomorrow. I'm down to these:

Road 5.

Q3+

Cont Motion Sport Tour.

or any others. Looks like I need a sport tour so that they'll last longer than 3 months.

Best I can figure right now is that the Road 5 is the longest lasting.

Any opinions on these?

Edit: I watched this, but it's not clear between the Q3+ and the Road 5. Based on looks, I'd guess the Road 5 is sport touring and the Q3+ is more sport.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 PM
919 Rider

I'm currently running Pirelli Diablos. On my second set. They last 3 times longer than the Bridgestone Battlax tire I had on previously.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 02:56 AM
Left of Centre

Whoops, sorry for the cross-posting (also in your other thread):

Of the new rears I've fitted in the past, I've had 8,200km from a Pirelli Diablo, 10,500km from a Diablo Rosso II, and around 10,000 km each from two Conti Motions.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 04:23 AM
Tirone

Pirelli Angel GT is also a very good and popular choice for a good balance between handling and longevity.
They also just came out with an Angel GT II.

https://youtu.be/prurD8oqjzo
https://youtu.be/xIBN8jA7i9A

post #5 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Whoops, sorry for the cross-posting (also in your other thread):

Of the new rears I've fitted in the past, I've had 8,200km from a Pirelli Diablo, 10,500km from a Diablo Rosso II, and around 10,000 km each from two Conti Motions.
So that would be some 6000 miles. That might be about what I got from the S21's. Maybe I need to rethink this, maybe the S21's did just fine and I just wasn't paying attention to the miles.

post #6 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 06:12 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

For the last 30+ years and hundreds of thousands of miles I have been running Michelin radials, first M59's (the first motorcycle radials), then Pilot Roads in their various iterations. Barring punctures not one rear tire lasted less than 10,000 miles despite consistently running pressures in the high 20s to low 30s.

As to performance in the rain (the best in wet conditions by far), blazing twisty roads (zero chicken strips, the best feedback when initiating a slide, and the best overall "feel"), and touring ... exemplary! Just ask anyone who has tried to keep up with me on a twisty road.

In a nutshell they are the only tires I have run that do not seem to have made compromises toward any specific use at the expense of general utility. Whatever I want to do they are right there for me.

There you have it.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #7 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
For the last 30+ years and hundreds of thousands of miles I have been running Michelin radials, first M59's (the first motorcycle radials), then Pilot Roads in their various iterations. Barring punctures not one rear tire lasted less than 10,000 miles despite consistently running pressures in the high 20s to low 30s.

As to performance in the rain (the best in wet conditions by far), blazing twisty roads (zero chicken strips, the best feedback when initiating a slide, and the best overall "feel"), and touring ... exemplary! Just ask anyone who has tried to keep up with me on a twisty road.

In a nutshell they are the only tires I have run that do not seem to have made compromises toward any specific use at the expense of general utility. Whatever I want to do they are right there for me.

There you have it.

Rob
I'll have to agree with Rob on his choice of Michelin. I went through PR 2, 3, and now 4's on the '03 919 with PR 4 GT's on ST1300A. The '06 919 has Pilot Power 2 CT's and has suffered 2 rear punctures on both sets. Coincidence? I don't know. If you are looking for the best all around tire with good wear and performance especially in the wet, I would suggest the new PR 5's.

Just my experience.
robtharalson likes this.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #8 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 07:56 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Another vote for the Pilot Road Tires... I have yet to have one last less than 10,000 miles, and that's including trackdays, trips to the drag strip, and lots of other use and abuse. I had one last to over 14,000 miles and I've never ran one until I could see cords.

The Q3+ is almost the opposite end of the spectrum from the Pilot Road, as it's meant to be a very sporty tire that handles the street and can be used at quite a high pace on the track as well.
robtharalson likes this.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #9 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Done! Went with the Road $228.83 mounted and balanced out the door.

Let's see how many miles I get from this one.

I'll have to keep a close eye on the front tire because it has the same miles as the rear. She's not down to the marker bars yet, but I'll probably be getting a Road 5 for the front, not sure I like different tires front/rear.
robtharalson likes this.

post #10 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 07:02 PM
919 Rider

Well...a tire worn out after 3 months, fuel economy gone to shit. Sounds like someone's been having some fun.
mcromo44 and KarlJay like this.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Well...a tire worn out after 3 months, fuel economy gone to shit. Sounds like someone's been having some fun.
LOL, yea that tire might be dead and gone, but we have some memories.

I guess I got a bit wrapped up in the whole thing and didn't realize how many miles I put on her or how fast those miles add up.

I really hope the Road 5 will be as sticky as the S21 was.

Maybe I should buy tires by the Six Pack
Islandboy likes this.

post #12 of 12 Old 06-26-2019, 08:32 PM
Tesserarius

I couldn't get 10,000 miles out of a motorcycle tire to save my soul.

I've run lots of Michelins. Recently, I've tried a couple of Pirellis. The Pirellis seem a bit more stable, more trustworthy.

There are a lot of really good tires out there.
Islandboy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode