My Sato exhaust repacking experience - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Immune

My Sato exhaust repacking experience

My bike came with these Sato cans on it when I bought it in 2010. The PO bought the cans new from Dan Kyle in 2008 or 2009, I think. He had the original purchase paperwork which I got with the bike, but of course have lost lol. Anyway after my third trip to the Smoky Mountains and back last month I decided I couldn't take the ear bleeding on the interstate anymore, the exhaust note had become very very harsh. So that made it repack time! I ordered two of these Moose Universal Stainless Muffler Repack Kit, looked like one of the nicer repack kits I could find and I really liked that it came with steel wool and a stainless mat.

I'd read the older threads about the inside of the earlier Sato cans rotting out and didn't really know what to expect when I tore mine apart, but what I found was the metal bits inside looked basically new and had no signs of any wear or deterioration at all.

After I drilled out the rivets it was very easy to get the end caps off and then pull out the original core, it was a hard packed fiber glass shell that just slid right out very easily. It was very light weight, once I got it separated from the core, not very dense at all.

The steel wool was actually glued to the endcaps so it unraveled a bit when I peeled them off.

After some beating and pulling I was able to get the core out and the steel wool off of it very easily. When I was done I had a pile of parts ready for repacking. You can see the core design is very different from the earlier Satos with the cones and the welded center piece.

After trimming the new materials I laid them out to get ready for rolling. Please note if you do this fiber glass fibers get everywhere, so be careful! After I rolled the new packing up onto the core I used masking tape to hold it all together for packing back into the tube.

And new material back in the tube! With the new materials installed the tube weighed about 1lb more than it did before the repack.

After that it was pretty much "installation is reverse of removal" reinstalling the endcaps and new rivets, then back on the bike and repeat with the other muffler.

So the results, well I can't get the cans to line up perfectly anymore but I'm not totally worried about that lol. The sound is now very low, rumbley, and not harsh at all. Very hard to explain but it basically the same sound as before just much much lower toned, without the high pitch in it, I love it! For anyone thinking about doing this kind of thing I will say I have never done anything like this before and it was SUPER EASY! I've never used a rivet gun before and my cheap one from Harbor Freight worked perfectly. I would highly recommend this project to anyone who thinks their exhaust is too loud!

Erik
2005 Honda 919

I've got a lot of places to see! (on the bike) :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Thanks for the write up and pics!

post #3 of 16 Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Nice job Erik. Good to see the cores were still intact.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Ian

Nice little DIY! Thanks man!

post #5 of 16 Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

+1, Nice writeup. Thanks.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Pilus Posterior

Good post.

A good idea is to use a marker pen to note which holes align with the end caps before pulling the mufflers apart.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Discen

Great post!

I didnít realize that Sato made changes to the design for the core size.. I assume your centre cores are approx. 2" in dia.. As the other design that we have seen with the centre cores having the end caps bring down the dia. of the perforated tube from the 2" to approx. 1.4" dia...

hmmmmmmmm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0572.JPG (129.7 KB, 18 views)

post #8 of 16 Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

Great contribution. Thank you!

post #9 of 16 Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 AM
Princeps Prior

Just ordered 2 kits because mine sounds like a moto gp bike lol. Great write up. I hope my cores are still intact.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Good post.

A good idea is to use a marker pen to note which holes align with the end caps before pulling the mufflers apart.
Very good point that I forgot to mention! I actually marked the weld bead on the body of the muffler onto the endcaps but either would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
Great post!

I didnít realize that Sato made changes to the design for the core size.. I assume your centre cores are approx. 2" in dia.. As the other design that we have seen with the centre cores having the end caps bring down the dia. of the perforated tube from the 2" to approx. 1.4" dia...

hmmmmmmmm
I imagine they made changes to the last generation after people discovered their cores were rotting out? I wasn't looking forward to having to fab up my own replacement cores if they were

Erik
2005 Honda 919

post #11 of 16 Old 06-16-2012, 05:40 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

it looks like you gave gen 1 cores and gen 1 end cap. Gen 1 cores do not rust unlike gen 2.

here is how gen 2 cores look like. They are smaller

post #12 of 16 Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Princeps Prior

Thumbs up

Repacked mine today with the Moose kits and rode 200 miles sounds great. No more raspy blow by. Thanks for the great write up. Made it much easier to do.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-23-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Repacked mine today with the Moose kits and rode 200 miles sounds great. No more raspy blow by. Thanks for the great write up. Made it much easier to do.
Awesome! Glad I could help!!

Erik
2005 Honda 919

post #14 of 16 Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Immune

Thanks heaps for this info mate! Ordered this repack kit after reading this thread, and received it just the other day! Preparing to get stuck into it! I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

post #15 of 16 Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Do I need the stainless steel my kits from LDH didn't have stainless steel wool, my old rivets were alum, LDH sent me stainless rivets but I told him the wrong size so there a little small. All I can find locally is alum in the size I need. Damnit I needed this project done today

post #16 of 16 Old 07-07-2013, 02:58 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ghtjacket View Post
Do I need the stainless steel my kits from LDH didn't have stainless steel wool, my old rivets were alum, LDH sent me stainless rivets but I told him the wrong size so there a little small. All I can find locally is alum in the size I need. Damnit I needed this project done today
stainless steel wrap will help a lot. Unless you want to repack it again very very soon. Sato has SS wrap from the factory. If you need to get it done today, go to any store and get some ss wool and wrap the core. Aluminum rivets are fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode