My bike came with these Sato cans on it when I bought it in 2010. The PO bought the cans new from Dan Kyle in 2008 or 2009, I think. He had the original purchase paperwork which I got with the bike, but of course have lost lol. Anyway after my third trip to the Smoky Mountains and back last month I decided I couldn't take the ear bleeding on the interstate anymore, the exhaust note had become very very harsh. So that made it repack time! I ordered two of these Moose Universal Stainless Muffler Repack Kit
, looked like one of the nicer repack kits I could find and I really liked that it came with steel wool and a stainless mat.
I'd read the older threads about the inside of the earlier Sato cans rotting out and didn't really know what to expect when I tore mine apart, but what I found was the metal bits inside looked basically new and had no signs of any wear or deterioration at all.
After I drilled out the rivets it was very easy to get the end caps off and then pull out the original core, it was a hard packed fiber glass shell that just slid right out very easily. It was very light weight, once I got it separated from the core, not very dense at all.
The steel wool was actually glued to the endcaps so it unraveled a bit when I peeled them off.
After some beating and pulling I was able to get the core out and the steel wool off of it very easily. When I was done I had a pile of parts ready for repacking. You can see the core design is very different from the earlier Satos with the cones and the welded center piece.
After trimming the new materials I laid them out to get ready for rolling. Please note if you do this fiber glass fibers get everywhere, so be careful! After I rolled the new packing up onto the core I used masking tape to hold it all together for packing back into the tube.
And new material back in the tube! With the new materials installed the tube weighed about 1lb more than it did before the repack.
After that it was pretty much "installation is reverse of removal" reinstalling the endcaps and new rivets, then back on the bike and repeat with the other muffler.
So the results, well I can't get the cans to line up perfectly anymore
but I'm not totally worried about that lol. The sound is now very low, rumbley, and not harsh at all. Very hard to explain but it basically the same sound as before just much much lower toned, without the high pitch in it, I love it! For anyone thinking about doing this kind of thing I will say I have never done anything like this before and it was SUPER EASY! I've never used a rivet gun before and my cheap one from Harbor Freight worked perfectly. I would highly recommend this project to anyone who thinks their exhaust is too loud!