My 919 ABS Project - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By LDH
  • 1 Post By LDH

post #1 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

My 919 ABS Project

Hi all, this is my first post here and i hope you will like it

Sorry for some grammar errors, I better get listen rather than talk.
This idea came to me in October 2014.
Then after having read a lot of manuals, datasheets, viewing half of ebey lots I've got a compleet picture in my mind. At that time I was hoping to finish all in december, but it turned out a little longer.

I've made order from Ebay for that parts:
1. ABS Pump (ABS Modulator) from Honda CBF 1000 A7
2. ABS Sensors (Front and rear) from Honda CBF 1000 A7
3. ABS Sensor ring (Front and rear) from Honda CBF 1000 A7
4. Wire Harness from Honda CBF 1000 A7
5. Rear brake caliper bracket from CBF 600 S (04-07)
6. Front bracket for ABS Sensor from Honda CB 1300 (ABS)
7. a lot of bolts, plastic holders etc. (original too)

Tha latest warms days...

The most important thing I wanted to make it look as it was made in factory.

So after all this parts comes to me the show was started
Some metal works and Sensor Rings and Front holder is installed.

How it looks on Honda CB 1300

and in complete

Than I've got a ABS Pump and was sadly disappointed by its size... There is no place in motorcycle to install this module.

That's why I had to re think about all plans and was born another great idea.

I've bought a new, latest generation ABS pump and Wire Harnes from Honda CB 500 X (Fits also CBR 500RR CBR 650А etc.)

2-3 weeks waiting from the our Postage and I've got it
Compare with previos

With replacing Bank Angle Sensor and cutting the corner of water tank it was installed with anti-vibration inserмы like in original way.

Then new armored brake lines was manufactured and installed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

That's fantastic and your English is great, so please post more. You did a great job making it look like it came like that from the factory! How does it work?

post #3 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

And a new wires with a fuse box

At that time I've tryed to ride with a ABS Sensors from CBF, but it was not good idea, new ABS pump sees sensors but does not receive signals of the rotation of the wheels. Sensors was different.

Again after 2-3 week I've got a original sensors and install them

First snow ride shows that all works fine. ABS makes pre-ride test and ABS Indicator turns off after speed comes up to 5-6mph.

Honda CB 919 ABS Working On Snowy Road - YouTube

But braking on the snow is very-very strange. It was filmed with one camera and both foreshortening are not in one time.

Then I've made some tests on the road and i think that all works fine.

ABS Rear Wheel Working - YouTube
sorry for the low light

Litle adjustment...

and the final: mark
"Upgrate Complete"(c)

post #4 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you! I have devided it in two pieses because I cannot made more than 28 pictures

post #5 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 09:14 AM
TEXAN

Bravo, man, excellent work. I'm interested to know how the ABS works for you in the rain.

post #6 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 09:19 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

This has got to be one of the top 5 dumbest things I have ever seen on a 919
Dario_hawk likes this.

post #7 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 AM
TEXAN

Don't dance around it LDH, tell us how you really feel.

post #8 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Whether it's worthwhile money spent or not, I think it's a pretty cool bit of ingenuity. Plus he is in Moscow and has an American Flag on his swing arm and a confederate flag on his exhaust heat shield.

post #9 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 11:28 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

LOL well in the real world ABS is basically only ideal in wet riding conditions when trying to stop the bike in a minimal amount of time while straight up and down. If you are leaned into a turn or sideways crossed up etc your results will be drastically different than a test under direct upright braking conditions.

In the dry during aggressive maneuvers every ABS system I have ever tested has consistently underperformed against NON-ABS braking systems. I cannot even count how many braking markers I have blown past and overcooked a corner due to ABS systems not sufficiently slowing the bike down. Even my latest and greatest race bred Gen 4 ZX-10R ABS would simply not allow enough braking force to stop the bike in time consistently overshooting the turns still carrying way too much speed, but shutting off the ABS instantly allowed proper modulation of braking force to reduce stopping time/distance to a safe level.

Basically ABS is a great tool as long as you are riding around like a safe and sane person and recommended speed limits. If you want to rely on ABS to help you control your bike at more spirited levels of riding then you are way better off without the interference into your braking sequence.

Additionally if you really want to make your riding safer then buy quality aftermarket suspension! That is what will truly give you a larger margin of safety and a greater margin of error while riding. Making the bike more compliant with more grip from the tires and proper geometry squat and rise aids both in acceleration and braking.
Dario_hawk likes this.

post #10 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
and from wayyy back in 2011 :

Quote:
That's the dumbest shit I have seen posted on any forum in quite some time...

Just go ride the damn bike for a couple minutes and be done with it.

post #11 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Aquilifer

Good work. That's a pretty ambitious project, glad you stuck to it and got it to work.

Not sure on the benefit to cost/time ratio thou, but to each their own.

Quote:

What are the other 4?

post #12 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Plus he is in Moscow and has an American Flag on his swing arm and a confederate flag on his exhaust heat shield.
The American flag right next to the Moscow sticker and the picture taken in the Red Square what more do you want

post #13 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Good work. That's a pretty ambitious project, glad you stuck to it and got it to work.

What are the other 4?
I think one was rubbing the tires with sand

post #14 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:

What are the other 4?
Ram Air, Handlebar Clocks, Any shock not made in Sweden, Tire Sand

post #15 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todi View Post
I think one was rubbing the tires with sand

I must have missed that thread............sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Any shock not made in Sweden

post #16 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
I must have missed that thread............sounds interesting.
Paul, here it is: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...res-26632.html (just in case your day is slow too )

post #17 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Everyone knows you use a brick to scrub new tires.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hey guys, you are like 99% of other peoples who has read this project.
In every site, every forum ore group is some people who like ABS and someone who dont.
For all of you I want to say: ABS is not a way to resolve all your problems with braking, it's just only one small thing what could prevent you from falling. It's like a fuse in electric wires....

Excellent if you never feel how it works, but you are not always 100% сoncentrate on the road. Just in cases when you lost a control it could save you and your money, but not in every one case.

Thank you for you positive and others feedbacks. I will make another videos in april and rote about my feelings.

About flags - US flag on swingarm already was there when bike comes to Russia from CA

post #19 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 12:24 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have a slightly different view on ABS under the right conditions. My last accident involved hitting the paint while braking to evade a vehicle that darted out into traffic.

I had everything under control, the swerve and braking was going great until I hit the paint. The double yellow line was new and much smoothing than the asphalt and caused the tire to slip a bit, which caused the fall.

I can't say that ABS would have prevented that as it was VERY quick. In fact, I'll yield further and say that anything (sand, oil, water, etc... ) might have been worse.

I'll further say that there is one thing MUCH MUCH better than ABS ... Drivers that PAY ATTENTION !!!!!

post #20 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step_ View Post

About flags - US flag on swingarm already was there when bike comes to Russia from CA

post #21 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 12:26 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:

That must have cost a MINT going from CA to Russia! Hope you get a LOT of fun out of that bike!

post #22 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 12:39 PM
GLG-20

Garage
Thanks for sharing. I think it's a cool project, and if it meets your needs, that's what really matters.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #23 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
That must have cost a MINT going from CA to Russia! Hope you get a LOT of fun out of that bike!
This may sound strange but 90% of all bikes in Russia was made in US, EU ore Japan. I was paying nearly 45% of it's price in US to Customs and it's only one way to got a good bike. and cheaper than buying here brand new bike.

I love this bike very much!! For me there is no any better bikes for my purposes (may be GSA1200 ore super tenere 1200, but they are very big for city traffic)

post #24 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 02:03 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
This may sound strange but 90% of all bikes in Russia was made in US, EU ore Japan. I was paying nearly 45% of it's price in US to Customs and it's only one way to got a good bike. and cheaper than buying here brand new bike.

I love this bike very much!! For me there is no any better bikes for my purposes (may be GSA1200 ore super tenere 1200, but they are very big for city traffic)
That's crazy, 45% to Customs!

One of the areas I study is economics and one of the most overlooked economic issues is cost of living. When 45% is added to something without adding any value to the item, that really hurts the cost of living.

As far a Russia goes, as I understand it, they don't manufacture a lot of things. I don't think the US imports a lot from Russia, so really the Customs fees are just a gain to the government without adding any value to anything (assuming any government could ever add value to anything ).

post #25 of 36 Old 02-10-2015, 07:58 PM
TEXAN

Quote:
(assuming any government could ever add value to anything ).
LOL, you type what I think.

post #26 of 36 Old 02-11-2015, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
That's crazy, 45% to Customs!
The government made it to prevent falling of the Russian car and truck manufacturing. But we have no any big bike factories (only Ural, maybe you know, but they made 100-200 bikes each eyar for export only). For government is easier to close all import then differentiate customs payments.
Thats why more people still think that motorcycle is luxury rather than a useful transport...

post #27 of 36 Old 02-11-2015, 08:21 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
The government made it to prevent falling of the Russian car and truck manufacturing. But we have no any big bike factories (only Ural, maybe you know, but they made 100-200 bikes each eyar for export only). For government is easier to close all import then differentiate customs payments.
Thats why more people still think that motorcycle is luxury rather than a useful transport...
This is similar to what the US did in the 1930's as a solution to the Great Depresson, it didn't work well at all. You're correct, in that it makes imports so costly that it people makes people want to buy domestic products, but if the imports are better, it raises the cost of living.

The problem the US has now is that our cost of living is too high and much of our labor is overpriced compared to Mexico, China, or India ... so the jobs get exported to those countries and we end up with not enough jobs for our people and still a high cost of living. The result is some very rich and many near poverty.

The governments also use currency strength/weakness to do the same as what customs would do.

The US solution to protecting US was through laws controlling businesses, but the problem is our government is corrupt and let the businesses get "too big to fail" while giving big money to the corrupt government and charging the US taxpayers.

It's hard to say which system is worse, I see them both as economic slavery. The funny thing is that any people will be governed at their will, "We The People" just need to learn to stand up for ourselves and fire the government.

post #28 of 36 Old 02-12-2015, 07:10 AM
Discen

Very good installation. Looks like it came from the factory!

post #29 of 36 Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

хорошо.

post #30 of 36 Old 02-12-2015, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
хорошо.
slavs are everywhere

post #31 of 36 Old 02-12-2015, 12:20 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
slavs are everywhere
I thought we ended slavry

--- by they way, it's spelled slaves

(wait and see how many people don't get this as a joke)

post #32 of 36 Old 02-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Imaginifer

Congratulations that's probably the only 919 in the world with ABS so be proud of your achievement, it might not be to every ones taste but well done for making it work.
I don't know what all the fuss is about the stars and stripes

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #33 of 36 Old 04-05-2018, 11:36 AM
Tirone

ABS v. non-ABS in an emergency braking condition on the street exactly inverts your race track experience every time with any rider. Examples of such incidents include but are not limited to a load falling off a truck, another vehicle making a sudden, unexpected and possibly illegal maneuver, an unseen child running IFO the rider, a deer or other large mammal jumping IFO the rider at chest level, a dog running IFO the rider, etc, etc, etc. Add rain, snow, ice, oil, and paints on the pavement for an infinite variety of ABS type conditions.

In every such case for all riders, the likelihood of injury decreases with ABS and increases without ABS. In such scenario, something totally unknown, unexpected, and unknowable occurs IFO the rider, a potential life ending event. Such scenario is the polar opposite of a known, controlled, braking point on a race track.

Multiple AMA SB and WSB Champion Ben Spies never rode on the street because it is infinitely more dangerous than the race track. AMA SB and MotoGP World Champion died riding his bicycle on the street. I presume both the above World Champions in their prime would make you look like you were in reverse on any given race track. Your race track conditions have absolutely nothing to do with ABS usefulness to a street rider.

The day you would like to make a $10k bet on braking distance in heavy rain, ABS v. non-ABS, please state the time and place, and please bring cash.

post #34 of 36 Old 04-05-2018, 03:32 PM
919 Rider

I probably wouldn't mind ABS, but only on my rear brake.

post #35 of 36 Old 04-05-2018, 04:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I probably wouldn't mind ABS, but only on my rear brake.
The thing about it is that most of the breaking power comes from the front brakes. When you do a panic stop, the rear rises up and doesn't account for much of the stopping power.

I have a 30 year old truck that has ABS only on the rear, but it has one control for both brakes.

If you lock up the rear, it's not too much of a control problem, it's the front that has the control and stopping power.

This is an older post, I wonder how well it worked out.

post #36 of 36 Old 04-06-2018, 07:39 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse view View Post
The day you would like to make a $10k bet on braking distance in heavy rain, ABS v. non-ABS, please state the time and place, and please bring cash.
That's funny you mention that, because there's been multiple tests showing that with a good rider and good tires non ABS can still outbrake ABS... I think one big thing people don't understand is that ABS isn't to stop you quicker, it's to help maintain control by preventing wheel lock up.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode