My 5 gallon tank has turned into a 4 gallon tank - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rmb

post #1 of 7 Old 08-12-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

My 5 gallon tank has turned into a 4 gallon tank

I'll try to be brief. Around the time my fuel light comes on, sometimes before sometimes after, my bike will stall when coming to a stop. Anything that sloshes the fuel to the front of the tank has the idle dropping or stalling completely. When the fuel settles again, it'll start right up as usual. The first time this happened was when I had 0.1 gallons left in my tank. I filled it up to 5.2 gallons that time. The second and third times it happened, I was low on fuel, but not as low. Now its gotten to the point where I have over a gallon remaining in the tank and the bike will stall. Fueling up solves the problem, but this is getting to be annoying. I haven't touched anything in the tank.

It seems more? like to experience these symptoms when the bike is hot/stop and go traffic? Didn't have the problem on the way to taco bell, I did on the way back. It's like, 3 miles round trip.

????????? what the heck is going on here. Tank still holds the same amount of fuel. Is my fuel pickup gravitating towards the top of the tank?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-12-2017, 06:12 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Check the tank vent to make sure it's not blocked.
LDH likes this.

post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2017, 02:53 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Yup tank vent is likely corroded if its in the cap or pinched off if from a line. I cannot remember on the 919 which way it vents, but when that vent gets closed it will do what you are describing.

post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2017, 07:20 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
It's happened to me exactly three times-- each time I was at 130+ miles on the trip meter, which is 3+ gallons down with the mileage I get, and braking while coming down a long downhill. Bike would stall at the bottom of the hill but start right back up. I figured it was just the fuel sloshing, and so far it's been easy enough to avoid that specific combination of circumstances.

Fine, I'm adding a signature, leave me alone!
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Milites Gregarius

I don't have this problem on my bike but I do in my car. You guys just made me think about the vent and how much pressure there is when I remove the cap... I need to look into this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Honda CB900 919 Hornet - Current
1999 Suzuki Bandit S1200 - sold
1986 Honda Magna V65 - sold
post #6 of 7 Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 6

where is the tank vent and how do i fix it? it's starting to get on my nerves.

also, what exactly is the science between whats happening? Is the pump pulling a vacuum trying to suck the fuel, and can't get it? Why is it only when the fuel is low and or sloshes forwards?

post #7 of 7 Old 08-16-2017, 07:55 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
Why is it only when the fuel is low and or sloshes forwards?
I must have misread it originally as I did not realize it was only under those conditions. With that it is not likely to be the vent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode