My 2003 919 is dead? Hmmm - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 40 Old 03-08-2014, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

My 2003 919 is dead? Hmmm

Today I planned on getting a new front tire put on and doing the oil on my 2003 919. Went to warm up the bike before the oil change and... nothing. No lights, no sounds, no nothing. it's as if there isn't a battery installed.

Battery is less than 1 year old, battery has been kept on a battery tender (jr brand)

I normally hook it up for a week and swap it over to my GSX-R than back to the 919.

Last time I rode the bike was maybe 45 days ago.

Battery tender as of this morning was on the GSX-R, the battery on the 919 was putting out 10.8 volts. After putting the battery tender on the 919 for an hour, the battery was reading 12+ volts. Battery IMO is good.

All the fuses I could find are in good condition. I pulled each one out and inspected them, they are clean, and not blown.

From the positive side of the battery, I followed the cable back to the main fuse/relay? it has a 30amp fuse in it. I have 12+ volts going to one side of it where the battery plugs in, however nothing is coming out the other side. Should the main fuse read voltage on both sides at all times? or does it only read voltage if the ignition is on?

My guess is either I have a bad ignition (wiggled all the wires to/from it and nothing changed) the ignition is not telling the main fuse/relay to do its job, or I have a bad main fuse/relay.

Again, zero lights, no nothing, bike is dead.

Thoughts? I'd rather not throw parts at it.

P.S

Oil never happened but I did drop my front wheel off at the shop, sadly the tire guy wont be in until monday but no biggy, not like I can ride it anyways...

Here's a picture since we all know post are useless without pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post
Last time I rode the bike was maybe 45 days ago.

Battery tender as of this morning was on the GSX-R, the battery on the 919 was putting out 10.8 volts. After putting the battery tender on the 919 for an hour, the battery was reading 12+ volts. Battery IMO is good.
it only read voltage if the ignition is on?

If you battery has dropped that low its toast. Its dropped a cell or something. Get somebody to load test it or swap the battery out of you other bike.

post #3 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 01:55 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

You should see the voltage on both sides of the fuse, it sounds like your fuse is blown. Don't rely on sight for fuses, always test them with a meter, I've seen plenty that look fins but are actually blown, especially on the plastic blade type fuses.

post #4 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 05:59 AM
Ian

Quote:
All the fuses I could find are in good condition. I pulled each one out and inspected them, they are clean, and not blown.

From the positive side of the battery, I followed the cable back to the main fuse/relay? it has a 30amp fuse in it. I have 12+ volts going to one side of it where the battery plugs in, however nothing is coming out the other side. Should the main fuse read voltage on both sides at all times? or does it only read voltage if the ignition is on?

Its early and I am hung over as hell ........... but that 30amp fused relay is for the electric start, it will only see voltage across the heavy terminal lugs when the e-start button is pressed.

Put the battery back in the Gixxer and see if it works .... or just pull your car battery and hook a set of jumper cables up between it and the 919 and use this to trouble shoot.

Odds are its the battery is shit or you have a blown fuse in the little black box that you missed.

post #5 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Robert

Garage
If you have two bikes, you need to keep them both on a tender all the time. Just saying.

When I was a Lincoln/Mercury tech, we would have new cars come in with bad batteries so don't rely on it's age.

Sounds like a plate in the battery. I've gone to lunch in my truck with all seeming fine then nothing when I came out. No lights, radio and no clicking starter. It was like someone stole my battery.

Have it tested and take RMBs advice and sort out the fuse. If you have or have access to another known-good battery, try that. By all means, keep it simple.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #6 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

My bet is on the battery too.

post #7 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I'll try another battery. It's just seems odd that it does show voltage. Also the battery tender doesn't give any errors.

I didn't say it but I did swap the 30amp fuse with the backup fuse.

I'll hook the bike up to my car and see what happens.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 AM
CG

Batteries will sometimes show what looks like a fully or partially charged voltage reading with no load. As soon as you put any sort of load on it, it goes to 0v.

You can check this by hooking up your meter and turning on the key.

post #9 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

This battery was bought 4/7/13 from batteries plus, I was iffy on buying a cheap battery but the reviews were good.

It's now out of the bike and reading 10.5volts. I still had the old battery I removed. sure enough, while it didn't have much of a charge, it had enough to turn the gauges on.

Someone posted that I should buy another battery tender and leave both bikes on it at all times. What is the reasoning behind that? If you ride the bike once a week, there's no reason for a battery tender at all, wouldn't swapping the battery tender from bike to bike do the same thing? I have them both hardwired, I just move the plug from one to the other.
post #10 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 10:20 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:

This battery was bought 4/7/13 from batteries plus, I was iffy on buying a cheap battery but the reviews were good.

It's now out of the bike and reading 10.5volts. I still had the old battery I removed. sure enough, while it didn't have much of a charge, it had enough to turn the gauges on.

Someone posted that I should buy another battery tender and leave both bikes on it at all times. What is the reasoning behind that? If you ride the bike once a week, there's no reason for a battery tender at all, wouldn't swapping the battery tender from bike to bike do the same thing? I have them both hardwired, I just move the plug from one to the other.
Having 3 bikes (with batteries) in my stable at the moment I found it difficult to remember which bike had the tender last, which bike I rode last, etc...

That being said one of my 2 tenders died on me and I've been juggling one ever since.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #11 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I've never had a tender or problems with a battery. Just ride it more.

Spoiler:

post #12 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Battery came from battery plus, they replaced it after the battery wouldn't take a charge, I asked them how long the warranty was, they said 1 year, I asked them if the new battery has a 1 year warranty on it, they said no, it follows the original battery date, so my brand new battery as of today has less than a month warranty on it.

Yay

Next time around I'll buy from a legit motorcycle store.
Battery for my GSXR came from newenough.com that bike is the one that hardly got ridden last year and go figure, battery is good.
post #13 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 10:23 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Not very confidence inspiring going cheap on the battery specially since you said they got great reviews, I guess you could say even the expensive stuff have one-offs. Good to hear they got you squared away with a replacement.

Hopefully it was cheap enough to warrant the trouble? I don't mind buying cheap long as it's not an essential item. The mentality of, for the price of 1 brand name I can have 3 of these type thinking.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #14 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I bet most batteries are made from the same recycled lead and are built maybe even in the same factory. Just a matter of luck. My guess is the cheaper batteries might get stored for longer times before being sold? Who knows.

I think it was $59 at the time, as of today it was listed at $69. I remember it being the only battery I could find locally that wasn't $120+
post #15 of 40 Old 03-09-2014, 10:58 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

It's weird that the battery did that even when it's tendered. Any chance the charger cooked it?

Quote:
I bet most batteries are made from the same recycled lead and are built maybe even in the same factory.
I was reading an article that there were some batteries out there that's using the same battery as Duracell but labeled some off-brand and were selling for super cheap so I wouldn't doubt it.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #16 of 40 Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Another lithium-conversion convincing thread.

I took my T out for a ride on Friday, and hadn't started it (or put battery on tender) since November.

It fired up on the 3rd crank. Battery is, as far as I know, 5 years old. Never been on a tender.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #17 of 40 Old 03-10-2014, 03:06 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Battery came from battery plus, they replaced it after the battery wouldn't take a charge, I asked them how long the warranty was, they said 1 year, I asked them if the new battery has a 1 year warranty on it, they said no, it follows the original battery date, so my brand new battery as of today has less than a month warranty on it.

Yay

Next time around I'll buy from a legit motorcycle store.
Battery for my GSXR came from newenough.com that bike is the one that hardly got ridden last year and go figure, battery is good.
This is evidence that the engineer that designed the battery knew exactly what he was doing -- his boss told him it had to last for exactly the warranty period, crank like the very devil was after it when new, and keep the manufacturing cost as low as possible. To meet these seemingly contradictory attributes he packed as many plates into each cell as possible with the plate separators thinned to the point of nonextistence to give it maximum cranking power when new, saved money by making the intercell jumpers thinner, and widened the alloy tolerance to save on all those pesky chemical tests on the material. That it made it almost to the end of the warranty period is a testament to the underpaid genius behind the design. Most of the "reviews" are from customers with practically new batteries who like the fast crank they produce, and the rest from employees that give glowing reports of the longevity without ever owning the batteries because, well, they know how deficient their product actually is and go with a name brand in preference to getting stranded somewhere.

As with everything else in life you get exactly what you pay for! My Yuasa still cranks like one of the devil's lesser minions is hot on its heels and shows no evidence of degradation after more than five years of use. In my book the original purchase price of slightly more than $100 is well worth it strictly from a peace of mind point of view.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #18 of 40 Old 03-10-2014, 04:08 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I swear if every thread ended with Rob's input we'd all be incredibly knowledgeable.

I thought a friend of mine was BSing when he said some TVs were designed to 'go' shortly after its warranty period. Then I saw it happen on 3 separate occasions with lesser brands all within 3 months of the end warranty end. Now I think said friend wasn't kidding, he's an electrical engineer as well but I digress.

What are your thoughts on LiFe batteries Rob?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #19 of 40 Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Aquilifer

I don't know this for sure and I am not an expert but I rarely put any of my bikes on a tender unless they just need a boost to start and I usually just check the night before and will put it on the tender if it won't start on its own. I don't get a chance to ride every day (due to work) so sometimes the bike sits about 4 to 6 weeks without getting ridden. I get doing it if you have the bike stored for 4 or 5 months of the year, but if you have it on continuously I have always felt like it shortens the life of the battery overall. I could be mistaken though, I have never really read into any empirical data in regards to doing it or not. Likewise I stop and think to myself, what happens if you leave the garage and go somewhere and park a few hours, or for much longer than planned? If your battery is so weak that it needs a jump every morning to start it seems like it's just simply time to replace it, rather than limping by and getting stuck in an embarrassing or dangerous situation.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #20 of 40 Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Well I'm concerned now! I also have one of the Xtreme batteries in my VFR and it's also a year old and has just sat for the winter on a battery tender. Oops
So I went on-line to check reviews and there are a bunch of early failures. Most of them are immediate failures. Either dropping dead just like yours, in the middle of a ride, or spitting open along the top seam and dumping the contents inside your bike.
Not sure what i'll do.

post #21 of 40 Old 03-10-2014, 08:06 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

There's an ACDelco in Amazon IIRC. ND4 seems to be having good luck with his but then again his bike doesn't see under 50*

I remember he posted somewhere about it. Say man, when you need the troll for something he's too busy off riding. When you don't he's in here saying how great of a ride he just had.

*edit: FOUND IT! $35 with shipping, shoot that's a deal. 7 reviews only though, I wonder if ACDelco really made it or they just stuck a label on. http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ATZ10S...1&s=automotive

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #22 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
There's an ACDelco in Amazon IIRC. ND4 seems to be having good luck with his but then again his bike doesn't see under 50*

I remember he posted somewhere about it. Say man, when you need the troll for something he's too busy off riding. When you don't he's in here saying how great of a ride he just had.

*edit: FOUND IT! $35 with shipping, shoot that's a deal. 7 reviews only though, I wonder if ACDelco really made it or they just stuck a label on. ACDelco ATZ10SBS (10S-BS) Maintenance Free Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Powersport Battery : Amazon.com : Automotive
I have one of those on the shelf when I need a new battery.

My OEM lasted about 30K miles.

Replaced it with this one . It has lasted 35K miles and shows no signs of failing. I keep my bike on the tender most of the time in the winter, even though I try to ride at least once a week.

post #23 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 04:26 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
As with everything else in life you get exactly what you pay for! My Yuasa still cranks like one of the devil's lesser minions is hot on its heels and shows no evidence of degradation after more than five years of use. In my book the original purchase price of slightly more than $100 is well worth it strictly from a peace of mind point of view.Rob
OEM Yuasa on the 919 went in service 2/04 and lasted to 8/12 via a tender over 62,280 miles.

The Yuasa on my ST is still hanging in from 8/04 and 46K. A spare is on the shelf.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #24 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I have one of those on the shelf when I need a new battery.

My OEM lasted about 30K miles.

Replaced it with this one . It has lasted 35K miles and shows no signs of failing. I keep my bike on the tender most of the time in the winter, even though I try to ride at least once a week.
I still think that's the same battery I have but with a different label.

I search around a bit last night and saw many good reviews for the xtreme battery I have, I also saw some failures, I also some people that had Yuasas fail within a year.

I've never had any issues with Yuasas other than the price. Amazon has one for $115, that's not that bad...
post #25 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 06:27 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I still think that's the same battery I have but with a different label.

I search around a bit last night and saw many good reviews for the xtreme battery I have, I also saw some failures, I also some people that had Yuasas fail within a year.

I've never had any issues with Yuasas other than the price. Amazon has one for $115, that's not that bad...
$115 seems like a great price for a Yuasa. Buy it!

post #26 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

I was thinking about pulling the trigger but I think I'll wait until next year.

*crosses fingers*
post #27 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
$115 seems like a great price for a Yuasa. Buy it!
Sheesh, $115 for an old lead-acid? FFS, just go lithium at that price!

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #28 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
The lithium batteries are too light and bounce around like an empty soda can in the trunk of your car

post #29 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
The lithium batteries are too light and bounce around like an empty soda can in the trunk of your car
Some of the lithium batteries I have seen usually come with a styrofoam packaging (or cellular foam sometimes) and it is made so you can cut the foam pieces and use it to create a spacer in the battery box that prevents it from bouncing around.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #30 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
Some of the lithium batteries I have seen usually come with a styrofoam packaging (or cellular foam sometimes) and it is made so you can cut the foam pieces and use it to create a spacer in the battery box that prevents it from bouncing around.
Crazy right? My 599 got so light after putting my lithium in that I had to put more weights in the tires to keep it on the road.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #31 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Crazy right? My 599 got so light after putting my lithium in that I had to put more weights in the tires to keep it on the road.

You may have ordered a Helium Battery by mistake.

You can also stuff the battery box with popcorn to keep it from rattling around

post #32 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Do you have a good thread for recommendations? Looking for a new battery.
post #33 of 40 Old 03-11-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Is it true a lighter battery allows the bike to hold more fuel?
post #34 of 40 Old 03-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Is it true a lighter battery allows the bike to hold more fuel?
Don't know man, but someone here has one of those extra large tanks... I replaced my OEM battery with Li one and I still have the old one. If you want it, it's yours free. If I remember, you're in Laurel. I work in Greenbelt and we could meet so you can have it.

post #35 of 40 Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Tirone

Lithium is awesome. Shorai lithium batteries come with different thickness pre-cut memory foam sheets with adhesive on them so you can stick them on your battery or in your battery box. My battery is securely installed and has seemingly endless juice.

You can get a shorai for around that price point or less depending on where you shop. I paid $139 from a local batteries plus store when I got stranded by my dead original OEM battery (2007 919).

post #36 of 40 Old 03-13-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todi View Post
Don't know man, but someone here has one of those extra large tanks... I replaced my OEM battery with Li one and I still have the old one. If you want it, it's yours free. If I remember, you're in Laurel. I work in Greenbelt and we could meet so you can have it.
Thanks for the offer! I'm about 10 minutes from Laurel. However I did get the replacement under warranty, its just a matter of what to change it out to next year.

Here's a put back together picture right before I took it out for a ride.

Rotella oil change, new battery and a new front tire.
post #37 of 40 Old 03-14-2014, 06:02 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Best color right there

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #38 of 40 Old 03-15-2014, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Best color right there
Aspen white does look good.
post #39 of 40 Old 03-15-2014, 08:59 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Well you don't see too many of those in white, at least not around here. Did you sell your monster Z? Wasn't it putting out somewhere around 400+ ponies?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #40 of 40 Old 03-16-2014, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Yeah Z Has been long gone. Needed the garage space. Now both bikes have a home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode