MTN bike techical question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 12-16-2008, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

MTN bike techical question

Look at the picture. See how the rear wheel centerline is about 4-5mm to the left of the frame centerline.
Is this something I can adjust back to center by removing the cassette and adjusting the alignment on the axle shaft?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1178.jpg (77.9 KB, 43 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Look at the picture. See how the rear wheel centerline is about 4-5mm to the left of the frame centerline.
Is this something I can adjust back to center by removing the cassette and adjusting the alignment on the axle shaft?
Before you do anything with the weel or dish shift the chain into the smallest ring on the front and the biggest cog on the back and see how close it gets to the tire. Most bikes do have some offest there to prevent the chain hooking on the tire in low gears.

post #3 of 12 Old 12-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

When I build a wheelset, I use one of these:
Park Dish Tool
I run multiple wheelsets on the same bike and this allows me to swap without needing to make adjusments to the brakes (other than open or close for wider or narrower wheels).
Check the distance between the mounting point and the wheel face. They should be the same from side-to-side. This is easiest without the tire mounted.
No need to remove the cassette. The adjustment is made loosening and tightening the spokes. The link explains this.
That being said, check to see that the wheel axle is in the drop-outs correctly. I like to put a bit of weight on the frame while the skewers are loose, then tighten them up. This ensures that they are seated all the way in and won't shift when you encounter a large bump.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I don't think I'd worry about it. How fast are you planning to go?

post #5 of 12 Old 12-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I have a dish tool and a trueing stand.....

Never should you need to make an adjustment ever at the axle!

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #6 of 12 Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

When a deal is too good to be true...j/k

As said check the wheel dish, if it's good you are done and it's a feature that won't have much impact, except on your attention to detail. I'd only be concerned if the dish was bad, weakening the wheel, which is impossible for a factory wheel, but for aftermarket repair the high school kid could have put the short spokes on the left side. Fixing that requires a wheel rebuild and flip spoke sides. The old school through axle rear hubs allowed moving spacers around to change dish, but now not so on integrated rear hubs. Is the frame spacing to the axle washers tight?

post #7 of 12 Old 12-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Tirone is the Cool Dude

hard to see exactly why the wheel is canted like that but I would guess it is a simple adjustment. Hopefully if you loosen the quick release and push the wheel/axle in the correct spot and then re-tighten the quick release you should be ok. Hope that is it.

post #8 of 12 Old 12-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Work Hard, Ride Home.

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

While the wheel may be slightly out of dish, all of the Stumpjumper frames look similar to that due to weld placement. Mine looked identical, and my wheel was properly dished. Don't worry too much about it.

post #9 of 12 Old 12-17-2008, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

Define dish please.

Is it the axial alignment of the rim with the hub?
As in, if the spokes were tighter on the hub's left and looser on the hub's right the wheel would be dished to the left, is that a decent understanding?

post #10 of 12 Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast10 View Post
Define dish please.

Is it the axial alignment of the rim with the hub?
As in, if the spokes were tighter on the hub's left and looser on the hub's right the wheel would be dished to the left, is that a decent understanding?
You got it! Borrow a shop's dish bar, remove your tire and check both sides that the rim is centered between the outer axle spacers. But if the wheel is properly tensioned (no threads showing) you can't move the "dish" much, say 1/4". Since pro-jeff clarified specialized bikes have that frame space "feature"...it's probably a non-issue and time to ride! Since my trails are sloppy, it's road bike time!

post #11 of 12 Old 12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase

Jet, WARNING: do not attempt to redish your wheel as a nubie or you will have to employ a local shop to reround it. Building wheels correctly requires much training from a pro. After what Jeff said I'd bet your dish is perfect.

Dishing to a frame isn't the wackiest idea I've ever heard. Our expert mechanic once trued our skinny race wheels to its imperfect sewup tire! Which was neat until I had a flat and he was gone.

post #12 of 12 Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Where did yo uget the bike ? If it were me, Id take it back to the shop and ask them whats up ! Nathans MTB need some adjustment after his second or third ride, I took it down to the shop and they went over the whole thing, for free !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode