Mount and balance your own tires, who's done it? - Wrist Twisters
 7Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 03-02-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Mount and balance your own tires, who's done it?

I saw where Harbor Freight has a tire balance rig for $39, probably $30 with coupon:

Motorcycle Wheel Balancer w/ Stand

I've seen videos of people doing this and it looks pretty simple. I have the Harbor Freight tire mount tool, so it would actually be about the cost of one off bike install (not accounting for weights).

So, who's done it and how well did it turn out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 03-02-2017, 01:40 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Just buy some Dynabeads and be done with it.
ariannasdaddy and Todi like this.

post #3 of 45 Old 03-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I have the harbor freight one. I did it and it is pretty straight forward. The only problem i had was using tire irons to put the new wheel on the rim. I ended up using huge zip ties lol. I'll never take my wheels to be balanced and mounted.

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)

post #4 of 45 Old 03-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Just buy some Dynabeads and be done with it.
I just found out about these. It makes sense. Ho many oz do you put in the front and rear?

Any complaints?

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)
post #5 of 45 Old 03-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

One ounce in the front two ounces in the rear

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
ariannasdaddy likes this.

Dan
post #6 of 45 Old 03-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I have done every tire change on my bike using tire irons and I have 93K miles, so it's been a few sets. On the last change, I didn't even bother balancing. Haven't noticed any ill effects, but we will see how the wear goes.

post #7 of 45 Old 03-02-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I have done every tire change on my bike using tire irons and I have 93K miles, so it's been a few sets. On the last change, I didn't even bother balancing. Haven't noticed any ill effects, but we will see how the wear goes.
So what tools do you use? I see some as a set and others solo, do you need more than one?

Tire Iron - 24" General Purpose Tire Iron

post #8 of 45 Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Dyna beads are great for commuting, but they cause issues with spirited riding, track days especially. Your wheels are only balanced when maintaining a speed, not under hard acceleration or deceleration. For 90% of people dyna beads work great, but for sport bike riders not so much. Also, super sticky track compounds tend to be...sticky so the beads wind up getting stuck to the tire after receiving a 150 mph centrifugal force. I got a buddy with a tire machine, and then I static balance my tire over two buckets, lol. Takes a while to get it 100% but I've had no problems.

post #9 of 45 Old 03-03-2017, 06:07 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
So what tools do you use? I see some as a set and others solo, do you need more than one?

Tire Iron - 24" General Purpose Tire Iron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAKIuSjPXxA
I use 3 tire irons.

Below is a thread I wrote up a long time ago. Post 13 has 3 videos that I watched to learn how to do it.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml?highlight=

post #10 of 45 Old 03-03-2017, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
I use 3 tire irons.

Below is a thread I wrote up a long time ago. Post 13 has 3 videos that I watched to learn how to do it.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml?highlight=
Interesting to see the different ways to do this. One video used large zip ties to skinny up the tire and get it both off and on.

I also noticed that Cycle Gear was cheap and I guess full service before. I called them yesterday and you have to bring in your stuff off the bike.

I had one quote nearly $100/tire, others were $40~50. Seems a bit much for something so quick.

post #11 of 45 Old 03-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Interesting to see the different ways to do this. One video used large zip ties to skinny up the tire and get it both off and on.

I also noticed that Cycle Gear was cheap and I guess full service before. I called them yesterday and you have to bring in your stuff off the bike.

I had one quote nearly $100/tire, others were $40~50. Seems a bit much for something so quick.
The zip tie thing to skinny up the tire really does help for getting the new tire on. Instead of zip ties, I use a few of these.

post #12 of 45 Old 03-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
The zip tie thing to skinny up the tire really does help for getting the new tire on. Instead of zip ties, I use a few of these.

Mike, you need to post your redneck tire bead breaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #13 of 45 Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todi View Post
Mike, you need to post your redneck tire bead breaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha....it's in the link I posted above. Still using it!

post #14 of 45 Old 03-04-2017, 05:20 AM
Tesserarius

Tip #1: While the old tire is still on the bike, Take a good, sharp Carpenters' Knife, and cut the tire right down the center of the tread. Once you break the bead, with a little Tire Slime, the half tire practically falls off. This also saves the time of having to remove the valve core, and later replacing the valve core; assuming you havent lost it.

Tip #2: Get a buddy to help. You just need a third hand, when it comes time to spoon that tire on. The buddy also comes in handy when it is time to shove the axle back in.

Tip #3: This is a good time to put in the Schmancy Looking, but relatively cheap, angled valve stems. Makes life a lot easier. KTM uses them in certain applications.

Ive been keeping a rough count of how many tires I have changed, for myself, and friends. I am up to around 60. Think of how much money that saved, compared to buying the tire at the dealership, and having them put it on.

post #15 of 45 Old 03-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Josh

Garage
I have the harbor freight rig, and use a No-Mar tire bar along with other various spoons. I use an eBay static balancer and stick-on weights. It saves me a ton of $ and costs me lots of time. The reason I started doing my own was because the local shop charged too much and usually didn't clean the bead, so the tires leaked. But I've never had a leaky tire when I mount my own.

post #16 of 45 Old 03-08-2017, 06:27 AM
The Cripple

I guess I'm just lucky, I buy tires that last long enough that I'm able to find a quality shop that mounts for cheap.

post #17 of 45 Old 03-08-2017, 01:25 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I do all my own tire changes in the privacy of my garage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tirescorghi.jpg (247.2 KB, 25 views)

post #18 of 45 Old 03-09-2017, 08:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Just did my first one last night! Went better than I thought it would... This is gonna save me a ton of time and money
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8385.jpg (148.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8386.jpg (200.6 KB, 24 views)

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #19 of 45 Old 03-09-2017, 08:25 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Started doing my own after CycleGear did a number on my rims (yeah, I know, but don't have many options here). I use spoons and rim protectors, and use a bike master balancer with stick-on weights. No issues so far, other than a fat lip from a spoon slipping during the final push on one of my DR tires. Wear your safety glasses, folks, just in case.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #20 of 45 Old 03-09-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

You would think with all the people here that do this themselves and the fact that it really doesn't take much time, that the shops would go back to $20 on bike service.

Seems like they could add to their bottom line with it, but for some reason, they've just priced themselves out of the market.

I guess it's like the brick-n-mortar stores failing as more shop online.

post #21 of 45 Old 03-09-2017, 02:41 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
You would think with all the people here that do this themselves and the fact that it really doesn't take much time, that the shops would go back to $20 on bike service.

Seems like they could add to their bottom line with it, but for some reason, they've just priced themselves out of the market.

I guess it's like the brick-n-mortar stores failing as more shop online.

No it's just not worth it to do it for $20 per tire. In the same time it takes remove, mount and balance a customers tire for a mere $20 I can make $80+ doing suspension tuning or service work. Additionally you don't have to deal with whiny ass customers that pitch a hissy fit when they get a tiny rub around the edge of their wheel rim from when the tire machine slips a little because they want their tires done on the coldest day of the fucking year and the rubber is hard as a brick.

That tire machine I have in my garage costs about $5000. If you did nothing, but tire changes every single day for 2 weeks straight, non stop from the moment you walked in the door to the second you left the building you still wouldn't pay for the cost of the machine alone let alone lube or tire weights or the air compressor that runs it or the lights in the building... There just isn't that much tire business coming through the doors

post #22 of 45 Old 03-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

What? You actually want to get rich working

Dan
post #23 of 45 Old 03-09-2017, 04:00 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
What? You actually want to get rich working
Well since my last name is not Sanchez or Rahal nobody seems to want to give me anything for free

post #24 of 45 Old 03-10-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
No it's just not worth it to do it for $20 per tire. In the same time it takes remove, mount and balance a customers tire for a mere $20 I can make $80+ doing suspension tuning or service work. Additionally you don't have to deal with whiny ass customers that pitch a hissy fit when they get a tiny rub around the edge of their wheel rim from when the tire machine slips a little because they want their tires done on the coldest day of the fucking year and the rubber is hard as a brick.

That tire machine I have in my garage costs about $5000. If you did nothing, but tire changes every single day for 2 weeks straight, non stop from the moment you walked in the door to the second you left the building you still wouldn't pay for the cost of the machine alone let alone lube or tire weights or the air compressor that runs it or the lights in the building... There just isn't that much tire business coming through the doors
Good thing it's not that hard for regular people to do.

Good point on the economics.

post #25 of 45 Old 03-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Honestly... the 919 is a pretty easy bike to change tires on. That's not always the case. There's all sorts of mickey mouse shit out there where you have to take what feels like half the bike apart just to get the axle clear (fucking scooters and cruisers are the worst), tubed tires add time and risk of things going wrong (pinched tube, or the customer is a cheapskate and wants to reuse his crusty tube that dates back to the first Bush administration), people bring in disgusting dirtbike wheels with heavy duty tubes and rimlocks and they don't tell you what it's off of so it turns out you put the tire on backwards and you have to do it again, any bike that's not a brand your shop carries adds time because you gotta find torque specs to put it back together, especially when it's a Harley and now you have to scrounge around for your SAE tools when you work at a euro shop, people order tires off sketchycheapmotorcyclepartswarehouse.com and have them shipped to the shop and they're three years old, saran wrapped and then transported on a freezing truck so they're hard as a rock and won't bead up without 150% more curse words than the manual calls for, or they get the wrong size altogether, if it's a single sided swingarm bike now we have to get the adapter for the balancer...

Now imagine you're changing tires for $20, and you run into any of that shit... just to put things into perspective, $20 is 0.16hr labor at the shop I work at. That's 9 minutes and 40 seconds. Y'all go ahead and try to change both tires on your bike in under 19 minutes and 20 seconds total and let me know what you think
badmoon692008 likes this.

Fine, I'm adding a signature, leave me alone!
post #26 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Getting fresh tires is another issue. Esp with people that don't do a lot of miles. I made a mistake when restoring an older bike, I bought the tires early. They were old before they were used.

As far as the economics go, it's a matter of making things not worth doing. There's a lot of costs in a business that people don't really understand. They might see something on the shelf and think that product only costs $1 and they're selling it for $3, what a ripoff.

It costs a lot to have things shipped and pay ins, rent, labor, security and then pay to have things "at the ready" on the shelf.

Same with the labor for changing a tire. Back in college, I worked at CostCo, the tire center was very popular because it was cheap. They tagged along with a warehouse that was basically a grocery store / dept store / wholesale combo. They dist the cost over the many and it ends up cheap.

That doesn't work for a local shop. They just can't compete, so they don't.

post #27 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 10:47 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Yup this business has lots of pitfalls and behind the scenes crap and it goes both ways... I had a guy yesterday that placed a website order for some Brembo rotors for a bike that hasn't been in production for over 6 years. He was pretty irate that not only did I not have those rotors just sitting on my shelf ready to go in the event that someone decided to randomly buy a set for a 6+ year old bike, but the one and only US Distributor for those rotors doesn't have them either and I should have known that and listed them as backordered on my website so he would know up front they weren't available.

People don't realize that no shop is going to put thousands of dollars worth of parts on their shelves just in case someone might want some odd part someday. We, like every other shop, keep them listed for sale on the site and if and when someone wants a set we order them from the distributor. I mean back in the day we used to stock 1-2 sets of rotors on the shelf because there was a high probability that they would sell, but over a half a decade later the chances of selling a set for an old bike are virtually none and half the time when you do sell a set on your website it is a fraudulent transaction where someone in Colombia or China is trying to scam you on the credit card charge.

I mean I do stock a lot of Brembo brake products just not specific parts for older bikes with low probability of selling. I stock master cylinders for both clutch & brake, replacement levers, crash kits, remote adjusters etc. Things that I know people are going to need with regularity. I would be stupid to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to stock up on rotors and calipers unless that was the focal point of my motorcycle business and had the market share to make it worthwhile.

We specialize in Powercommanders, Ohlins Suspension, Sprocket and Chain Kits and brake pads so that is obviously what the majority of our inventory is.

post #28 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I had a guy pissed off at me yesterday because I didn't have access to his vin # on the truck he purchased new from us in 1993, it should be in the computer, I bought it from you

badmoon692008 likes this.

Dan
post #29 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 11:14 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

See you are such an asshole!

post #30 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

People keep telling me that, if they keep it up I might start to believe it

Dan
post #31 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Do you have a CRG roll-a-click lever pivot (they call it a rocker) for the 9er in stock? If not why not? WTF?

LDH likes this.

Dan
post #32 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 11:43 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
People keep telling me that, if they keep it up I might start to believe it

I don't even get to leave the shop until someone calls me an asshole.

post #33 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 11:54 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Was kinda laughing with the boss about this thread and he mentioned something I had totally left out in that the State of California also charges us a fee to dispose of every single tire. It's not cheap either like $5 each plus you have to use your own means of getting them to the center for disposal. Factor that in with the rest of the business costs associated with running the shop and your $20 tire change is probably costing you money rather than generating it.

post #34 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

But seriously, do you have a clutch lever pivot?

Dan
post #35 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 12:09 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Another one? Really?

post #36 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

The last one was for the CBR900RR perch I have on it, I want to put the stock perch back on as an experiment

Dan
post #37 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 12:20 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Call us and talk to Joe or just come by

post #38 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 12:21 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

OkieDokie

Dan
post #39 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 12:27 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

He's saying the same lever should fit both btw

post #40 of 45 Old 03-15-2017, 01:04 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

The 900rr has that wierd 10mm drop between the perch and the lever (where mine broke) and the 9er should be flat, the 9er also appears to have more space between the pivot bolt and the cable

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode