metallic rattle sound at 3.5k rpms+ - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rmb

post #1 of 13 Old 05-18-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

metallic rattle sound at 3.5k rpms+

I got a quick question. My 2002 honda 919 makes a rattling sound when I rev the bike up. It's been doing it since I got it. I didn't think much of it when I bought the bike last weekend, but now I am a little worried that it may be something with the engine.

Here a quick vid:

I hope this is just a loose bolt vibrating or something. I will try to take the tank off this weekend and narrow down the problem. I am wondering if any one of you had a similar rattling.

2002 Honda 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-18-2016, 03:59 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Sounds like something rattling, check the crash bars for broken welds and check the exhaust mount on the bottom of the engine.

post #3 of 13 Old 05-18-2016, 07:24 PM
The Cripple

Givi.crash bars? Looks like it. If so, check the space that connects the two sides, behind the header. It rattles and spins freely no matter how tight you get the bolts. You'll have to get creative. I tried a bunch of rtv gasket but didn't hold up after a while regardless of how much I put on. I'm now trying zip ties.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Givi.crash bars? Looks like it. If so, check the space that connects the two sides, behind the header. It rattles and spins freely no matter how tight you get the bolts. You'll have to get creative. I tried a bunch of rtv gasket but didn't hold up after a while regardless of how much I put on. I'm now trying zip ties.
Good point! I forgot about that... RTV is your friend! (worked for me)
Mark Hasten likes this.

post #5 of 13 Old 05-18-2016, 10:32 PM
Mark Murder

If you are talking about high temp silicone, rmb, then I totally agree!

I have been experiencing an awful rattle and today I finally got around to fixing it! In fact, I was going to make my first post about it when I found this one!

The biggest culprit for my 2004 was the inner bezel of the headlight. After swapping my handlebars earlier today, I went for a little spin around my neighborhood without my helmet (which I recommend doing responsibly to find noises) and the sound was awful.

I pulled apart my headlight for the first time by removing the two screws on the side. The inner bezel is held on by 3 metal clips that can become bent and loose. Once I got it out, I applied a thin layer of high temp silicone. If you decide to do this, make sure you to use your applicator tip to spread it evenly.

I haven't had a chance to go for another test ride, but I am confident that it will be better. The assembly seems a lot more solid now and the bezel sits snug. If you have trouble getting the last clip on, I had a lot of luck feeding some 26g wire under the clip and pulling it up to secure.

One other thing that I will mention, is that the engine sounds can reverberate more intensely if your gas tank is empty. I've never heard anyone else's 919 in person, but the engine (especially before it has been warmed up) has been described as sounding like a sewing machine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty accurate.

Happy riding!

-MM

Ninja edit: It DEFINITELY sounds like the headlight in your video

post #6 of 13 Old 05-20-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
I am not sure what Givi crash bars are but I believe mine are stock. I went to see under the bike and yes, there is this "washer" or whatever that is free to spin and rattle. I held it with my fingers while I had someone rev the engine. I think most of the noise is gone but I believe I still heard some other foreign vibration sound. I will try high temp silicone and after that I may try zip ties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hasten View Post
If you are talking about high temp silicone, rmb, then I totally agree!

I have been experiencing an awful rattle and today I finally got around to fixing it! In fact, I was going to make my first post about it when I found this one!

The biggest culprit for my 2004 was the inner bezel of the headlight. After swapping my handlebars earlier today, I went for a little spin around my neighborhood without my helmet (which I recommend doing responsibly to find noises) and the sound was awful.

I pulled apart my headlight for the first time by removing the two screws on the side. The inner bezel is held on by 3 metal clips that can become bent and loose. Once I got it out, I applied a thin layer of high temp silicone. If you decide to do this, make sure you to use your applicator tip to spread it evenly.

I haven't had a chance to go for another test ride, but I am confident that it will be better. The assembly seems a lot more solid now and the bezel sits snug. If you have trouble getting the last clip on, I had a lot of luck feeding some 26g wire under the clip and pulling it up to secure.

One other thing that I will mention, is that the engine sounds can reverberate more intensely if your gas tank is empty. I've never heard anyone else's 919 in person, but the engine (especially before it has been warmed up) has been described as sounding like a sewing machine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's pretty accurate.

Happy riding!

-MM

Ninja edit: It DEFINITELY sounds like the headlight in your video
I will check out the headlight if the sound is not fixed by securing crash bar connector.

Thanks!

2002 Honda 919
post #7 of 13 Old 05-20-2016, 04:50 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Your crash bars are not OEM, they are made by Givi.

post #8 of 13 Old 05-20-2016, 05:28 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Your crash bars are not OEM, they are made by Givi.
+1. They are good crash bars. The spacer will definitely create a lot of racket.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-20-2016, 06:37 PM
Stink Blade

I put a worm clamp around where the bars join in front. It seems to help a little. I was trying to figure out how to remove these crash gurds but got hung up where the acorn nuts are near the radiator. Do you have to remove the Y connector in the exhaust to remove these bars ? I cant wait to get them off the bike.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-20-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I applied some high temp silicone on the spacer tonight. We'll see if that helps.
I rode the bike earlier today and I heard a faint buzzing sound in addition to the sound heard in the video. I will take apart the headlight tomorrow and see if there's some loose parts there as well.

2002 Honda 919
post #11 of 13 Old 05-23-2016, 12:31 PM
Discen

The sewing machine/Jetsons car sound is my main pet peeve about this bike. It bothers me a lot sometimes. Especially if someone pulls along side of me and asks if that raucous noise is normal.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatech9 View Post
The sewing machine/Jetsons car sound is my main pet peeve about this bike. It bothers me a lot sometimes. Especially if someone pulls along side of me and asks if that raucous noise is normal.
The stock exhaust had the worst sewing machine sound at idle. Under load it sounded pretty decent from what I remember.

post #13 of 13 Old 05-23-2016, 01:44 PM
GLG-20

Garage
I thought the sewing machine sound came more from the motor itself than the exhaust; I think louder exhaust just does a better job of hiding it.

Never bothered me, but I always did want just a little more growl.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode