Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Mangled by the Machine...

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  PC1978 
#1 · (Edited)
Whilst riding home earlier, filtering through the q traffic, I was knocked down by a car turning into a petrol station across my lane, moving in the opposite direction. I was within my lane and the fuckers started their turn, as I saw them and tried to slow and turn to the left, but they went into the lane, turning right, a couple of feet or so beyond the centre line, knocking me down. All happened so quick. The first thing I did was crawl to my feet and start roaring and snarling, with a long line of traffic banked up...A lady and chap got out their cars to see if I was okay, as I hobbled to my feet and was probably a bit dazed, certainly shaken, but thankfully had my Dririder Adventure jacket on so was just a bit banged up by hitting the road with the bike on me and the shock.

The driver and his chum were immediately saying it was all my fault, the bike laying on the road, and the two who saw it, who had got out their cars, were explaining NO, it was his right of way, you turned across the lane...

We wheeled the bike into the petrol station, and I was dazed, and waved away the lady trying to offer her details, but had taken some quick photos of the car stationary and a couple of feet into its turn across the yellow line down the middle of the road, before they moved it.

The bar end left mirror was snapped off, paint on the front right fork where we had collided (which is blue but the car was red!?), and it took some ranting, then me suggesting they must pay for the mirror, at least...couldnt start the thing, with a push even, fuel blockage or air in there, and the drivers mate who was trying to help, got me to open the tank and cupped his mouth over it and blew...tried again and it started up.

I got their registration in the photos, and he gave me his phone number. And I will ask them to pay for the mirror and a new helmet.

Should I also get the forks checked and elsewhere by my mechanic?

I had probably slowed to about 15-25km/h when we collided. And thankfully he had moved into the lane slowly. Had seen me at the last second and was not moving with much momentum as was stationary beforehand and probably more of a clip, as well as my evasive action to throw the bike left before impact.

They kept saying it was my fault. Well the driver did, his mate seemed just eager to help and solve the issue.

Poor 919 eh!

I think I have to report it to the copshop, as damage was taken in a road traffic accident, and will head there tomorrow. A shame I was too dazed and confused to follow through with the lady's offer of taking her details as a witness, but the driver who hit me assumed when I was speaking to her and had my phone in hand that I had her details as a witness.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry for the poor light! Thought I would just make sure that nobody could see anything bent! Will take some clearer shots tomorrow. And was planning on getting the front fork oil changed by my mechanic next weekend, so will ask him to also check the forks and for any other damage.

Attachments

#3 ·
Poet, in the US, any time there's any damage, someone HAS to call the police. The other driver owes you for the mirror, and anything else that got damaged. I've fallen off a couple of times. There was more damage to the bike than you see at the time of the accident.

It's a shame you and your 919 got banged up. Stuff can be replaced. You seem to have taken it very well. Glad your ok.

#4 ·
Appreciate the well wishes, comrade! And I am fine, just a little sore. More bothered by the probable effort required to get any gold from the driver to pay for damages, as I don't have fully comprehensive insurance. Yet if its just the mirror ($16) and a helmet ($150) then its not the end of the world, for it could have been much worse. I will however be in a different mindset if the troll king Goran mechanic checks the bike out and tells me that something more costly is required to deem the thing safe! I will report the incident to the copshop tomorrow. And inform the driver I am seeking an appraisal from a mechanic.

#6 ·
Damn...Cages just don't see us.
I'm glad the damage to you and your bike was only minor. Could've been worse.
If your bike tracks straight and feels straight to ride then all should be good.
I got spare fork tubes if ya need any.
Good luck getting any money out of that driver. No cops, no insurance and no remorse.

#8 ·
I had a similar accident on my last bike and while the damage was mostly scrapes and bends and I still rode it home from the crash it ended up being totaled out. Their insurance gave me enough money to buy my 919 so it ended up being a win for me. Recommend in the future you at least get a witness and their insurance info (even if you end up settling with them for cash it's nice to have that information) and realistically it makes the most sense to have the police come take a report. Especially if he's trying to claim it was your fault when it definitely wasn't. I wish you luck trying to get reimbursed but you've definitely put yourself on the back foot.

#9 ·
I had an accident in my car with a dispute over fault.
The other driver insisted the police come (I wanted them to come also), since she claimed it was my fault.

I was turning right on a green arrow.
She was running a yellow/red light turning left.
Would have been fine if she turned into the left lane as I stayed in the right lane (we were both turning onto a road that had 2 lanes in the direction we were heading).
Instead she just went straight into the right lane where I was and ran into the side of me.
Said that since she started to make the turn first she had the right of way.

Police ticketed her for running the light and illegal lane change right into me.
She/her insurance still tried to pin me with 50% fault, even after she was cited.
Me and my insurance weren’t having any of that. Insurance companies couldn’t resolve amicably so it went to third party binding arbitration.
The nail in the coffin for her was her paying the ticket, which is pleading guilty to the charge.
Arbitrator decided 100% her fault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.