Magnetic oil drain plug. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 03-06-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Magnetic oil drain plug.

I would like to get a magnetic drain plug for my 919. I've read a few posts about these and it seems that magnets are denatured by heat. Few magnetic plug suppliers that I have looked at (ebay) explain what type of magnet is used.
My questions are, will they all work regardless of magnet type? Also would it be better to get a drain plug made from steel? I see some are aluminum.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-06-2017, 04:40 PM
McTavish

This needs a full technical paper to properly answer.
Here's a brutally short story.
Magnets exposed to temperatures up to their Normal Operating Temp Limit are not affected by the heat.
Magnets exposed to a temperature beyond the Normal Limit, but below the Curie Limit, will lose strength, recover some of it after cooling, but experience a permanent loss of strength.
Magnets exposed to their Curie (temperature) Limit or above, lose 100 % of their strength, have zero recover after cooling, so in other words, are totally ruined.

In terms of a 919 magnetic trap, the rare earth magnetic material Neodymium would be fine for a magnetic trap bathed in sump oil, as long as the oil temp doesn't exceed 250 F or so.
Of course, if your 919 had an oil temp at the trap of 250 F, the magnet is the last thing to be concerned about !

Personally, if I was looking at magnetic trap drain bolts, I'd want a magnet type that would not lose any strength due to temperature range it was intended to be exposed to.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I just googled "magnetic drain plug" and it seems there are ones that are designed specifically for what you are asking. Whether or not they actually work, I wouldn't know.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
919 Rider

Thanks for the advice. Ended up getting a Dimple magnetic plug. American made, with a high temp magnet. They have a good website, turns out they make hydraulic sump plugs for a Howitzer cannon.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 04:53 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Thanks for the advice. Ended up getting a Dimple magnetic plug. American made, with a high temp magnet. They have a good website, turns out they make hydraulic sump plugs for a Howitzer cannon.
Happy ending, and it's a co-opted artillery part no less ! LoL

post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 06:13 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Happy ending, and it's a co-opted artillery part no less ! LoL
+1, that's freaking sweet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode