Lubed throttle cable, can't reinstall - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By fairlylogical

post #1 of 10 Old 02-23-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Lubed throttle cable, can't reinstall

Hi guys, my throttle wasn't returning freely so I figured it needed to be lubed. Well after taking both cables out and kubing it, I'm having one hell of a time trying to put it back. Is there a trick to this? I can only put one cable back and the other one is out of slack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-24-2019, 06:19 PM
919 Rider

I'm not to sure what you've done. More info, maybe a picture.
Are you having trouble getting the cable ends back in place or there is too much slack that you can't take up once the ends are in. Are you using the adjuster nuts?

post #3 of 10 Old 02-24-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

There's not enough cable slack to put the ends back in place at the handlebar. Do i need to lift the gas tank to get to disconnect the throttle body end, reinstall the handlebar end, and then reinstall on the throttle body?

post #4 of 10 Old 02-24-2019, 07:47 PM
919 Rider

No you should not have to touch the throttle body. It's basically the reverse of what you did to get it off. It can be fiddly and look as if you don't have enough but it will slip over at some point. I use a Leatherman or needle nose pliers to flick that last bit over. You have to find as much slack as you can with all the adjusters on the cables at the top. I'm pretty sure I have the throttle all one way with one cable end already seated then just flick/position the other.
If you get stuck I will pull mine out, lube it all and put it back in with some pics.

post #5 of 10 Old 02-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlylogical View Post
There's not enough cable slack to put the ends back in place at the handlebar. Do i need to lift the gas tank to get to disconnect the throttle body end, reinstall the handlebar end, and then reinstall on the throttle body?
Lifting the tank provides access to the lower adjusters for the throttle cables. The upper adjuster is only for fine adjustments. You can see this on page 3-5 of the service manual. Lifing the tank is easy and will help provide access to better lube the mechanism.

Good luck.

post #6 of 10 Old 02-25-2019, 04:32 PM
919 Rider

Here's a picture of my cables just about to slip back in. I have the bottom one already in but sitting against the handlebar not the tube. You get a bit of extra slack that way. The top cable end is in and I gently grab the cable with needle nose pliers and pull into groove. The bottom cable easily slips onto the throttle tube with a finger. Tighten it all up.
I remove end bar weight to make it easy.
I never had touch the bottom adjusters at the throttle body. Which are a PITA to get at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190226_110814-1_1551140947182.jpg (81.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190226_100754-1_1551141034469.jpg (107.5 KB, 4 views)

post #7 of 10 Old 02-25-2019, 10:01 PM
919 Rider

Another way is to remove bar end weight, lossen handlebar mounts and move bars across. Undo right hand switch assembly, disconnect electrics and slide the throttle tube off. It's easy to get the cables off and on then. See pic. It's not a hornet but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThrottleTamer_0102b_resize_1551160800683.JPG (199.3 KB, 4 views)

post #8 of 10 Old 02-26-2019, 02:55 AM
Pilus Posterior

IDK if this helps or not, but on another bike, I removed the carbs many times. I used to open the throttle on the carb all the way, hold them with something, then use needle nose pliers to thread the end into the holder. Then I was able to release the throttle to thread the 2nd cable end.

It was so tricky, I'd thread the cables before I installed the carbs. IDK what it takes to remove the throttle bodies, but that might be less work.

Long needle nose pliers were my best friend.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

i got it back in, thanks islandboy.
Islandboy likes this.

post #10 of 10 Old 02-27-2019, 02:44 PM
919 Rider

I was wondering how you got along.
I'm glad you got it sorted and I was happy to help. Besides it gave me a chance to lube my cables. 😉

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode