Lowered my 9'er...Finally. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 12-26-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Lowered my 9'er...Finally.

OK so I've had the front of my 919 lowered for a while and ofcourse dealing with the harsh rear ride, geometry, yada yada as most expeienced riders know. Finally got my HyperPro Lowering block in the other day and installed it. Now everything is nice and balanced again, mind you I still have to reinstall my Racetech front springs and get the pre-load setup. Thought you'd enjoy a few pics. Lowered 30mm Rear and 35mm Front.

My home built adapter for my pipe bender...

My top end securing link so the shock doesn't come flying out of the press...

In action and new end fitted...

And...the finished product

Can't wait to get the fronts swapped back out this weekend and test it out...already rides so much better

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-26-2013, 02:55 AM
Discen

So the kit consists in one piece that compress the spring more. Doesn't it change the rebound and lengh of travel parameters?

I'm interested, but i ride with pillion most of time, and this way i think i can reach bottom too early.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #3 of 15 Old 12-26-2013, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

No this block replaces the lower bolt mount (The lower aluminum peice of the shock is 10mm shorter). Changes nothing as far as settings, preload, firmness or anything. Completely functions like stock, stock wheel travel too, only overall shock length is shortened by 10mm=30mm at the axle. But this one only works on the '02-'03 shocks that DON'T have rebound adjustability.

Then of course you should lower the front so your geometry is still correct. This is how I did mine as discussed in another thread with other mods to the front.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Ian

Love the DIY tooling! Well done man.

post #5 of 15 Old 12-26-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks HeliMech

post #6 of 15 Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth919 View Post
No this block replaces the lower bolt mount (The lower aluminum peice of the shock is 10mm shorter). Changes nothing as far as settings, preload, firmness or anything. Completely functions like stock, stock wheel travel too, only overall shock length is shortened by 10mm=30mm at the axle. But this one only works on the '02-'03 shocks that DON'T have rebound adjustability.

Then of course you should lower the front so your geometry is still correct. This is how I did mine as discussed in another thread with other mods to the front.
Sounds great then. I'll see.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #7 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Just thought I'd add a couple better pictures of her after I've dialed her in. Swapped my 100kg fork springs back in with 15mm of preload and rear shock is set at notch 6...seems to be balanced quite well now-for of course stock suspension. Also took her out for a 75 mile ride today

post #8 of 15 Old 01-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Looks great man!

post #9 of 15 Old 01-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Tirone

Fantastic That is what I was talking about. 10 mm on the shock lowers the Bike 30mm . Great.

post #10 of 15 Old 03-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
no this block replaces the lower bolt mount (The lower aluminum peice of the shock is 10mm shorter). Changes nothing as far as settings, preload, firmness or anything. Completely functions like stock, stock wheel travel too, only overall shock length is shortened by 10mm=30mm at the axle. But this one only works on the '02-'03 shocks that DON'T have rebound adjustability.
I don't see how this wouldn't affect the swing arm travel.. you're essentially reducing the length of the shock by 10mm, which brings the swing arm closer to the tail doesn't it? thus reducing travel?

know of an option for the 04+?
I've still got to dial in my suspension, but i'm literally holding my self up by a toe at times (5'5" tall).

post #11 of 15 Old 03-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Tirone

Thumbs up

So this is about 1 13/16" Lower ? that would be fantastic ... gonna get one for this stubby leg guy.. 29" inseam.. Thanks for the Pics..

post #12 of 15 Old 03-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Centurion

Hang on, back that truck up. Your using XX clip ons?

Could you use the XX top fork clamp as well?

post #13 of 15 Old 05-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Tirone

Question...

Ok, I am completely new to the 919, so you all forgive my ignorance (I'll even confess that I haven't even bought the bike yet... I am heading out to get it in the morning.) I am 5'4", so I am expecting that this bike is going to be a bit tall for me. Lowering sounds like a must. With that said, Stealth919, I have a question: In the first picture, you show a welded (seemingly custom fabricated) shock mount. Is that required when using the Hyperpro Lowering Link (which I found thanks to your picture of the bag!)? I have lowered many cars, so I certainly understand how monotube shock/ spring/ strut assemblies work, but I haven't done much with motorcycles. Thanks for any clarification you might offer to the newb.

post #14 of 15 Old 05-06-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

As far as the top triple clamp not sure but I don't think it matches the center spindle for the frame stem.

As far as the welded steel pieces, those were all attachments I fabricated to convert my pipe bender into a shock compressor so I could remove the factory lower shock stem mount.

I have since swapped my stock fork springs back in and reduced my rear preload setting to #4 for a much better ride. I've lost enough weight that it was quite a firm ride with the 1kg Racetech springs.

post #15 of 15 Old 05-06-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I've also finally shortened my side stand by 20mm so it sit right and not almost standing straight up anymore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode