Loving these new Oxford heated grips - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 12-13-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Loving these new Oxford heated grips

I know they've been discussed elsewhere on this forum, but just really adding a +1 for them here.

Here's what they do, and do not do:

Do - warm up pretty quickly, get plenty hot (I've never needed >40%), and delay the onset of frozen hands by at least a half hour.

Do not do - replace heated gloves for longer rides. If you are touring Alaska, these aren't really what you need.

What I use them for is to allow me to commute all the way down to around 38 degrees or so. My ride is 20-30 minutes in the morning, and without the heated grips I was having to wear the big bulky gloves AND still getting ice cold fingers. With these grips, I can wear the thinner gloves that I prefer, and I can make it to work before the hand misery sets in.

Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring Heated Grips - RevZilla

Installation wasn't exactly quick but it's pretty straightforward. The main reason it takes so long is just routing/hiding all the cables in the harness. But once you do all that, and mount the control module to the handlebar, you are good to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-13-2016, 08:28 PM
The Cripple

While I agree with you, I think a better first investment in heated gear would be a heated jacket. You'd be surprised how much longer you can ride with your core warm.

post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
While I agree with you, I think a better first investment in heated gear would be a heated jacket. You'd be surprised how much longer you can ride with your core warm.
I hear ya. But thanks to an ample layer of fat, my core stays warm enough during my 30m ride. The fingers though... man they get wicked cold without the heated grips.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernintendo View Post
I hear ya. But thanks to an ample layer of fat, my core stays warm enough during my 30m ride. The fingers though... man they get wicked cold without the heated grips.
You are braver than I. Between the cold and traffic getting into work in the morning, I've been taking the car over the bike. I take GA400 in and I'm not too keen on splitting lanes down that highway. Besides that, the number of people I see texting here while driving on the highway is obnoxious!

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #5 of 7 Old 05-04-2017, 11:44 AM
So Far So Good

Just my two centavos.

Certainly if your core is cold nothing else is going to be warm. The strategic problem is that you can layer yourself with long undies, flannel shirts, down sweaters and a winter riding suit (First Gear has been a life saver). Not so with your hands.

Even your feet can be greatly warmed up with those chemical heat packs. They are relatively cheap and last eight hours.

It is no fun when your fingers get cold. Your time to the front brake has to be decreased.

+1 for handwarmers.

All bets are off for smokers. Nicotine constricts blood vessels.

Supernintend, where did you mount the switch in your set up?

post #6 of 7 Old 05-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Left of Centre

I'll butt in.

Clutch side - can get a thumb to the buttons with hand still on bar, with a bit of a reach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1763.jpg (125.6 KB, 14 views)

post #7 of 7 Old 05-05-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
I'll butt in.

Clutch side - can get a thumb to the buttons with hand still on bar, with a bit of a reach.
Yep right there on mine too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode