loud grinding noise in gear - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NY919

post #1 of 13 Old 07-01-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

loud grinding noise in gear

There's an off and on grinding noise that has me perplexed. It sounds serious, so I've stopped riding til I figure it out. (smart, huh?)

When I lift the 919's back wheel and the bike is running in 1st, it's really noticeable. It's definitely not chain slap, and the sound disappears when clutch is engaged.

I can't pinpoint exactly where it's emanating from but I'm wondering if the rear wheel bearings might be the cause. But there's no lateral play whatsoever, and I'm not sure bad bearings would make as loud a noise as I'm hearing. Plus, the wheel is still slightly spinning when clutch is engaged, and I would think that if it is bad bearings, they'd still be making noise. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

Has anyone had this issue? I miss my bike! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Left of Centre

I think you're on the right rack - bearings could be noisy, but also how lubed and aligned is your chain? You can get a decent noise from a dry chain or one with a tight spot...

post #3 of 13 Old 07-01-2017, 04:14 PM
919 Rider

Wouldn't hurt to check your driven flange bearing (rear sprocket bearing).

post #4 of 13 Old 07-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Was it also making the noise when you ride, or only when on the stand? If it was rear bearings there would be free play in the wheel. Did you have the wheel off recently?

post #5 of 13 Old 07-02-2017, 01:13 AM
Left of Centre

Follow-up qn: what do you mean when you say "clutch engaged"? Clutch lever pulled in, or let out?

post #6 of 13 Old 07-02-2017, 04:34 AM
919 Rider

Also how many km's on your chain and sprockets? Worn chain and sprockets can make some horrible noises, some sounds seem to echo from the gear box. I had something similar. Had around 17000km on my OEM set. They looked OK but sounded terrible, clunks and clonks, especially on centrestand. I thought my gearbox was knackered.

post #7 of 13 Old 07-02-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the responses! I had trouble logging in thus my late reply.

The rear wheel is perfectly aligned with zero play, and the chain has proper tension and is well lubed. When I spin the wheel in neutral only the sweet sound of a healthy drive is heard. It's only in gear that the clunking/grinding is there.

K1w1boy, when I pull in the clutch lever, disengaging gearbox, it disappears.

Islandboy, I hope you're right! Even though chain and sprockets look good, maybe that's the issue. They have about 35,000 miles. And, yeah, the sound seems to echo from the gearbox as well as from the rear wheel, so I can't pinpoint the exact location the sound emanates from. But it's one or the other, for sure. Maybe a stethoscope would help before I shell out big bucks to pay a pro to open up the crankcase? Anyone used a stethoscope on their bike I wonder?

I should add, I recently changed brake pads front and back and the bad sound started sometime after that but I think that's just coincidence. Brakes work well and, I think, sound good.

Marylandmike, wheel was taken off bike a couple years ago, and it was put back on correctly.

post #8 of 13 Old 07-02-2017, 02:49 PM
919 Rider

Don't touch your gearbox yet. They are bullet proof. At 35000 miles your chain and sprocket are most likely worn. Are they the original set? Is the chain near the end of the adjustment? They often look fine but are to far gone. I put a new set on and all the horrible sounds went. Please try a new set of both Chain and sprockets first.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-02-2017, 05:00 PM
919 Rider

I might have found something to help. It's a recent post in Mech and Tech called 919 front sprocket noise, post by lHellsent. He put up some video.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ise-75345.html

I'm a rotard on a computer so don't know if link will work. Good luck mate.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-03-2017, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Islandboy, chain and sprockets are original. The chain is pretty stretched, though not maxed. Sprockets show signs of wear, though not too bad. But the combo may well be the culprit. So I'm going to go on your past experience and replace both sprockets and chain and hope for the best. I've found that often the simplest solution to a bike's problem is the correct one, and I have a feeling your right about this. I will let you know. Ordering parts today!

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

post #11 of 13 Old 07-03-2017, 11:48 AM
919 Rider

Yep I agree, KISS "Keep it simple stupid". I must've heard my old Dad say that to me a hundred times. For sure your chain and sprockets are getting quite worn and noisy. Always replace both Chain and sprockets. I know from personal experience. Tried to cheap out and just replaced chain. Noise didn't go away. A chain and sprocket set wear as a set. You'll need to get yourself a chain rivet kit and think on reversing your swingarm bolt while you have the rear apart. There are benifits in future chain maintenance. You can get the chain off the bike without removing master link. Plus the swingarm bolt should get a grease. Repack your wheel bearings with grease as I'll bet they are getting dry too. One of my rear bearings was worn so I replaced both but just repacked the sprocket bearing. The original was very light on for grease. Either Honda don't put much in or it gets driven out of the bearings. Keep us posted on how you get on.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-26-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Changed chain and both sprockets and gravelly sound disappeared! You were right, Islandboy! Thanks!
TheScientist likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 07-27-2017, 04:52 AM
Milites Gregarius

Good stuff NY919. 35,000 miles on one set of chain and sprockets? Yikes! I always thought 15-20k was average. You must have had some magic foo foo dust going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Honda CB900 919 Hornet - Current
1999 Suzuki Bandit S1200 - sold
1986 Honda Magna V65 - sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode