Lost Running Light(s) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 07-21-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

Lost Running Light(s)

Just came from a sic day run down to the Gulf. Only mod made previously was to lower brake pedal for the longer day miles.

This morning's run, a motorist was kind enough to inform me one of my running lights was out. Got home to investigate. Pulled the lens cover and checked. Sure enough the right side was out but the brake lights worked fine. Inspected bulb, found no issues. Switched bulbs and still no running light. Put it all back together, now no running lights at all.

Rechecked bulbs. Both filaments on both bulbs appear good. Checked connectivity from connector to each bulb connector, all three wires good.
Checked fuse. Appears good and horn works (same line).

Readjusted brake light senor at pedal. the same way it was before lowering pedal. No difference.. Brake light(s) work as does the license plate light. . Just the running lights do not.

By my Watson process of elimination, there is a short between the fuse box and the green or is it the green/yellow wires? Am I missing something here?

Prefer to ask before I start tearing apart the wiring harness.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

P.S. the previous owner put on a fender elimination kit. Had to rewire the fender and electrics back. If there was a problem, think it would have been there, not with the brake light housing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-21-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

On further inspection, it seems that that green/yellow wire is not connected somewhere between the fuse and the connector. the brown to green works (which I assume is the brake light) so What? trace the green/yellow wire back to the fuse. ??

post #3 of 6 Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

On yet further investigation, it seems that the green wire should be for the night/running light as it runs off of the license plate light in the electrical diagram. .It would be a lot easier to tap there than tear apart the harness.

However, the brake light/brighter of the two goes on when I push/pull either brake.

. The electrical wiring diagram has the connector wires Gr-GY-Br while my connector has the hot Br wire in the middle.. Diagrams have been known to make mistakes, but more likely I am missing something.

Right now I am considering tapping into the blue wire of the license plate light (W/G in the diagram) to power the running bulbs.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-24-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
So Far So Good

Final Note: Tail light is what I meant in writing earlier night/running light.

post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2017, 04:22 PM
919 Rider

I'm just going of the wiring diagram, wires are hidden on my bike at the moment. You'll be fine using the power from the license plate light. According to the wiring diagram the power for the tailights and the license plate lights is common.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-25-2017, 05:54 PM
RIDE RED

Are you absolutely sure that you bulbs aren't burned out? Seem crazy I know but it happens. Both my tail light bulbs on the bike and one time both my headlights in my car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode