Losing and Gaining revs - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 11-23-2012, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
No 10

Losing and Gaining revs

Bike into the shop today;

told my throttle position sensor may be blown. if this is the case, the sensor comes attached to the metal piece it is screwed to and costs over $1000.00.

Anyone had to replace this unit ?

the FI blinked once, twice and eight times, it was the eighth time that indicated the throttle position sensor - mechanic is checking the wiring from the sensor to the computer and suggested it could be the cable or the fkking computer -

Anyone had to replace the computer in their hornet ? Not many wrecked hornets here, sydney australia, so not many second hand parts for the hornet.

I have everything crossed it is only the cable wiring, but if not, I will have to wreck my wallet for wreck my hornet - it is a 2002 model with 54 thousand kilometers on the clock, so is old, but not very worn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-23-2012, 04:34 AM
Ian

The TPS from a CBR600rr or most other similar era other inline-4 fuel injected Honda's can be used, I had a CBR600RR TPS on my 919 and it worked perfectly. Look for a TPS on EBAY or a damaged full rack of TB's with a good TPS, just pay attention and make sure it is from a Keihin rack of TB's with the round style cannon plug.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...art-30666.html

Removal Tips -

The two rivets that-attach it to the TB are actually "tamper proof" screws, so just drill the heads off and remove the TPS, then use vice grips to thread the remaining screw shank out and replace it with a similar thread machine screw. Before removal put a reference scribe line on your TB's so you can re-index the TPS back to it's original position.

post #3 of 8 Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 AM
919>food>beer

do a search around I did a write up on how to change it out and calibrate it as well... and you really don't even have to drill the heads off, you can just tap them in the right direction at an angle with a screwdriver and light mallet and they back right out.

I also Frankensteined a Honda cars tps on, but don't recommend it as its a real bitch.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Discen

I wonder if the 88-91 DPFI Civic TPS would work without mods.

post #5 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 10:00 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideleft View Post
Bike into the shop today;

told my throttle position sensor may be blown. if this is the case, the sensor comes attached to the metal piece it is screwed to and costs over $1000.00.

Anyone had to replace this unit ?

the FI blinked once, twice and eight times, it was the eighth time that indicated the throttle position sensor - mechanic is checking the wiring from the sensor to the computer and suggested it could be the cable or the fkking computer -

Anyone had to replace the computer in their hornet ? Not many wrecked hornets here, sydney australia, so not many second hand parts for the hornet.

I have everything crossed it is only the cable wiring, but if not, I will have to wreck my wallet for wreck my hornet - it is a 2002 model with 54 thousand kilometers on the clock, so is old, but not very worn.
Hmmmmm, I'm hearing my BCHS auto shop teacher again, a brilliant guy Willie was. This goes back over 40 years and if anything, it rings more valid now than it did then. He was ahead of his time. One of the best teachers I ever had.
"Guys, what was the last thing you did to the car, or the last thing the last guy did?"
"Guys, don't be a parts replacer!"
"Guys, always start by going back to the basics first. Higher level diagnostics go by the ladder of complexity".
"Guys, diagnose first, then fix."
"Guys, diagnose correctly first time so you only have to fix it once."

I've not heard of a duff ECU so view that as unlikely.
Have you tried to self check feature off your dash?
I trust you have the factory manual for all the codes info.
Keep in mind the following based on your stated 1, 2 & 8 blink code faults.
1 is MAP related ONLY
2 is MAP related ONLY
8 is TP related ONLY.
All three fault codes are for connections faults and/or duff sensors.
None indicate ECU involvement.
Unless an electrical event has fried multiple sensors at the same time, that leaves us with the probability of there being zero chance of a MAP and TP independently failing at the same time.
That leaves us with the only common denominator across all 3 codes that does not involve sensor failure(s), namely connections, in other words, continuity.

Hopefully the above helps you.

Try a PM to Mr. Tharlson if he does not chime in on this thread.
Rob is THE definitive electrical whiz on this web site.
No one else is even on the same page as Rob, but there are real sharpies amongst the rest.

post #6 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
No 10

Tanks, I am inclined to go with the old friend of McTavish - I am neither knowledgeable or skillful enough to cut corners and I and when I sell the 919, I'd like to point to the recently replaced parts (if they were expensive), citing them as points to consider for the buyer.

I should find out tomorrow or the day after.

The points raised about the blinks 'only' relating to MAP and/or TP were very helpful, thank you.

post #7 of 8 Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideleft View Post
Tanks, I am inclined to go with the old friend of McTavish - I am neither knowledgeable or skillful enough to cut corners and I and when I sell the 919, I'd like to point to the recently replaced parts (if they were expensive), citing them as points to consider for the buyer.

I should find out tomorrow or the day after.

The points raised about the blinks 'only' relating to MAP and/or TP were very helpful, thank you.
Pleased to assist and hope it all turns out well for you.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
No 10

I picked up my bike yesterday; the mechanic was unable to locate a source for the fault, as the areas identified by the 'blinks', the senors and/or MAP, did not show and problem.

Mechanic had a hornet in the shop that showed the same responses, in testing, to mine.

Mechanic cleared the cpu memory and suggested I just ride again, 'perhaps it was a intermittent fault and will be more clearly identified in the cpu memory as it will be a lone recording of a fault.'

Back on the road, with everything crossed, not confident crossing fingers is enough...

Thanks for the responses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode