Loosening Stock Bolts (handlebar install) - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark919
  • 1 Post By Mark919

post #1 of 12 Old 04-05-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Loosening Stock Bolts (handlebar install)

Tried to install my Renthal UL's today - no dice. I got as far as the 8mm bolts for the clutch and front brake lever, and they wouldn't budge at all. I went until I felt the head begin to round off, and backed off. All four of those suckers are on there mega tight. Even the four screws holding the control switch pods were extremely tight. The bike has just over 4k miles on it, and as far as I can tell the PO never modified the bars, and has never sat outside. I thought to soak them in PB Blaster but it's just metal against plastic, what could possibly be causing them to seize up?

So, has anyone else run into this problem when swapping their bars for the first time? Any tips to break them free? I have an electric impact gun but my sockets are in another place. Part of me is saying "wtf do I need an impact gun for to loosen 8mm bolts???" and the other part of me is just too plain lazy to drive and get the sockets.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Uh.. U using the right size? I can't imagine them being so tight they start to round. Shoot some pb in there and try working the bolt in both directions to help work it in there/break it loose. I'm not sure exactly which bolts you mean as I don't remember off the top of my head but if all else fails I'd give the gun a shot

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #3 of 12 Old 04-05-2017, 02:30 PM
McTavish

And are you trying to turn them the right way?
Something is off if you are having that much trouble, so don't take the question the wrong way.

If your Phillips head screwdriver is not a good match, you can easily ruin the pod screw heads.

Be sure to use 6 point sockets if you are having such trouble.
Shit off dimension cheapo 12 points could be the problem if that is what you are using.
I trust you are not try to cheat with near size inch stuff instead of legit metric.

Seeing as you have PB' why not try some on the lever assembly bolts.
If you use it on the control pods screws, you may find your screwdriver slipping more, so be careful of that.

All those parts are dry thread fastened.
If years have gone by since the date of manufacturer, expect at least some corrosion - noting there is dissimliar metal involved, and if the bike has been near the sea, or stored in a garage in winter with a regularly used parked car that sees salted roads, then corrosion is guaranteed and it is just a question of how much.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

So those are steel capscrews going into cast aluminum. No plastic there. And there can definitely be corrosion on the threads. That's why many mechanics would put grease or an anti seize on the threads when it's first taken apart.
The tools you use to take it apart are important! Don't use an open end or any 12 point wrench or socket. Use 6 point only socket and the hex head shouldn't round. If you don't have a 6 point 8mm, look to see if you have a 6 point in a 5/16" size. A 5/16" is almost identical to 8mm. Normally I'd heat up the aluminum if the bolt is stuck but that will ruin the paint so don't do that. Put the correct 6 point wrench on it and hit it with a hammer to loosen. The impact is more effective than slowly applied torque.
Good luck.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #5 of 12 Old 04-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Actually - the other thing you can do is take a hammer and hit the head of the 8mm capscrews several times. The impacts could help to break apart some of the corrosion in the aluminum threads.
And I do agree with mcromo44 w/ regard to inch size tools on metric fasteners but in this case the 5/16 hex is .0025" smaller than the 8mm. It's one of the few cases where the inch size is an ok substitute.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-05-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Yup, definitely sticking with metric 6 point sockets, I made the mistake of using inch-stuff on my on my Japanese cars one too many times. Although I was using some some sockets of unknown manufacture, maybe they were indeed slightly off. Then again, its a teen 8mm bolt, I can't imagine they should even give cheap shit sockets such trouble!

PB Blaster is in and soaking. Almost went at it with the torch but decided against it. I will try to tap them with a hammer a bit, see if that shakes anything loose.

Thanks folks.

Al
post #7 of 12 Old 04-05-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Well, I'm not sure if it was the hammer that did it or the bottle of beer I took a break to finish, but finally got those 8mm hex bolts broken loose. The handlebar clamp bolts were kinda tough too but I had those soaking in PB along with the 8mm bolts. I think I need to start hitting the gym

Anyhow, everything is off now, and I test fitted the Renthal UL in a few positions. Riding position is not as radically different than I had thought it would be from stock. Also realized that in all my reading, I must have missed where we had to drill TWO holes - one on each side. back to scouring old threads...

Al
post #8 of 12 Old 04-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

You don't actually have to drill any holes but that's a can of worms for another time

Dan
post #9 of 12 Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
Well, I'm not sure if it was the hammer that did it or the bottle of beer I took a break to finish, but finally got those 8mm hex bolts broken loose. The handlebar clamp bolts were kinda tough too but I had those soaking in PB along with the 8mm bolts. I think I need to start hitting the gym

Anyhow, everything is off now, and I test fitted the Renthal UL in a few positions. Riding position is not as radically different than I had thought it would be from stock. Also realized that in all my reading, I must have missed where we had to drill TWO holes - one on each side. back to scouring old threads...
OR grind off the pins, but then tape bars just right so in order that the control pods don't slip on the bars....................................

post #10 of 12 Old 04-05-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Whew! Done and done. Went ahead and drilled both sides. Don't have a work bench so I ended up using the triple tree as a clamp. Didn't have my bike stands with me either, so the drill bit ended up walking a bit due. Not the prettiest holes I ever drilled (har har har) and the signal switch pod is a little loose but the positions are right. Pictures in the morning!

Again not quite as aggressive a riding position as I had expected, but looks much better than stock as I also took the opportunity to swap out the stock mirrors for bar end mirrors.

post #11 of 12 Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahung12 View Post
Whew! Done and done. Went ahead and drilled both sides. Don't have a work bench so I ended up using the triple tree as a clamp. Didn't have my bike stands with me either, so the drill bit ended up walking a bit due. Not the prettiest holes I ever drilled (har har har) and the signal switch pod is a little loose but the positions are right. Pictures in the morning!

Again not quite as aggressive a riding position as I had expected, but looks much better than stock as I also took the opportunity to swap out the stock mirrors for bar end mirrors.
ULs are a practical bar and particularly so for hours at highway speeds, as the slight hunch more or less balances out the wind force - speed depending of course.

post #12 of 12 Old 04-06-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Yes, cannot wait to see how different they feel particularly at speed.

Before and After.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170405_131829-COLLAGE.jpg (204.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170406_100254.jpg (130.1 KB, 3 views)

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode