Looking to make the bike lane split better. Looking for break-away mirror/levers... - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By nathanktm
  • 1 Post By Trailing_Throttle
  • 1 Post By nathanktm

post #1 of 13 Old 02-21-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Looking to make the bike lane split better. Looking for break-away mirror/levers...

I nipped someone's mirror with my brake lever the other day. I'm gaining a lot of skill at weaving thru the narrow path, but sometimes it just doesn't workout.

I have the stock levers and they are maybe 2" longer than I need.

So I'm thinking the most I can do is to get shorter ones or make shorter and maybe bring them in a bit.

The other thing would be break away mirrors. I know they have them for trucks. Basically a spring loaded system where they have a notch and will give at a certain point. Anyone have any idea if these are made or can me made?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 06:11 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

As a person who wants lane splitting to be legal everywhere someday, I'm going to have to first suggest to not hit people's cars. I have super wide bars and giant mirrors and I can find my way through without problems, it just requires a bit of patience sometimes.

Next, if you're hitting levers, I'd get myself one of those gp style lever protectors cuz Idk if having your brake lever yanked is ever a fun experience.

I *think* stock mirrors spin off in the direction of impact, so just don't keep em too tight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
ewmin3m likes this.

post #3 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 06:47 AM
Discen

post #4 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
As a person who wants lane splitting to be legal everywhere someday, I'm going to have to first suggest to not hit people's cars. I have super wide bars and giant mirrors and I can find my way through without problems, it just requires a bit of patience sometimes.

Next, if you're hitting levers, I'd get myself one of those gp style lever protectors cuz Idk if having your brake lever yanked is ever a fun experience.

I *think* stock mirrors spin off in the direction of impact, so just don't keep em too tight.

There's no doubt about being careful, it's just when you have maybe a few inches at best, it's hard to have the degree of control. The road surface alone can move you around a bit.

The concern is that mirrors and handlebars are exactly in the range of car/truck mirrors. I'm thinking of some digital solution and then move the mirrors quite a bit forward then convert to convex. The stock mirrors are near worthless unless you like to look at your shoulders.

I used the convex mirrors on the Nighthawk and they really made a difference.

post #5 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Excellent catch!

I wonder how much shorter those bars ended up making things.

It also reminded me that my 700S has adjustable bars, I remember someone say they were sought after because they are adjustable and could be used on other bikes. I happen to have an extra set.

post #6 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 10:03 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

This is my current setup. The mirrors are great, but are pretty wide. If it gets tight I just do the little handlebar trick to squeeze through. If not, I find another way to get by

post #7 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
This is my current setup. The mirrors are great, but are pretty wide. If it gets tight I just do the little handlebar trick to squeeze through. If not, I find another way to get by

I like the "wider at the outer edge" design, that's where you'd want the extra space. That's where I put my convex stick ons on another bike.

The weave is great, but the tough part is when you have two sets of mirrors lined up. I've had to crawl thru some places and you're trying to hurry up because when the light turns green, I HATE being in the middle. You never know when some a$$ will try to pinch you in.

post #8 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 01:17 PM
919 Rider

https://www.doubletakemirror.com/
Found these.
I replaced my stock mirrors. For me the stock setup just didn't allow me to see behind easily without shifting about/out of the way.

post #9 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 07:46 PM
Tesserarius

You could cut probably 1.25" off both ends of your bars. Move all your controls inward. Then I lose those ginormous bar end weights.

I had a Coherce bar on my old 919. I wanted a narrow bar back then. You get used to it.

I remember thinking the bars on my 990 Super Duke were so wide, it was like being nailed to a cross. But I got used to that too.

The wingspan of the Super Duke is 36". (Mirrors end to end) The wingspan on the Streetfighter is 39". I don't think I'll be doing any lane splitting anytime soon.

post #10 of 13 Old 02-22-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
You could cut probably 1.25" off both ends of your bars. Move all your controls inward. Then I lose those ginormous bar end weights.

I had a Coherce bar on my old 919. I wanted a narrow bar back then. You get used to it.

I remember thinking the bars on my 990 Super Duke were so wide, it was like being nailed to a cross. But I got used to that too.

The wingspan of the Super Duke is 36". (Mirrors end to end) The wingspan on the Streetfighter is 39". I don't think I'll be doing any lane splitting anytime soon.
That's what I was thinking, cut off a bit off the edges and do something about the other stuff. Moving the mirrors forward would also help, they're just too far back.

The levers are FAR too long, I noticed how the levers are kinda the widest point. I don't have bar end weights, so I'm ok there.

I think I could lose 2" in each side.

I wonder how the 919 compares in wing span. I'll have to measure.

post #11 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 04:58 AM
Tirone

If you have to saw off parts of your bike so you can "lane split" I'd say you're headed for the ER at some point. I don't understand why someone would risk life, limb and bike just to sneak ahead of the traffic, especially if it's obvious that the space is really tight. All it takes is somebody's open door and you're toast. And by the way, not all bikes have mirrors that "spin off" if hit. All of the motorcycles I have use right hand threads on both left and right mirrors so if you hit the right side mirror, it's just going to tighten the thread and maybe strip it.
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 06:12 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing_Throttle View Post
If you have to saw off parts of your bike so you can "lane split" I'd say you're headed for the ER at some point. I don't understand why someone would risk life, limb and bike just to sneak ahead of the traffic, especially if it's obvious that the space is really tight. All it takes is somebody's open door and you're toast. And by the way, not all bikes have mirrors that "spin off" if hit. All of the motorcycles I have use right hand threads on both left and right mirrors so if you hit the right side mirror, it's just going to tighten the thread and maybe strip it.
While I agree that it sounds like he is being a bit impatient in his lane splitting practices, there's a reason why it's legal practically everywhere else in the world, and encouraged, even. The way I see it is, I would rather hit an open door doing 10-15 mph than be rear ended by a truck doing 10-15 mph and squashing me into another car/truck.

KarlJay likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing_Throttle View Post
In some 10 years of riding, I've never had someone open a door while in traffic, but I'd rather have that then someone doing a blind lane change because at the speeds I'm at and the protection I'm wearing, I'd be able to either full stop or not be badly injured by a door.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to open a door in traffic like that, but one of the safest places a motorcycle can be is either in the garage in side by side with a car. It's the behind a car and left turns from the other direction that really hurt bikers.

In the 10 years that I've ridden, I've never used the outside of the bars. I've never used the outside 1/2 of the levers. I have no use for them, I work the controls very well without ever touching the other 1/2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode