Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Looking into buying used cb 919 that has been dropped

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Trailing_Throttle 
#1 · (Edited)
What would i need to check?

I Already asked him and he said the exhaust covert and the plastic(of the motorcycle?) was scratched. The light and one of the motor cover aswell. Tank and radiator are fine.

He also had to chance the speedometer to an american one(I'm in Canada so we use KMH not MPH)as seen in this picture

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/aF0AAOSwopZc--Xa/$_59.JPG

And it looks like a 919 but not 100% sure if any problem are gonna occur with that. His is a 2007

So What should i be on the lookout for specifically? Going to see it tommorow and i am very excited i have been hunting for a 919 for a month!

#2 ·
I would do an cold start and listen very carefully for rattles, tapping, etc... coming from the engine when it's cold. Same check once it warms up. Check the exhaust temps on each pipe to see if they are all about even as it's warming up. A cold pipe is an indication of a problem.

I would fully inspect the chain as it's a clear indicator of abuse / neglect.

Some of the more expensive fixes are in the valves, timing chain, head work.

Generally the 919 is a rock solid, bullet proof bike, so I'd focus on the engine and any odd sounds. Maybe hold the rpm steady at different spots and listen for anything odd.

Depending on the price, you might want to look close at the fork seals, chain/sprocket condition, etc... if it's cheap enough, these might be know to need replacing and the price reflects that. IMO, the 919 is really a bargain compared to the Monster, ZRX, and others, as I've seen pretty nice < $4K 919s, and that's a pretty good deal IMO.

This guy bought one and it has a pretty good problem that IIRC, was pretty expensive to fix:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fGn6bjcHUo[/ame]

#4 ·
I am going to use commonsense but as a brand new rider(not even 1 year under my belt) i'm always hunting for some more information!

I'm guessing i should check where the pipe is and not where the exhaust header is as it probably gets hots instantly?

Chain and tires are the first to getting checked to see if the owner atleast did the minimal maintenance

I was gonna check today but i want to let the motor heat up to the point where the radiator fan kicks on (if it has one) and just listen. Look around for any oil/dripping spot i can see while it's running and was planning on bringing it to high rev's for a couple of seconds and try and listen for something off as well.

I've seen people also say to check the vacuum line on the FPR but i'm guessing it's not that accessible without taking the bike apart is it?

This one is at a pretty good price for it's age and mileage hence why i'm very skeptical, and if you check the Odo it only read 600km so the guy is selling it pretty quick after having dropped it, could only be a coincidence.

Oh yea i watched yammie video having to replace the engine after working on it for so much, sucks. I've actually looked at every "919 review" on youtube hahahaha.

#6 ·
If the bike has been down, check to see if the handlebars are straight. I bought mine (2007) used from a Honda dealer and I didn't notice the left bar was bent -- just a little. My son drove it after I had it for several months and said "The bars are not straight." Sure enough, they were not. Replaced with new OEM and problem solved. (Bike had been down on left side but with very minimal damage) Now, having put 12000 more miles on it, I am suspicious that the swing arm may be slightly off as well. I plan to take it to someone who can check the alignment of all the various parts.

It's a difficult thing to check if the bike is really straight, especially if the original owner won't let you test drive it for a few miles and even then you may not notice everything. Still, it's a really nice bike even if it's not perfect when you buy it. Part of the fun is trying to figure out all the little issues. If it runs properly, that's the biggest part of the battle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.