Lock and ignition switch - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Lock and ignition switch

New problem (139,000kms = no surprise). I put the key in the cylinder and it won't turn. I fool aroud for a while, curse a bit and sweat it out that I am stuck and then (so far) the key turns. Any suggestions to cure this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Le So Cal Troll

probably a worn out key.

Do you have an original unused key? if so try that, if it works, go get a copy of the original unused key and use the copy. Put the unused key back in the safe so you can make another copy when it happens again in another 139k kms.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 10:32 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
probably a worn out key.

Do you have an original unused key? if so try that, if it works, go get a copy of the original unused key and use the copy. Put the unused key back in the safe so you can make another copy when it happens again in another 139k kms.
I've killed 4 keys from use alone for my truck. They slowly but surely wear. A locksmith worth a damn can just look at the key and tell you the cuts it would take to make a new one. If they want to use a key duplicating machine, be Leary unless they are doing it manually to not remove too much material.

An alternative is pulling the code off of the ignition cylinder. It is possible to do without removing it. From that Honda can cut you a key. They had to reverse the code to get me a key that worked...but they got me one that worked!

I always duplicate keys while they are new....then store the new key.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided

post #4 of 8 Old 03-23-2014, 10:19 PM
The Cripple

yeah, sounds like a worn key. Get a new one and problem will be easily solved.

post #5 of 8 Old 03-24-2014, 06:21 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I was messing with my 2002 yesterday. I noticed oneof the keys didn't seem to work, even though the cut still matched the original key. Put key next to key and flipped them around for a good 5 minutes trying to spot the problem. Then I noticed the gap between the keys. At some point it appears my key was used as a screwdriver, resulting in a slightly twisted key. I threw it in the vice and its good as new! Actually, having broken a key I no longer trust it and will have another spare cut today.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #6 of 8 Old 03-25-2014, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

After two days, the key now works perfectly. Maybe there was some ice or something in there. We shall see.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-25-2014, 07:26 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikero View Post
After two days, the key now works perfectly. Maybe there was some ice or something in there. We shall see.
If that's the case, spray some graphite lube into the ignition cylinder.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
I've killed 4 keys from use alone for my truck. They slowly but surely wear. A locksmith worth a damn can just look at the key and tell you the cuts it would take to make a new one. If they want to use a key duplicating machine, be Leary unless they are doing it manually to not remove too much material.

An alternative is pulling the code off of the ignition cylinder. It is possible to do without removing it. From that Honda can cut you a key. They had to reverse the code to get me a key that worked...but they got me one that worked!

I always duplicate keys while they are new....then store the new key.
Yes i also recently made duplicate from the new one and locksmith have made it within an hour.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode