Lighting upgrade idea. LED side lights using headlight type LEDs. - Wrist Twisters
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By marylandmike
  • 2 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 16 Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Lighting upgrade idea. LED side lights using headlight type LEDs.

It looks like headlight (H4) LED bulbs are getting real cheap now. I wonder if having 3 headlight would be a good idea. 1 as the primary and 2 others on the side but instead of regular weak bulbs, use headlight LED.

This could really light things up.

The problem is we have to see the condition of the road right in front of us AND we need to see what's going on way ahead.

I have some old side lights, but they aren't LED. I'd like to have something that lights up the sides, middle and far center.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 04:19 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Do you have an LED headlight now? I put in a GE Nighthawk LED a few years ago and it really lights things up. I am thinking two more would be overkill.

Pics below are from a road with no streetlights.

For reference all lights off:

Low beam

High Beam

post #3 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 05:39 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Do you have an LED headlight now? I put in a GE Nighthawk LED a few years ago and it really lights things up. I am thinking two more would be overkill.

Pics below are from a road with no streetlights.

For reference all lights off:

Low beam

High Beam

Wow!
That's impressive.

Now that you've had it a few years, how do you find the relationship between the hi and low patterns are, once you've set the light up for best low beam positioning?
Is the hi too high, or too low, or just right?

Did you do any posts back then re your install?
I'm assuming some level of adaptation was needed.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Wow!
That's impressive.

Now that you've had it a few years, how do you find the relationship between the hi and low patterns are, once you've set the light up for best low beam positioning?
Is the hi too high, or too low, or just right?

Did you do any posts back then re your install?
I'm assuming some level of adaptation was needed.
There is a plate inside of the light that provides a pretty sharp cutoff for the low beam, so it doesn't blind drivers once you get it set. I haven't had to do any adjustments since I have had it. I don't really ride a tremendous amount at night though. The reason I got it was a few of us had done a trip to the tail of the dragon and it was downright scary riding on curvy roads at night with the stock headlight.

Below is a thread showing the install process. Definitely not just a drop in.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...iew-51842.html
mcromo44 likes this.

post #5 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 09:50 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
There is a plate inside of the light that provides a pretty sharp cutoff for the low beam, so it doesn't blind drivers once you get it set. I haven't had to do any adjustments since I have had it. I don't really ride a tremendous amount at night though. The reason I got it was a few of us had done a trip to the tail of the dragon and it was downright scary riding on curvy roads at night with the stock headlight.

Below is a thread showing the install process. Definitely not just a drop in.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...iew-51842.html
Thanks for pulling it up for all!

post #6 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Wow on both the performance and the price:

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-6.../dp/B00BQX2BT8

$294 vs $50~100 for others.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 07:42 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
Wow on both the performance and the price:

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Lighting-6.../dp/B00BQX2BT8

$294 vs $50~100 for others.
Agree on the current price. At the time I got mine they had a $100 off coupon so I paid $152. I think that the GE one is pretty close to the Trucklite which you can find on Amazon for about $150. Several folks have installed those. Carotman has a great thread on that somewhere.

post #8 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 10:44 AM
919 Rider

Mike I believe there is another way to mount your light unit into the stock headlight bucket.
I noticed in your install write up pics that the reverse of your light unit has three small locator keys on the back around the edge. So does the headlight rim assembly of a cb400. The rim assembly sandwiches the light unit and allows you to mount it in the stock bucket. The holes in the bucket are slightly off so a little fibreglass and re drilling is required. But it makes for a very solid mount. This rim assembly also has a screw for left and right beam direction adjustment. I used a different led light unit but it had identical locator tabs/keys on the back. I'd bet my left nut it would work for your light unit also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180407_095548-1-1_1552584783536.jpg (132.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180407_095444-1-1_1552584803086.jpg (137.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180410_082700-1-1_1552584822460.jpg (181.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20180412_122358-1-1_1552584868332.jpg (134.9 KB, 8 views)
marylandmike and mcromo44 like this.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 10:47 AM
919 Rider

Same as Carotman.

post #10 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 05:30 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Mike I believe there is another way to mount your light unit into the stock headlight bucket.
I noticed in your install write up pics that the reverse of your light unit has three small locator keys on the back around the edge. So does the headlight rim assembly of a cb400. The rim assembly sandwiches the light unit and allows you to mount it in the stock bucket. The holes in the bucket are slightly off so a little fibreglass and re drilling is required. But it makes for a very solid mount. This rim assembly also has a screw for left and right beam direction adjustment. I used a different led light unit but it had identical locator tabs/keys on the back. I'd bet my left nut it would work for your light unit also.
What vintage of CB400?

post #11 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 06:11 PM
919 Rider

I got it wrong. It's a headlight rim assembly for a CB450, Cb500 and a few others. Mid 70s?
Here is a link to the exact one I brought.
https://4into1.com/7-chrome-headligh...0-gl1000-1200/
The pic I've posted shows the reverse of my style Led headlight. I've marked the location of the lugs. I'm sure they are the same as the ones on Mike's headlight. Probably other 7" headlights like it to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190315_120150-1_1552611941439.jpg (90.1 KB, 7 views)

post #12 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Excellent information. Thank you!

post #13 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I got it wrong. It's a headlight rim assembly for a CB450, Cb500 and a few others. Mid 70s?
Here is a link to the exact one I brought.
https://4into1.com/7-chrome-headligh...0-gl1000-1200/
The pic I've posted shows the reverse of my style Led headlight. I've marked the location of the lugs. I'm sure they are the same as the ones on Mike's headlight. Probably other 7" headlights like it to.
Those rings go back to at least 1969 in origin.
The tabs on the lights themselves are automotive standard, probably covered by an SAE spec, as is the light dispersal.

So, you got the ring to nicely mate up to the 919 bucket.
Without looking, I think the 919 bucket has more effective volume than the ancient CB-K ones, otherwise I was thinking of trying one of those.
Ultimately, an early ring looks like the ticket.

post #14 of 16 Old 03-14-2019, 08:07 PM
919 Rider

I actually thought those rings and lug system was possibly automotive in origin. You often see those headlight units advertised for Jeeps. I think Mr Honda in the early days had a knack for recycling.
I also thought about using an early bucket but decided against it because they looked less than the 919 in volume. All that wiring has got to go somewhere. The actual holes for the rim and bucket to bolt together are not that far off. You could probably get away with making them wider. I felt is best to fibreglass over the old holes and redrill new mount holes.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #15 of 16 Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 AM
PB

I bought an Eagle Lights 7" light:

https://www.eaglelights.com/collecti...led-headlights

On the back there are two through holes that run from right to left, one on top and one on the bottom. I 3D printed a bracket that interfaces with those holes and the mounting slots on the existing headlight ring. All you need to do is bolt the bracket to the headlight and then secure the bracket and headlight to the ring. I've got the file for the bracket if anyone else wants to 3D print the adapters.

post #16 of 16 Old 03-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB_ESQ View Post
I bought an Eagle Lights 7" light:

https://www.eaglelights.com/collecti...led-headlights

On the back there are two through holes that run from right to left, one on top and one on the bottom. I 3D printed a bracket that interfaces with those holes and the mounting slots on the existing headlight ring. All you need to do is bolt the bracket to the headlight and then secure the bracket and headlight to the ring. I've got the file for the bracket if anyone else wants to 3D print the adapters.
That would be nice, how can i contact you for a file request?

Отправлено с моего SM-P605 через Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode