lighter wheel options for 919? - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,656
Rep Power: 1
 
lighter wheel options for 919?

Does anyone have handle on how much lighter a 900RR wheel is as compared to the stock 919 wheel? I've read the 900RR is supposed to be noticeably lighter and a simple interchangeable replacement.

Same question re a F4i front vis a vis the stock 919 wheel.
Seeing as I have a F4i forks going on, changing to a F4i front wheel should be a simple proposition, as long as the fork tube to fork tube distance in the clamps is the same.
(Counter to this is posts about using F3 wheels and not F4i? Hmmm, if so, why?)

Would appreciate any advice on the above.
My pursuit is reduced rotational mass, as long as I can do it fairly cheap.

mcromo44 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 10-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Ian
 
HeliMech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 3,313
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44
Does anyone have handle on how much lighter a 900RR wheel is as compared to the stock 919 wheel? I've read the 900RR is supposed to be noticeably lighter and a simple interchangeable replacement.

Same question re a F4i front vis a vis the stock 919 wheel.
Seeing as I have a F4i forks going on, changing to a F4i front wheel should be a simple proposition, as long as the fork tube to fork tube distance in the clamps is the same.
(Counter to this is posts about using F3 wheels and not F4i? Hmmm, if so, why?)

Would appreciate any advice on the above.
My pursuit is reduced rotational mass, as long as I can do it fairly cheap.

I am not sure of the weights. I believe most people are doing wheel swaps for the look more then the performance. I noticed a pretty big difference when i swapped mine, but i changed so much during last winter its hard to pinpoint what parts helped the most.

The reason for the F3 front is that it matches (both 6 spoke) the 900RR rear perfectly. The f4i has three spoke wheels and it looks almost identical to the stock 919 setup.

Next time i change tires i will strip them down and get you some spec weights on my 900RR/F3 combo.

HeliMech is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 10-26-2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,656
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
I am not sure of the weights. I believe most people are doing wheel swaps for the look more then the performance. I noticed a pretty big difference when i swapped mine, but i changed so much during last winter its hard to pinpoint what parts helped the most.

The reason for the F3 front is that it matches (both 6 spoke) the 900RR rear perfectly. The f4i has three spoke wheels and it looks almost identical to the stock 919 setup.

Next time i change tires i will strip them down and get you some spec weights on my 900RR/F3 combo.
Thanks HeliMech!
And I now realize that what I thought was a F4i front was indeed that of an F3.
I won't change unless there is worthwhile weight reduction.
I've already got a spare set of stock wheels, those slated for being powder coated red.

mcromo44 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 AM
Imaginifer
 
woodyeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: united kingdom
Posts: 406
Rep Power: 1
 
Ive often wondered how much weight could be safely machined off a standard wheel? i wonder if anyone has ever tried?

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
woodyeee is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Cornicen
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 516
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 
Yup. I'd do it for looks. 5-spoke/6-spoke looks the business compared to the 3-spoke stockers.

honda ng gingsa is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 AM
919 aka Hornet 900
 
Mr T81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 998
Rep Power: 1
 
I'm due for a new tire on the front, maybe in the spring.
I could weigh the front 6 spoke wheel then.
If I weighed the rear wheel with the tire on that would
probably not be too accurate?

Mr T81 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus
 
rickard919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,802
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T81
I'm due for a new tire on the front, maybe in the spring.
I could weigh the front 6 spoke wheel then.
If I weighed the rear wheel with the tire on that would
probably not be too accurate?
Come on, really? You must have some tread left on it. I'd probably run it another couple thousand kms.

Spoiler:

rickard919 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Imaginifer
 
HornetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbus
Posts: 474
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyeee View Post
Ive often wondered how much weight could be safely machined off a standard wheel? i wonder if anyone has ever tried?
How would you know when to stop machining off weight, i.e., where's the point at which it's no longer safe?

"Keep on 9-in"

HornetMan is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 11:33 AM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,768
Rep Power: 1
 
The wheels are already hollow, so I'm not sure what you'd be able to machine off, or where for that matter. Don't think you'd gain too much benefit from shaving off a few ounces. Most likely you'd have to find a rim of a completely different alloy or composite in order to shave weight.

Pvster is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 PM
919 aka Hornet 900
 
Mr T81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 998
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Come on, really? You must have some tread left on it. I'd probably run it another couple thousand kms.
Very little thread left.

Mr T81 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 10-28-2012, 03:51 PM
StormSurfer
 
Whiplash97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northwest corner
Posts: 6,039
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Whiplash97 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Imaginifer
 
bpolunin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Duluth, GA
Posts: 434
Rep Power: 1
 
If you want the to go for a lighter wheel, go with Carbon Fiber wheels. They are pricey though BST Carbon Wheels - OPPRACING Products

bpolunin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome