Let's talk about 919 coolant flush - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Let's talk about 919 coolant flush

I have a 2007 919, bought it last year with ~7400 mile (now it has ~ 9100 miles). The coolant is not dirty but since I don't know what is the history, I would like to do a coolant flush.

I tried to find some info on the coolant flush and I found various opinions on how much coolant you need, how many times you need to flush it with distilled water to fully clean but not a complete drain/flush/fill info.
Are there any secret drains?
How you're doing to flush it completely (is it even a way to do it )?
Does anyone knows a youtube video on how to do it?

Thanks,
Todi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

If you bought it with 7,400 miles theres a pretty good chance the coolant has never been changed. I think the service manual calls for 24K miles or 2 years. I would say you are fine. I have almost 60K miles and have never flushed the system, I just drain and refill every time I do valve clearance checks (16K miles). The coolant always looks almost new when I drain it.

post #3 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 03:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

It's pretty easy. There is 1 drain, and it's on the water pump (right side, down low on the bike...) Lift the tank and thats where the rad cap is. I siphoned the coolant out of the overflow tank, as I couldn't find an easy way to relocate the overflow tube to allow it to drain itself. Once drained, reinstall bolt, fill with water. start engine, run until warm. repeat process but this time use coolant. After filling, run until warm, blip throttle 3-4 times to get the remaining air out and top it off.

Capacity is less than a gallon IIRC.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided

post #4 of 4 Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Le So Cal Troll

use distilled water.

Go to the market grab distilled water. Drain the system completly. that includes the overflow tank. Leave the tank empty. Fill the system with PURE DISTILLED water. Take a 5 mile ride to open up the tstat and circulate the distilled water.

Come home let it cool down a bit

Drain (watch out it will still be hotish). Then fill the system and tank with proper coolant (silicate free)... at this point you can take the liberty of doing something like a 70% water (distilled) 30% glycol, and the proper small dose of water wetter for ultimate cooling system efficiency.

For getting the coolant out of the overflow tank, you can always siphon it out of the tube that attaches at the filler neck right by the radiator cap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode