Led Flasher Relay Question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 11-26-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
CB900

Led Flasher Relay Question

Hi. I've been installing led flashers up front, and about to do a CA rear.
I bought an LED relay to correct the flash rate after looking at the wiring diagram in the workshop manual its says a 3 wire relay, and lo and behold, the standard relay is only 2 wire? WTF?? How does that work? I've only ever known relays to have 3 wire's plus, +v, -v and the wire that has the on off condition.
When I put a multimeter on the plug going into the stock relay, I get 6 volts there abouts?? another wtf???

Im stumped

Scott

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-26-2011, 05:39 PM
The Cripple

hey scott, first piece of advice, dont use the CA board on the rear, please. it's worthless garbage. if you want a real integrated unit, go with the CUSTOM LED board, you wont regret it despite the price!

second thing is, is the led flasher plug and play? if not, return it and order the CUSTOM LED board along with a plug and play relay. easy to do lol.

you can also just order the plug/play relay as well.

post #3 of 13 Old 11-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

post #4 of 13 Old 11-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Le So Cal Troll

connect the v- to the frame and or a ground.... v+ to the constant (key on) 12v... and on and off to the line that goes out to the switch. should work like a charm.

The stock relay is a current draw based relay... the relay you got is a time based one which no matter the current it will blink at the same rate... and it simply needs aground for the timing circuit.

post #5 of 13 Old 11-26-2011, 09:46 PM
E Honda Streetfighter!!

Im with the other fellas on this mate, I just order a custom Led light and flasher realy for the states cost around $150.

Bloody good quality though and since its a safety issue and you want all the wankers on the road to see that you want to make a left or right turn I would strongly suggest Custom LED, its purpose built for 919 and the install takes less then an hour and easy as.

I did have to buy a clear alternatives set up from ebay for $50 delivered to get the clear lense as I have no external blinkers now and the orange blinkers you cant see well through the red lense.

post #6 of 13 Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb919 View Post
Im with the other fellas on this mate, I just order a custom Led light and flasher realy for the states cost around $150.

Bloody good quality though and since its a safety issue and you want all the wankers on the road to see that you want to make a left or right turn I would strongly suggest Custom LED, its purpose built for 919 and the install takes less then an hour and easy as.

I did have to buy a clear alternatives set up from ebay for $50 delivered to get the clear lense as I have no external blinkers now and the orange blinkers you cant see well through the red lense.
You can also change the blinker color to red flashers, that way you can use the stock red lens. Although the clear lens is very nice

post #7 of 13 Old 11-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogunoogun View Post
You can also change the blinker color to red flashers, that way you can use the stock red lens. Although the clear lens is very nice
Smoke looks even sexier ...

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #8 of 13 Old 11-27-2011, 12:29 PM
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post

Never try and teach a pig to sing: it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig.

--Robert A. Heinlein

GL1500CD Valkyrie
post #9 of 13 Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Looks sexy, but works ... not so well. The smoke tint attenuates the light by an average of 50 to 60%, resulting in the taillights, and worse the brake lights, that are practically invisible during the day. For a time they were popular on cars in L.A., but there were lots of rear end collisions due to the dim brake lights and most accessory shops stopped selling them.

'nuff said.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #10 of 13 Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Looks sexy, but works ... not so well. The smoke tint attenuates the light by an average of 50 to 60%, resulting in the taillights, and worse the brake lights, that are practically invisible during the day. For a time they were popular on cars in L.A., but there were lots of rear end collisions due to the dim brake lights and most accessory shops stopped selling them.

'nuff said.

Rob
agreed.

post #11 of 13 Old 11-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post

'nuff said.

Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
agreed.
I somewhat agree...

On a visibility scale of 1 to 10:

Stock bulbs with red lens = 5
Stock bulbs with smoke lens = 4.5

Clear alternatives integrated with stock lens = 3 (I'm factoring in the terrible signal integration and how hard they are to see)
Clear alternatives integrated with smoke lens = 2 - 2.5

CustomLED integrated with stock lens = 10
CustomLED integrated with smoke lens = 10. Yes, they are just that damn bright.

I'm already 100% more visible than ANY stock configuration, swapping to the smoke lens made no change that I could tell, and yes, people notice more, as I can see them braking much sooner than they used to. I can live with a loss of a few lumens as I'm already head and shoulders above stock configuration.

I would agree, though, a smoke lens on something like a clear alternatives would be dangerous. Those suckers just aren't bright enough.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #12 of 13 Old 11-28-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
CB900

Thanks for the input guys, I've just ordered the relay from custom LED, as I don't want to chop into the wiring harness in case I'm not happy with the mods. It still has me beat why I only see 5.8v to 6.2 volts on the plug going into the relay though.

I'm more using the CA for LED brake lights and after just installing it without the indicators we've all noticed here it is a lot brighter than the stock bulbs which I like. I'm sure the Custom LED one is hell of a lot better though, I just find their price and shipping a touch steep for components that don't cost that much. $20 aus just for shipping the relay is crazy, considering other things I've bought off eBay from the US, and $45 aus shipping for dan moto pipes from China at 4kg I think is quite reasonable. In these times people should not make profit off the shipping I believe. I remember someone here trying to charge me $30 + $40 in shipping for a 15t afam front sprocket surface post. Gotta be joking right????!!!!

I like the idea of smoke lenses, but have memories of when they were a fad here on bikes and cars alike using a spray can of special black/brown paint on the inside of lenses, and as Rob said, not very visible.

I plan on installing flush mount fairing LED's on the sides of the cowl, sort of at 4 o'clock and 7 o'clock if looking at the rear of the bike, plus the CA integrated ones to go with a fender eliminator I'm gonna fab as a xmas project.

Thanks again.
Scott

I come from the land Down Under, Where the women blow and the men thunder!!
post #13 of 13 Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog32 View Post
I'm more using the CA for LED brake lights and after just installing it without the indicators we've all noticed here it is a lot brighter than the stock bulbs which I like. I'm sure the Custom LED one is hell of a lot better though, I just find their price and shipping a touch steep for components that don't cost that much.
sorry scott, but i have to disagree with you. i personally used the CA brake light only board and i hated it. i thought it was worse than stock since i couldnt even see the brake light reflected on the back side of signs 25 feet behind me. they're worthless and they're dirt cheap for a reason, because they went out of business.

for me it's a matter of safety and those CA lights are not safe as they dont grab driver's attention when behind you. please reconsider. if nothing else, put the stock lights back in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode