Laydown now Oil Pressure Light Stays On - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Laydown now Oil Pressure Light Stays On

Ok, alongside my 919 is my older GS500E (I have an unnatural love for nakeds). The 500 was recently dropped in the driveway (0mph) by my daughter, and it ran for about 2-4 seconds when down before shut off and put back upright. Once it sat for about 2hrs, I started it up and the oil pressure light came on. Nobody I talk to seems to be able to figure this out. Also, no noticeable sound differences come on when attempting to run (but have only done so in 10 second intervals about twice in an attempt to reprime the pump). Ok, here is what has been done so far:

Oil pressure switch wire properly grounded and circuit continuity checked.

New oil pressure switch orderd (has not arrived).

Removed oil pressure switch and cranked the engine with the spark caps off to check pressure coming from switch/remove trapped air. (This resulted in the hole "drooling" oil instead of spitting or spraying oil. Not sure if it's normal).

Put seafoam into the crank case and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Did not run the engine as a precaution, although I realize it lowers the effectiveness of the seafoam.

Drained the oil and removed oil filter. No metal on the drain plug. No oil was in the oil filter (although it was saturated as if at one time there had been oil running through it). The filter is an open type behind a separate filter cover plate. No oil was in the cavity for the filter, so I assume the seal was fine.

I'm getting a new filter and oil pan gasket. I plan on removing the oil pan to check for metal bits as advised by another forum member. During this time I will check for sludge clogging the sump filter. I would think that the pump could not be clogged due to this, and the pump itself should reprime automatically.

Outside of these steps, can anyone think of what would be causing this or what I should check that I have looked over? It was a very gentle laydown, so I can't see how any serious damage could have been done in a few seconds of running on its side. The only damage was a few scrapes to the left side crank case and gear switch pedal. Also, the oil pump, sump filter, and pressure switch are all located on the opposite side of the laydown.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 11:50 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

it might not prime the filter due to it being wet already. try a new filter and oil as usual.then if it doesn't fix it i'd say drop the pan

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #3 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Le So Cal Troll

thats really weird.

Maybe something got knocked loose back further on the harness?

This oil pressure switch... is it just an on off type of switch... where when no or not enough oil pressure is felt the circuit is complete.... but when enough or greater amount of pressure is felt it opens the circuit? (or visa versa?)

If so i would test it real quick with a multimeter hooked directly to it with the bike off... turn the bike on and see if the switch changes state... if so then its something on the harness.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Oil pressure switch wire properly grounded and circuit continuity checked

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #5 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
Oil pressure switch wire properly grounded and circuit continuity checked
This.

I asked the guy at napa, and he said it sounds like a spun bearing. Seriously? A few seconds on the ground on a gentle laydown would cause a spun bearing. I just can't see this happening unless the oil was able to pool away from the bearing and letting the engine run for a while. Anyway, I'm just waiting on the pan gasket and pressure switch (just to be very sure). I'll put some junk oil and the new filter in and see if it allows the pump to prime and give some pressure. If not, I'll just drain it again, reuse the filter, and drop the pan and hope for the best. I sure as hell don't want to remove the clutch to get at the pump itself... even more than that, I don't want to do a rebuild.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Le So Cal Troll

ok so its just a simple yes or no switch (grounded or not grounded)

With the bike off... hook your multi meter up.... turn bike on and see if the continuity changes state.

If it does the switch is doing its job you have pressure, and its something in the harness.

It makes NO sense that the pump would go bad simply by being tipped over... i have seen dirbikes eat utter shit and sit there and run for 30 secs on the ground while the person gets up and goes over to it.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
it might not prime the filter due to it being wet already. try a new filter and oil as usual.then if it doesn't fix it i'd say drop the pan
This did the trick. After new filter and oil went in, light came off in about 4-5 seconds. Let her warm up, rode her around the block, and remembered why I bought the 919, lol!

Now I have to remove the amount of movement in the breaks. Those things are squishy (new break fluid and bled already). After that, a good clean, fork seal replacement, and she's going on the chopping block, I think.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

glad to help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode