Ktm 625 SXC oil in side casing - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 08-29-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Ktm 625 SXC oil in side casing

Hi I'm having a problem with getting oil into my side casing containing the starter clutch and flywheel I've tried ordering a new oil seal for the crank shaft into this casing but it doesn't show one on the micro fiche and with out being able to give a part number my ktm spares dealer can't do me anything. If there isn't a seal here can anyone tell me what is meant to stop the oil passing from the main casing into the side casing.
Thanks Dave.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Is this the same location as your magneto? If so, there is probably another oil seal behind the magneto on the magneto shaft - if this is leaking, that's your problem.

EDIT: I don't think you'll have to split the cases to get the seal out, see next post.

Welcome to WT!!!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 7 Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Here's a good thread that will probably help you:

[Electrical] Oil in Magneto

FYI on getting the old seal out - drill two tiny holes about 4mm apart, then fish some wire in there or use snap ring pliers (if you have any) to get them out. Even needle-nose pliers if the holes are big enough. Go slow, so the metal shavings get stuck in the oil/grease behind the seal, you don't want that staying in the engine.

Clean behind the seal real good before putting the new one back in.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 7 Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Probably going to need the proper puller tool to get the magneto off. But there will be a seal on the crankshaft in there.... you MIGHT get lucky and be able to get to it from the outside. Though i have seen seals go in cases from the inside...

also are you sure its not an oil bathed magneto? Looking at some exploded views i see a seal on one side of the crank but not the other.

post #5 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hi yes it is the magneto side I have the puller for it as I've just changed the starter clutch, problem is none of the exploded views of this show a seal and I don't think it's meant to be oil soaked,however not having had the bike long I'm not sure.
Thanks Dave.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

If the starter clutch is bolted to the magneto rotor, in other words there is no case with a seal between the two, then both are meant to run in an oil bath.

How do I know? the starter clutch has to be constantly lubricated or it will grind itself to dust in about five minutes of running.

Rob

post #7 of 7 Old 08-30-2013, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks Rob,I've just this minute got off the phone to KTM in the UK and the man couldn't have been more helpful, he also thought there should have been a seal there so to find out he went and got a new engine off the shelf and pulled it apart and as you say there is no seal it's meant to have oil in there however it never fills right up? Strange but true! Thanks to everyone for there help in this matter Dave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode