Kodak pixpro sp1??? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Kodak pixpro sp1???

Has anyone tried one of these yet? I was thinkin about grabbing one but I'm not sure how easy it is to use/upload...etc

image-2872342974.jpg

:buell:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I can see that there are too many buttons for ease of use while riding. As a 'set and forget' camera it may not be too bad. It appears to have wireless controls, so I'm assuming there's an "app" to act as a remote which may make it tolerable if you have a phone mount.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #3 of 15 Old 04-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Princeps Prior

for that kind of money, why not get a gopro white? same price

post #4 of 15 Old 04-28-2014, 07:39 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

If you ask me the gopro is a tiny sail and sucks to mount on the helmet. I do not mount gopro's to my helmet for that reason. Putting it on the chinbar is asking for trouble in my opinion, as the bulk of head injuries in a crash occur there. I'd rather not have a gopro compromising that section of my helmet. Additionally my gopros have been more problematic than my contours. Before you say it, Contour is not out of business.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 15 Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

My GoPro is fine on my helmet up to about 75mph. If the headwind is really strong, I feel the helmet start to tug in that direction.

The one thing I do like about the GoPro is the durability. Those suckers can take a beating (ask the one that took a dive at 80mph at the track after I wrecked).

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 15 Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

So how is this different from the GoPro White? I know Kodak is not known as being the best product, but it's hard to think they would put out a product that doesn't have an edge over what's already out there and very well known.

If anyone want's to go up against GoPro, they'll have to leap-frog it like tablets, it's not enough to make the same thing with a different name.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

I have to agree with beef on the mounting options for the Gopro, just seems like it would be kinda awkward, it seems like a camera that was built to be tough by itself would be better than having to put it in a case...

....I'm no expert on these things but the specs all look pretty good, I like that it's wireless, I would hope kodak has the App set up for ease of use...and it comes with a few diffrent mounting options

I'm sure there's a combo pack out there but most of the better deals I've seen on the Gopro required purchase of mounting hardware...

post #8 of 15 Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Get a contour for the lid, it's much more flushed vs a gopro. If you can find a roam2 they should be in the ballpark of $100-120. Mine flew off at the track rolled around several times and still works.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #9 of 15 Old 04-29-2014, 02:31 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
My GoPro is fine on my helmet up to about 75mph. If the headwind is really strong, I feel the helmet start to tug in that direction.

The one thing I do like about the GoPro is the durability. Those suckers can take a beating (ask the one that took a dive at 80mph at the track after I wrecked).
My first gopro died for no reason. It literally sat for 6 months then decided it wouldn't do shit for me. And of course being 3 days out of warranty gopro told me to get bent. My biggest bitch about the gopro is the freaking rattle. I want to hear the engine and me screaming WEEEEEEE, not CLACK CLACK CLACK as I sail through the whoops section. The tradeoff with the contours I run is the wind noise. Even with the silly furr wind screen I bought the audio is mostly wind. One could argue "get an external mic". Yeah, well... if I ran in clean/dry conditions all the time I would. I'm not about to open up any of my cameras for mods like that. #1 voids warranty, #2 destroys water resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Get a contour for the lid, it's much more flushed vs a gopro. If you can find a roam2 they should be in the ballpark of $100-120. Mine flew off at the track rolled around several times and still works.
New Roam2s are still in the $200 ballpark. Roams, believe it or not, run about the same. The good news is, converting a roam to a roam2 is just a firmware flash away!

I know nobody asked, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I like my gopro black because 240fps allows for some cool crap. The ability to change settings on the fly (either from the terrible push buttons, or the so-so app) is a nice feature. Unfortunately they are a PITA to manipulate on the fly.

The contours ease of use when mounted on the helmet makes it great. If I have any doubts if I am recording, a quick placement of the hand lets me know where I stand. Good luck getting that with a gopro.

contours also let you rotate the lens 90 degrees either direction of center, and has a laser guide. Saves a lot of guess work...and makes for a bad data day when you discover everything was shot "tall lense" instead of "wide lense"

post #10 of 15 Old 04-29-2014, 05:28 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post

New Roam2s are still in the $200 ballpark. Roams, believe it or not, run about the same. The good news is, converting a roam to a roam2 is just a firmware flash away!
Just looked, I actually have a Roam not a Roam2. Good heads up on the firmware update, I'll have to do that to mine. I bought it when it was on sale at Target for $100! Even bought the 2 year plan lol

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 15 Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Thanks for all the info both pro and con, I like this thing....so I'll let ya know how it turns out

post #12 of 15 Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Well....I know that I've heard Wes say "I need time to get to a computer" before videos could be uploaded....so....having a cam with a direct app/upload would be cool....

post #13 of 15 Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Lol...It's not just the upload, it's actually watching, re-watching, and editing crap out. You know, like the sound of a Harley in the distance .

Beefsalad, if you're getting a lot of noise from the GoPro, or the housing, mounts, etc. then you might need to move the mount or find a better location. I got a ton of audio noise from the front fairing of the bike, just too much wobble. Same on the side of the frame, too close to the engine and too much vibration.

My better locations are on the helmet, under the tail and on top of the rear cowl.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #14 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:

Beefsalad, if you're getting a lot of noise from the GoPro, or the housing, mounts, etc. then you might need to move the mount or find a better location.
If you wrap the camera in a baby wool sock it cuts the noise substantially.

Edit: just reread it, won't work on the go pro but the contour on the helmet. And also $160 on woot for the Roam 2

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #15 of 15 Old 04-30-2014, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Lol...It's not just the upload, it's actually watching, re-watching, and editing crap out. You know, like the sound of a Harley in the distance . .
Well when I finally get my hands on a cam I'll make sure there's plenty of BUELL sound for all to enjoy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode