Key and ignition turning issue. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Key and ignition turning issue.

Hey guys. I posted here a couple weeks ago about finally getting my 919. When I got it I put the key in it and it turned fine and started right up. Lately when I put the key it it fights to turn and usually takes a minute of me messing with it to get the key to turn to the run position. Then when I turn her off the key struggles to come out of the ignition in both the off and the lock position. I was wondering if this is a common issue or if you guys think it's the key or the ignition that is having problems.

If it's the key will getting a copy made will fix the issue? It doesn't seem bent at all and doesn't seem to have any problems. And if it's the ignition is it difficult to change one out? I suppose there has to be some degree of difficulty to it so people can't simply switch the ignition to steal a bike.

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

"Faster faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"- Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 PM
lusting over something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severed View Post
Hey guys. I posted here a couple weeks ago about finally getting my 919. When I got it I put the key in it and it turned fine and started right up. Lately when I put the key it it fights to turn and usually takes a minute of me messing with it to get the key to turn to the run position. Then when I turn her off the key struggles to come out of the ignition in both the off and the lock position. I was wondering if this is a common issue or if you guys think it's the key or the ignition that is having problems.

If it's the key will getting a copy made will fix the issue? It doesn't seem bent at all and doesn't seem to have any problems. And if it's the ignition is it difficult to change one out? I suppose there has to be some degree of difficulty to it so people can't simply switch the ignition to steal a bike.

Thanks for the help in advance guys.
Do you park outside? Since you said your key looks fine, It may be an issue with the barrel getting light surface rust from moisture. You could try spraying some WD-40 in the keyhole and see how that works out for you. If that works, graphite grease can protect it from happening again. This used to happen to my cb650 all the time.

Let me know how it goes!

J

post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_kraska View Post
Do you park outside? Since you said your key looks fine, It may be an issue with the barrel getting light surface rust from moisture. You could try spraying some WD-40 in the keyhole and see how that works out for you. If that works, graphite grease can protect it from happening again. This used to happen to my cb650 all the time.

Let me know how it goes!

J
I do keep it outside for now. I'm in the process of building a garage, but for the moment it has been outside for a while. I'll use some WD40 tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks a lot.

"Faster faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"- Hunter S. Thompson

post #4 of 9 Old 08-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Discen

Have you been unlocking your seat too many times? :P
take a look at your key, are you sure its straight? I Don't know about yours, but mine is made out of cheese. every time I go to unlock the seat, my key will deform slightly. every once in a while I need to put it in the seat lock and twist it in the opposite direction to maintain straightness lol.

When i don't do this, it is definitely more difficult to get in and out

Just as aerodynamic airplanes are simple and streamlined, a motorcycle--which manages to balance an engine and a seat between two wheels--has a mechanical integrity, with intertwining pipes, chains and springs, that is fascinating to behold - Peter Plagens
post #5 of 9 Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadacus View Post
Have you been unlocking your seat too many times? :P
take a look at your key, are you sure its straight? I Don't know about yours, but mine is made out of cheese. every time I go to unlock the seat, my key will deform slightly. every once in a while I need to put it in the seat lock and twist it in the opposite direction to maintain straightness lol.

When i don't do this, it is definitely more difficult to get in and out

That definitely sounds like a problem with your key...I'd be getting me a copy made out of some better metal. I've never had an issue with either ignition or seat lock.

Severed,
+1 on the WD-40 to free up your sticky ignition. You might could even use a squirt of white graphite chain lube in there to keep it from corroding once you free it up. Just a thought, never tried it myself.

'07 Hornet - Candy Glory Red
post #6 of 9 Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Tirone

My ignition does that occasionally too. I have found that anytime it sits in the rain it will happen more often. So far I have been able to just spray the key down with wd40 and run it in and out of the ignition a few times and it frees it up.

post #7 of 9 Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

If your seat is giving you fits, press down on it while turning the key. Its a trick a Honda master tech taught me earlier this year at The Gap when he saw me battling the seat.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #8 of 9 Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Discen

FYI....the WD40 is short term release at BEST...and at worst it attracts dust and dirt and forces you to use WD40 to make it release.... the penetrating oil (WD40) will displace the moisture, but it will act to attract dirt and make your lock clunky.

Use GRAPHITE only - it wont attract dirt that way and will keep your lock working right.

post #9 of 9 Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Aquilifer

This is most likely an issue with your key, and torque you are applying to the key in different scenarios.

Be careful when you turn your key opening your gas tank, and seat. Pushing down on seat is a good idea when first opening it, when you are opening your gas tank, make sure you are not yanking on the key to pull up the gas cap, pull the gas cap itself.

The ignition is very finicky about your honda key, if it is only slightly bent out of shape, sometimes you will only be able to insert the key on one side to turn, like my key is doing right now. If i put it in one orientation, it will not move at all, if i put it in the other orientation, it will.

I caused this problem one day when i went to get gas, my gas cap is pained black, and occasionally it sticks a bit when pulling up, i made the mistake of pulling on the key, instead of the gascap, and i bent my key way out of shape.

I was able to insert it back into the gas cap, and bend and check, and bend and check, and i finally got it back into a shape that will work consistently with one orientation.

Hopefully you have a spare, if not, get a copy made asap, but test your key out and see which orientation works better, if at all.

Good luck to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode