just performed bafflectomy. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

just performed bafflectomy.

I just finished removing the battles from my pipes. Not only was it much easier then you can imagine what the result is exactly what I desired. Coming from having ridden exclusively sport bikes the last 10 years . I didn't realize how much I missed the sound of an aftermarket exhaust. Now this is an aftermarket but it sounds pretty close and because the bike let so much wind into my helmet I don't hardly notice it unless I'm writing just on the streets. I've already seen heads turning as I'm approaching which is always a good sign to raise awareness. Maybe later as funds become more available I'll put an actual aftermarket set up on I really do like the low-slung single side from the 98 CBR. Anyhow anyone considering doing it I would highly recommend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Milites Gregarius

Not impressed.

So, you did a cheap mod that does little to improve performance (in fact, will probably degrade it) and you turned your bike into another annoying loud bike that will further reduce the general population's perception of motorcycles and riders.

And those people who are noticing you? They are not impressed either. They are annoyed and thinking that they really need to push for more loud pipe laws.

Thanks a lot.

There are lots of ways to make your bike sound better, without becoming annoying. But you gotta spend a little money. And, there's lots of ways of staying safe without being loud.

post #3 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well everyone has an opinion however the sound the bike makes now is not nearly as loud as a standard aftermarket exhaust. Thats why I posted in the first place just to let people know that its an improvement in sound from just being completely silent. As for perfornance I never made a claim that it improved the bikes and being noticed is imperative not for my ego but for saftey as splitting lanes in CA is already dangerous enough.

post #4 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Dewbie

Yeah Ralph, have you even heard a 919 post-bafflectomy? Pretty sure it's still quieter than any aftermarket.
I was lane splitting last week and I moved aside for another bike to go through past me. While I was trying to squeeze through cars that didn't know I was coming, he gave a little throttle and cars moved over for him. And that's me with a bafflectomy, him with with a nice (but not annoying), deep, aftermarket exhaust.

post #5 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphLong View Post
Not impressed.

So, you did a cheap mod that does little to improve performance (in fact, will probably degrade it) and you turned your bike into another annoying loud bike that will further reduce the general population's perception of motorcycles and riders.

And those people who are noticing you? They are not impressed either. They are annoyed and thinking that they really need to push for more loud pipe laws.

Thanks a lot.

There are lots of ways to make your bike sound better, without becoming annoying. But you gotta spend a little money. And, there's lots of ways of staying safe without being loud.
What crawled up your butt?

The bafflectomy isn't very loud at all, even at WOT. And NO, it's not bad to have a little bit of sound to your exhaust to make yourself known. Stupid to go to full open pipes?, hell yeah, but a good sounding deep exhaust is appreciated and DOES help people become aware of you, if just a little bit.

I've never had ANYONE stop next to me at a light and tell me my bikes were too loud, they always say "Dang, she sounds good!". Both I've had with aftermarket pipes.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Did you do a full baffectomy, or the standard partial? Mine is a full straight pipe but I repacked both pipes. I love mine. Still looks stock but with a deep growl. It's about equal volume to a set of aftermarket but the cost was way less. I know Ralph would disapprove but IDGAF! Enjoy your new sound!

Spoiler:

post #7 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 10:42 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Not impressed.

Thanks a lot.

Ralph... you kinda suck... that's really all the effort I have to waste on you.. quit shitting on others peoples parades just cuz you're a dick

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #8 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I suppose I only did a partial because I solely removed one pipe from within the muffler. Again the reason I posted was solely to give people a different perspective how it changes the sound without being annoying. If all you ever did was read the forums you might think that removing the baffles, or buying low handlebars might be a horrible decision. I understand that this bike came with high swept-back bars and a silent exhaust mainly to appeal perhaps too older demographic that is looking for a bike with potential and yet be as comfortable as possible. I've always like the looks of the bike I can say in all honesty that upgrading from stock handlebars was probably the best upgrade thus far. it position is my body a little more forward into the wind and gives a lot more leverage and control in steering the bike. Removing the baffles has also improved in a subtle awareness to my presence and I feel that my apprehension in doing so came from all the negative comments like Ralphs I had read before. I could care less about all the negativity I'm just trying to pass on my two cents and hopes someone else my not be so timid and trying the bafflectomy or perhaps even just changing the bars.

post #9 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 12:27 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnsteO View Post
I suppose I only did a partial because I solely removed one pipe from within the muffler. Again the reason I posted was solely to give people a different perspective how it changes the sound without being annoying. If all you ever did was read the forums you might think that removing the baffles, or buying low handlebars might be a horrible decision. I understand that this bike came with high swept-back bars and a silent exhaust mainly to appeal perhaps too older demographic that is looking for a bike with potential and yet be as comfortable as possible. I've always like the looks of the bike I can say in all honesty that upgrading from stock handlebars was probably the best upgrade thus far. it position is my body a little more forward into the wind and gives a lot more leverage and control in steering the bike. Removing the baffles has also improved in a subtle awareness to my presence and I feel that my apprehension in doing so came from all the negative comments like Ralphs I had read before. I could care less about all the negativity I'm just trying to pass on my two cents and hopes someone else my not be so timid and trying the bafflectomy or perhaps even just changing the bars.
As you look around more you'll find that many people on this site have done a baffelectomy and loved the results. and almost everyone has a different bar on. Don't be brought down by people like ralph, we're usually a chipper bunch (although we'll give you your share of shit if you earn it) and just because ralph is a kurmudgeon shouldn't keep you away.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #10 of 17 Old 02-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Will fly for food.

Garage
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ust-42098.html

Make me an offer I can't refuse and I'll ship it your way! Not a loud exhaust, barely audible above wind noise.

1965 PA-30 Twin Comanche
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900r
1999 Honda CBR1100XX
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 KLX250s
post #11 of 17 Old 03-08-2014, 11:22 AM
The Instigator

Ralph isn't impressed guys! We better all get rid of our bafflectomied pipes and have them crushed. We should take a poll to see what would impress Ralph so we can all do it to our bikes.

post #12 of 17 Old 03-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Tirone

My bafflectomy was partial like yours and I could barely detect it at highway speeds. It was a good amount louder than stock - really not saying much though!

Also agree'd on the lower wider bars. renthal ultra lows transform the 919 into the bike it should have been.

post #13 of 17 Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Its been a couple weeks and several hundred miles later and I am very pleased with the results of the baffelectomy. Thoroughly enjoying the bike!

post #14 of 17 Old 03-08-2014, 03:43 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Not impressed.

Thanks a lot.

You don't have many friends, do you?
post #15 of 17 Old 03-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnsteO View Post
Its been a couple weeks and several hundred miles later and I am very pleased with the results of the baffelectomy. Thoroughly enjoying the bike!
I got a long steel spike and punched holes in the next baffle.

Sounded good untill I went low mount. Which sounds stunning.

post #16 of 17 Old 03-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
You don't have many friends, do you?
Hey, play nice with Ralph.

IIRC, he had a bit of a falling-out on here with LDH or BigDaa over something [not too hard to do if truth be told; them full of prickles, those fullas] and has probably formed the view that we are all duChUNTerS of one stripe or another.

He's probably got his black hat strapped on pretty tightly, and might need a bit time for assimilation to get back into the group...

post #17 of 17 Old 03-12-2014, 08:52 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
Hey, play nice with Ralph.

IIRC, he had a bit of a falling-out on here with LDH or BigDaa over something [not too hard to do if truth be told; them full of prickles, those fullas] and has probably formed the view that we are all duChUNTerS of one stripe or another.

He's probably got his black hat strapped on pretty tightly, and might need a bit time for assimilation to get back into the group...
He basically told BigDaa that he should go die and that the world would be a better place without him... I don't think he'll ever be assimilated into the group... at least not as long as I have something to do with it.

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode