Just got my new battery, it has no fill ports, is this good? - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 13 Old 02-03-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Just got my new battery, it has no fill ports, is this good?

All the batteries that I've had in the past had the acid shipped separate and had fill ports. This one doesn't.

One concern is that I have no idea how long it sat with acid in it and I've been told that the separate ones have a very, very long shelf life because the acid isn't in it.

It also has a charge, but I don't know how strong. On the 10a charger, it's fairly strong, so do I do a slow charge with a 1 amp for a few hours?

I really can't see any advantage to them having the acid already in it. No telling how long it's been on a shelf. I guess I'll find out how long it lasts. Last one was about 5 years.

https://www.batterysharks.com/Sigmas...iAAEgJSVfD_BwE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-03-2018, 11:26 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
All the batteries that I've had in the past had the acid shipped separate and had fill ports. This one doesn't.

One concern is that I have no idea how long it sat with acid in it and I've been told that the separate ones have a very, very long shelf life because the acid isn't in it.

It also has a charge, but I don't know how strong. On the 10a charger, it's fairly strong, so do I do a slow charge with a 1 amp for a few hours?

I really can't see any advantage to them having the acid already in it. No telling how long it's been on a shelf. I guess I'll find out how long it lasts. Last one was about 5 years.

https://www.batterysharks.com/Sigmas...iAAEgJSVfD_BwE
I suggest doing a slow charge until it is fully charged.

As a check before commencing the slow charge, I also suggest doing a voltage check, the number will be of some insight as to the present charge status of the battery.

I used the link you provided.
I see it's a AbsorbedGlassMatt type battery, thus explaining the factory fill instead of fill at time of first use.
I don't know much about AGM batteries, but the "absorbed" and "matt" words strongly suggest to me that the manufacturing process requires that the electrolyte be added as part of that process.
Classic plate batteries have their plates "immersed" in electrolyte and the space between the plates is where 99+% of it resides.
AGMs don't have large volume voids for the electrolyte, and my guess is that the word "absorbed" actually means weeny teeny pockets of electrolyte within the glass matrix, with a higher percentage of the total electrolyte volume being in direct contact with the anodic and cathodic materials.
I'm not at all surprised that there are no fill or top up plugs, as they don't sound to make sense given the design nature of the battery.
(as an aside, the use of high purity lead, especially antimony purged high purity lead, in classic lead acid plate batteries negates the need of water top ups over time - overcharging considerations ignored that is)
KarlJay likes this.

post #3 of 13 Old 02-04-2018, 07:14 AM
Tesserarius

Hmmmm. I can't remember the last time I bought a motorcycle battery that did have fill ports.

Battery Tender. If you don't have one, you should.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-04-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Hmmmm. I can't remember the last time I bought a motorcycle battery that did have fill ports.

Battery Tender. If you don't have one, you should.
I just pulled the 5 year old one and it didn't have fill ports. I didn't pay attention because I bought it already setup. The ones from Sears/Kmart and Amazon for my 700S had the fill ports.

post #5 of 13 Old 02-04-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Just did a compare of the old vs new. The old one was some $65 and had 8.5AH, the new one starts at $16 ($28 shipped) and has 8.6AH.

So it's < 1/2 the price and just as much power. It's just an issue of how long it'll last. Last one was 5 years, so even if I get 2.5 years, it's still cheaper.

post #6 of 13 Old 02-04-2018, 02:38 PM
Tirone

Its an AGM battery, no acid needs to be filled, as it is absorbed in the matts
Faster recharge and better cycling compared to wet flooded batteries, so it should perform well
A little more sensitive to warm surroundings thou...

post #7 of 13 Old 02-07-2018, 02:18 PM
919 Rider

I've been using these AGM Motobatt batteries for a few years now. No drama, all good. I use them in my boats too as they are spill proof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180206_123217-1_1518041726015.jpg (133.3 KB, 9 views)
Nealio919 likes this.

post #8 of 13 Old 02-07-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I just checked the old battery and it has the fill ports, so this is my 1st AGM type.

post #9 of 13 Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Moto-Doc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I've been using these AGM Motobatt batteries for a few years now. No drama, all good. I use them in my boats too as they are spill proof.
Those motobatt batteries sure do the trick. I have them in every bike. Very versatile and deliver great starting power. I usually use the second set of post/terminals to wire up a battery tender or other goodies...

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1997 Suzuki DS350SE -Sold
2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE -Sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R -Sold
2003 Honda CBR954RR (Drag Bike) -Sold
2002 Honda CBR954RR -Sold
1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #10 of 13 Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
FYI, the original 919 battery was an AGM battery that requires no acid fill before using.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #11 of 13 Old 02-09-2018, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

First run with the new battery. She cranks faster, I can tell right off the bat. I guess 5 years is about tops for a battery

Hard to believe that I've already had this bike for 5 years. I only rode the 700S for 3 or 4.

post #12 of 13 Old 02-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Centurion

I do not think think OEM bat is/was AGM. Just because no screw type plugs to fill later does not mean its AGM. Stock you fill it then put in non-replaceable plugs & it becomes sealed. Still does not make it AGM.

post #13 of 13 Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Just got my new battery, it has no fill ports, is this good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
I do not think think OEM bat is/was AGM. Just because no screw type plugs to fill later does not mean its AGM. Stock you fill it then put in non-replaceable plugs & it becomes sealed. Still does not make it AGM.

You may think what you like, but the fact of the matter is that the original parts manual calls out the battery as ‘Battery (YTZ10S).’ If you get a YTZ10S from Yuasa, it is marked as ‘maintenance free’ and if you shake it, it doesn’t slosh like a sealed flooded cell battery does. It’s either an AGM or gel cell battery. Since gel cell is usually significantly more expensive and offers little advantage and several disadvantages over AGM for a bike, pretty sure it’s AGM.

Especially since Yuasa says it is AGM. http://Www.yuasabatteries.com/batteries.php

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode