Is my chain done? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Is my chain done?

Hi guys,

Took out the bike out of the underground parking where she spent the winter. Last year I've decided to swap the chain kit with a new one, but winter came early. This year, spring came early and my chain kit arrives in a month or so.

Can I still use it for a month? Thing is, the rubber seals, or o-rings (I think) are coming out of the chain... and I know, she needs a good wash

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 AM
The Cripple

wow, why are you replacing your chain so soon, so often? are you bothering to clean/lube your chain regularly? that chain looks bone dry! are you buying decent quality chains?

post #3 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 AM
TEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
are you buying decent quality chains?
It looks to be a DID 520 ERV3 chain (although I didn't see DID on the links). If so, yeah, the chain quality isn't the problem.

A 520 chain every year? Ouch. Unless the rider puts 15000 miles on the bike every year.

post #4 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I take it he was going to change his chain last year before the end of season and never got around to it. So this year spring came early, and he can't get a new chain for a month and wants to know if he can ride that one.

Is that actually a piece of the o-ring hanging out? How many miles on the chain?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #5 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 AM
The Cripple

i wonder, is the OP replacing the sprockets along with the chain??? if not, that'll cause premature chain wear.

you're right its a did erv 520 chain.

i think you're right hondajim. i most likely read his post wrong.

OP, the biggest issue you need to worry about is chain slack. if there's too much slack then no, it's not safe to ride. you look to be at the end of adjustments so pay close attention to that. the other issue is to make sure your chain isn't kinked or binding where the o-rings are missing. if there are none, you should be ok in the short term (i wouldn't go far though) and make sure to lube the hell out of it. if there is any sign of binding or resistance, it's not worth the risk.

post #6 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yep, it's a DID 520 ERV3. I'm not changing it every year, I bought the bike last year, it came with this chain. I've changed everything on the bike (oil/filters/pads etc) and left the chain at last.
I'm worried about those rubber grommets, not sure if those are the o-rings. They're coming out, you can see them in the red rectangle in the first pic

post #7 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Pvster, yes, changing full kit, switching from 15/45 to 17/44

post #8 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 AM
TEXAN

Ah. Yep, the chain is shedding X-rings, and the adjuster is nearly maxed out. Time for a new chain based on what I see.

Oh, and I LOVE the 17/44.

post #9 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by incult View Post
Pvster, yes, changing full kit, switching from 15/45 to 17/44
good choice!

how much slack in the chain do you have?

post #10 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Need money for parts.

Quote:
good choice!

how much slack in the chain do you have?
oh come on... 15/45 FTW!!!

i will admit, highway RPM are a little higher than they were at 16/43, but it's way more fun.

post #11 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Pvster, the slack is OK, maybe a little tight; the rings were my concern.
So bottom question, can I use it one more month for commuting? Or am I taking a big risk blowing the chain and more stuff along?

post #12 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 08:55 AM
The Cripple

loosen the chain up. you want it more loose than too tight. with the x-rings breaking out, you've effectively lost your seal on the roller bearings and commuting is a bad idea in my opinion. short trips and what not, sure because you're able to lube it frequently which is needed since the x-ring is gone and there's nothing to hold the lube in for any length of time.

ultimately, it's your call and i'm not an expert, hopefully LDH or someone of the like will chime in soon. until then, i say proceed with caution.

post #13 of 33 Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Sixty-9er

new chain/sprockets costs less than new case cause the chain flew into it.

"Grip it and Rip it!"
post #14 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

This is a perfect example that too much cleaning can do more bad than good. Whoever cleaned this chain used a brush harder than o-rings. I bet if you look close at other o-rings they will have brush marks.

post #15 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Also it hard to tell on my small 4" screen but that first pic has some kind of cracks on the Cush drive (looking through the hole in the sprocket). Maybe just your cam

post #16 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
Also it hard to tell on my small 4" screen but that first pic has some kind of cracks on the Cush drive (looking through the hole in the sprocket). Maybe just your cam
yeah i saw that too, dont think it's a crack. looks like it some lighting that got ghosted when the picture was taken?

post #17 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
This is a perfect example that too much cleaning can do more bad than good. Whoever cleaned this chain used a brush harder than o-rings. I bet if you look close at other o-rings they will have brush marks.
So it looks like just wipin it down with a rag to get the gunk off is actually a pretty good method? My chain doesn't look near as good as others (mainly because it looked like crap when I got it) but looks like a soft and non invasive method may work best?

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #18 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
yeah i saw that too, dont think it's a crack. looks like it some lighting that got ghosted when the picture was taken?
Looks like a seed from a dandelion or similiar to me

post #19 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
So it looks like just wipin it down with a rag to get the gunk off is actually a pretty good method? My chain doesn't look near as good as others (mainly because it looked like crap when I got it) but looks like a soft and non invasive method may work best?
you can hose it down from sand/dust etc and just wipe it and lube it. No pressure washers and no hard brushes. You can use a toothbrush if you must.
The key is to keep it lubed. If sand/dirt gets under o-rings, can't get it out and you will further push it in and damage o-rings with any hard brushes. I'm not a big fan of kero on the chain unless it's a dirt bike and chain sees some harsh conditions. You can always use your chain lube as a cleaner (before it dries out if it's a wax type)
Go for a ride to warm up the chain, spray it so all the grime gets nice and soft, wipe it, spray it again.
Lots of ppl clean it with WD-40 without any issues. read here Does WD40 hurt o-rings? A test.... - ThumperTalk

If you do use WD40 to clean, make sure to lube it very well after cleaning

post #20 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover919 View Post
In theory, O-ring chains should never need lube. The whole point of the o-rings is to retain the factory lube and keep out dirt and grime. The only reason to put lube on a o-ring chain is to prevent corrosion on the outside. Spray it on light, and wipe off as much excess as you can with a rag. This will leave a light film to keep away the rust, but not pick up every piece of grit there is off the road. Chain lubing should be done AFTER each ride. And DONT use a pressure washer to clean your chain.

Your chain is not going to catastrophically fail due to a o-ring. It can cause a little bit more wear wear due to the minute amount of slop you will now have in the plate. You're replacing everything soon anyway. You can still ride some until your parts come in.

post #21 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 10:43 AM
The Cripple

not quite true nealc. you dont have to lube after EVERY ride. more like 400-600 miles. 500 is the standard for most chains. the lube also helps the o-rings themselves from drying out and cracking. i dont lube the side plates, i lube directly on the o-rings where it is needed most. been doing this for 3 years now and have yet to to have an issue. keep in mind, i ride in the rail almost daily as well.

as for cleaning the chain, you should clean it periodically. i would avoid water at all costs. clean your chain every 2-3k miles using kerosene (my favorite), or wd-40 or a quality chain cleaner. inbetween the major clean intervals, wipe the chain down before applying a new coat of lube. this will give you a long and lasting life on your chain.

post #22 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
not quite true nealc. you dont have to lube after EVERY ride. more like 400-600 miles. 500 is the standard for most chains.
OK sure, if you ride less than 300-500 miles each time you get on your bike. Most of my rides are long ones. And I'm just in the habit of doing the chain after each ride. Proper lubing/cleaning of chain opinions are almost as controversial as what type of oil to use! I think most will agree that too much lube is a bad thing, and you do not need to use a power washer or wire brush to clean them.

post #23 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 11:26 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
OK sure, if you ride less than 300-500 miles each time you get on your bike. Most of my rides are long ones. And I'm just in the habit of doing the chain after each ride. Proper lubing/cleaning of chain opinions are almost as controversial as what type of oil to use! I think most will agree that too much lube is a bad thing, and you do not need to use a power washer or wire brush to clean them.
hahah, quite true! fair enough! as far as "too much lube" goes, it depends on what kind of lube you use. for me, i use the dupoint teflon lube and a lot of it! no issues, no fling, holds up great to near daily wet weather abuse, and doesnt attract dirt/grime like most typical lubes do.

i do agree though that a power washer/wire brush is bad! even a grunge brush sold by cycle gear and major motorcycle chains are bad.

post #24 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Tirone

Garage
Quote:
hahah, quite true! fair enough! as far as "too much lube" goes, it depends on what kind of lube you use. for me, i use the dupoint teflon lube and a lot of it! no issues, no fling, holds up great to near daily wet weather abuse, and doesnt attract dirt/grime like most typical lubes do.

i do agree though that a power washer/wire brush is bad! even a grunge brush sold by cycle gear and major motorcycle chains are bad.
OK, how bout this: Too much of something that can cause road grime to stick to it is a bad thing!

post #25 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 11:58 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
OK, how bout this: Too much of something that can cause road grime to stick to it is a bad thing!
sounds like g00gl3it

post #26 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 12:10 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
sounds like g00gl3it
leave google3it out of it. He is on a ski lift as we speak, with nd4spdbh and leatherwings. good times

post #27 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
leave google3it out of it. He is on a ski lift as we speak, with nd4spdbh and leatherwings. good times
where do you think the dirt/grime is coming from?

post #28 of 33 Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

HAHA, ^^^^ now that was a good read...

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #29 of 33 Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

@zaq123, NealC, it's a seed, dandelion Bike spent the whole winter in an underground parking at my workplace, lots of dust

I think I may have used the wrong word, commuting. What I meant, ride it to work and back, which is like 8 miles of city driving.
Anyway, understood the advice, new chain is coming in pretty soon. And in my almost 2 months of ownership of the bike, I've always cleaned it with a chain cleaner + rags, then lubed. And a toothbrush for the sprocket.

Thanks for the advice guys

post #30 of 33 Old 03-22-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

OK, so the only chain kit I can source fast, locally, has these Talon sprockets. Anyone heard of them? Used them?
Rear Sprocket
And what sorcery is this?
"All Talon Sprockets made feature the Talon patented self cleaning groove which acts to remove mud from teeth and increase your sprocket life."

post #31 of 33 Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
OK, so the only chain kit I can source fast, locally, has these Talon sprockets. Anyone heard of them? Used them?
Rear Sprocket
"All Talon Sprockets made feature the Talon patented self cleaning groove which acts to remove mud from teeth and increase your sprocket life."
post a pick of your sprockets without chain on them. How many miles on them? if they are ok, I would leave them alone. That rear is aluminum, right? If so, run it until it's done and get new one (steel) later. Or another aluminum if you don't mind to change them often

post #32 of 33 Old 03-22-2012, 12:59 PM
doesn't speak for me

Quote:
Rear Sprocket
Never used a Talon before, but I would not buy an aluminum sprocket. It's going to wear out a whole lot faster than the steel and you ride a 919. If you were worried about weight you would have bought a different bike.....

just my .02.

The places my 919 has taken me:
post #33 of 33 Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

zaq123, I bought the bike with 15/45. Want to switch it to 17/44 for a change. If the sprockets are good, I'll keep them as spare. Don't know the mileage on them though.

Orange, if I'll find steelies in 17/44 I'll consider them. Honestly, I think I won't even feel the diff between 520 and 530.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode