Interim Ignition solution - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KarlJay

post #1 of 22 Old 05-29-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Interim Ignition solution

Hello All,

As some may know I recouped my bike after it got stolen but it had the ignition drilled out of it.
The full key set is on back order with a Possbile delivery date of 27th of July ie half of the summer already gone.

And I was thinking of perhaps coming up with an interim ignition solution so I can go out and ride.

Anybody have any suggestions/experience with ignition work?
Perhaps get a couple of individual on off switches that I need to turn on in order ?
Looking at some pics it seems there are four cables and pins?

Input would be much appreciated.

PS - Anybody have any thoughts on 25USD key set off ebay? There's no way that these are as durable/safe as the original from honda right ? It'd be crazy if honda got them from there as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-29-2017, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
perhaps build a male-female type plug that would "close the circuit" mimicking the ignition being turned on which would then allow me to start to motorcycle ?

post #3 of 22 Old 05-29-2017, 05:03 PM
Pilus Posterior

I would be most concerned over the lock coming out and locking on you. IDK what's left of your system, but if the lock is there, I'd look for some way to make sure that doesn't kick in.

The problem with using switches, is that you'd be cutting the wires or tapping into the wires. If you don't do it right, it can cause damage.

Otherwise, I'd say go for it. If they just jacked up the key part, maybe you can use a screw driver to operate it, I did that with a car before.

My concern with an aftermarket would be quality. I wouldn't want it to cut out at the wrong time or not pass the proper amps.

What about a used OEM one parting out from eBay? It would be a different key, but maybe you can get a set for the seat if that matters. There should be some for sale somewhere. Motorcycle junk yards? Are they the same as... RC51, Fireblade... How different can these things be?

post #4 of 22 Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Nothing is left, just a big drilled out hole, where the place you used to put the key in.

What I was thinking, was removing the current drilled out bits and pieces in preparation for the next key set but in the mean time use a closed circuit plug that would plugin directly to the plug that a usual keyset would go. And I could use that as a "key" instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I would be most concerned over the lock coming out and locking on you. IDK what's left of your system, but if the lock is there, I'd look for some way to make sure that doesn't kick in.

The problem with using switches, is that you'd be cutting the wires or tapping into the wires. If you don't do it right, it can cause damage.

Otherwise, I'd say go for it. If they just jacked up the key part, maybe you can use a screw driver to operate it, I did that with a car before.

My concern with an aftermarket would be quality. I wouldn't want it to cut out at the wrong time or not pass the proper amps.

What about a used OEM one parting out from eBay? It would be a different key, but maybe you can get a set for the seat if that matters. There should be some for sale somewhere. Motorcycle junk yards? Are they the same as... RC51, Fireblade... How different can these things be?

post #5 of 22 Old 05-29-2017, 07:47 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
Nothing is left, just a big drilled out hole, where the place you used to put the key in.

What I was thinking, was removing the current drilled out bits and pieces in preparation for the next key set but in the mean time use a closed circuit plug that would plugin directly to the plug that a usual keyset would go. And I could use that as a "key" instead.
That's exactly what I would do. I would drill out or pullout the old key system and use a plug as the key. The reason is that it should hold the lock and hold it's position as you ride.

When you drill, be careful to not drill out parts that you need when the replacement comes in.

post #6 of 22 Old 05-29-2017, 10:20 PM
919 Rider

I would be very tempted to put a cheap chinese ignition in. Until your OEM turns up. Should work OK just feel a little cheap and crappy.

post #7 of 22 Old 05-29-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
I thought of that but if it comes from China it might take 1month to come on a boat xD which would be the same thing.

EDIT: Yes it seems the shipping times are 12-36 business days.

Anybody have a spare ignition switch laying around so I can use the plug ? :P you never know if you don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I would be very tempted to put a cheap chinese ignition in. Until your OEM turns up. Should work OK just feel a little cheap and crappy.

post #8 of 22 Old 05-29-2017, 11:07 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
I thought of that but if it comes from China it might take 1month to come on a boat xD which would be the same thing.

EDIT: Yes it seems the shipping times are 12-36 business days.

Anybody have a spare ignition switch laying around so I can use the plug ? :P you never know if you don't ask.
What exactly do you have left of the ignition? Did they use one of those slam hammers with a screw on the end? If that's the case, why can't you ride the bike the same way they did?

You don't need a key, they 'fixed' that for you...

I'm 100% serious, you don't need a key, get a lock (disk/wheel/whatever) and just ride like they did. Next month... install the new one...

Where am I wrong?

post #9 of 22 Old 05-29-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
What exactly do you have left of the ignition? Did they use one of those slam hammers with a screw on the end? If that's the case, why can't you ride the bike the same way they did?

You don't need a key, they 'fixed' that for you...

I'm 100% serious, you don't need a key, get a lock (disk/wheel/whatever) and just ride like they did. Next month... install the new one...

Where am I wrong?
They drilled into with a massive drill bit.... :/

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

post #10 of 22 Old 08-08-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
quick update... Honda kept me on backorder for 2months this summer and I got a call from the dealer saying the part has been discontinued....So i've waited 2 months for them to give me a refund...

Needless to say I just ordered a set off ebay for a third of the cost.

post #11 of 22 Old 08-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
quick update... Honda kept me on backorder for 2months this summer and I got a call from the dealer saying the part has been discontinued....So i've waited 2 months for them to give me a refund...

Needless to say I just ordered a set off ebay for a third of the cost.
I ordered a part from a Honda dealer, followed up with a call and they said they'd call me when it came in. I stopped by about a month later and they said they called. I pointed to my phone and showed them that no calls came in from them.

You'd think for the amount money they charge, they'd at least do a good job.

post #12 of 22 Old 08-08-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Yeah, should've just gone to ebay directly and see if I could find something good, instead of trying to find a 15+year old part from a big company...

At least I saved some money, though I could've been on the road a lot sooner...
Quote:
I ordered a part from a Honda dealer, followed up with a call and they said they'd call me when it came in. I stopped by about a month later and they said they called. I pointed to my phone and showed them that no calls came in from them.

You'd think for the amount money they charge, they'd at least do a good job.

post #13 of 22 Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
FINALLY, bit of hope of getting the bike back on the road.

Received the key ignition set. But the gas cap is a bit dirty and has some pitting, especially on those two latches. The ignition itself seem to have a bit of dirt see pics.

Any suggestions on what I could use to safely clean up the bottom of the gas cap and ignition ?
I'm thinking a bit of lighter fluid to clean up any oils, but for the pitting on the latch? a bit of a scrub with aluminium brush to get the unlock mechanism to turn a bit smoother?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gc2.jpeg (215.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg gc1.jpeg (185.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg ignition2.jpeg (130.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg ignition1.jpeg (148.4 KB, 5 views)

post #14 of 22 Old 08-16-2017, 12:47 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
FINALLY, bit of hope of getting the bike back on the road.

Received the key ignition set. But the gas cap is a bit dirty and has some pitting, especially on those two latches. The ignition itself seem to have a bit of dirt see pics.

Any suggestions on what I could use to safely clean up the bottom of the gas cap and ignition ?
I'm thinking a bit of lighter fluid to clean up any oils, but for the pitting on the latch? a bit of a scrub with aluminium brush to get the unlock mechanism to turn a bit smoother?
I would be careful around that gasket on the tank lid. I'd probably just take a rag, spray the rag and wipe things down real good. The internals, I'd probably hit it with some PB Blaster or something that leaves a coating behind. I wouldn't spray too much as it could leak down into the gas.

Another option is to spray a cleaner, blow it out with air, let it dry out in the sun, then apply some kind of lube. You can use the key and straw to work the lube down in there. Then wipe off the extra.

post #15 of 22 Old 08-16-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Thanks for getting back.

Would lighter fluid affect the rubber gasket ?

And it seems that the gas cap is stuck in the open position now. Can't turn it back to closed? Without the "push down to close" function?
Would it be bad to use a bit of WD40 loosing things up ?

Quote:
I would be careful around that gasket on the tank lid. I'd probably just take a rag, spray the rag and wipe things down real good. The internals, I'd probably hit it with some PB Blaster or something that leaves a coating behind. I wouldn't spray too much as it could leak down into the gas.

Another option is to spray a cleaner, blow it out with air, let it dry out in the sun, then apply some kind of lube. You can use the key and straw to work the lube down in there. Then wipe off the extra.

post #16 of 22 Old 08-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Thanks for getting back.

Would lighter fluid affect the rubber gasket ?

And it seems that the gas cap is stuck in the open position now. Can't turn it back to closed? Without the "push down to close" function?
Would it be bad to use a bit of WD40 loosing things up ?
Given that the gasket works with gas, I would guess it can stand up to lighter fluid, but I wouldn't bother risking it. Consider the gain? Something like a dab of gas on a rag and a good wipe down should cover things.

IIRC, the tank lid either requires the key or can be helped with the key. I'd give it a good shot of WD40, turn the key a number of times and don't force it. Remember, these are 10+ year old parts that might have sit outside most of it's life.

If the key part got wet, you probably want the PB Blaster, it's more aggressive than WD40.

post #17 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Wohoo finally dropped off all the parts.hopefully when I get back from vacation the bike is going to be ready to ride.

post #18 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 02:52 PM
RIDE RED

You should be able to remove the tumblers from your old gas cap so any key would work or swap locks if the "new" cap is too messed up for your liking. For the switch some contact cleaner then dry lube.

post #19 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not that worried as long as it's functional.

Once I get the bike back on the road, I'm going to start working on a full on refresh for the bike, with all the mods and cleaning and refresh of everything :P
I'll be making a massive and detailed build thread on this so stay tuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPYDER View Post
You should be able to remove the tumblers from your old gas cap so any key would work or swap locks if the "new" cap is too messed up for your liking. For the switch some contact cleaner then dry lube.

post #20 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 04:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not that worried as long as it's functional.

Once I get the bike back on the road, I'm going to start working on a full on refresh for the bike, with all the mods and cleaning and refresh of everything :P
I'll be making a massive and detailed build thread on this so stay tuned.
Wait... you had a 919, it was stolen, you replaced it with another bike, found the stolen bike... and you're keeping BOTH?

I smell fraud... here's the rest of the story... you wanted TWO bikes... the wife said no... you arranged for your bike to be stolen so that you can buy the 2nd bike... then you end up with TWO bikes.

Awesome trick, just make sure the wife never reads this thread

post #21 of 22 Old 08-17-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
No, I sold the 599 :P Only bike i have now is the 919.

And I don't have a wife :P
Quote:
Wait... you had a 919, it was stolen, you replaced it with another bike, found the stolen bike... and you're keeping BOTH?

I smell fraud... here's the rest of the story... you wanted TWO bikes... the wife said no... you arranged for your bike to be stolen so that you can buy the 2nd bike... then you end up with TWO bikes.

Awesome trick, just make sure the wife never reads this thread

post #22 of 22 Old 08-18-2017, 12:32 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
No, I sold the 599 :P Only bike i have now is the 919.

And I don't have a wife :P
I'm wrong twice in one post...
Attached Images
File Type: png homer-simpson-doh.png (49.3 KB, 11 views)
badmoon692008 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode