Installing Rizoma blinkers on 919 (not the electrical part) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Question Installing Rizoma blinkers on 919 (not the electrical part)

Hello,

I was hoping not to have to ask this question, but I've hit a wall and am hoping some person out there who is smarter than me can tell me the trick or tip to getting these dog gone Rizoma Zero 11 signals installed on the front of my 919.

I have the electrical/wiring part down. Have already temporarily connected them and all is working fine there.

Problem is in getting the turn signals securely tightened into the mount where the stock signals used to be. If you've done this, you know what I'm talking about.

The mount is a hollow housing deal. Stock are easy to get on and off because the threaded stud goes through one hole and the wires run through another smaller hole. So, you can easily get a nut driver in there to tighten up the nut. However, on the Rizomas, the wires run through the middle of the threaded stud, which prevents the use of a nut driver or socket.

My fingers barely fit in the housing, but was able to use fingertips to hold nut and spin signal from the outside and got the nut screwed on, but no way to get it snugged up. It is not secure.

HELP! PLEASE! I think all my jacking around with one of them may have ruined the wires. They are all twisted up now where they enter the signal.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Ride on!

SOLVED the issue.

SOLVED! Walked away from it, ate dinner, then took another look.

There is a liittle slit in the bottom of the housing that was just big enough to
allow a small flat blade screwdriver go in, and I held that against the nut while
spinning the turn signal. Got it nice and tight. Took a little while to get it oriented
toward the front, but got it done. I hope this helps for anyone else doing this install!

Thanks.

post #3 of 14 Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 PM
TEXAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywheeler View Post
SOLVED! Walked away from it, ate dinner, then took another look.

There is a liittle slit in the bottom of the housing that was just big enough to
allow a small flat blade screwdriver go in, and I held that against the nut while
spinning the turn signal. Got it nice and tight. Took a little while to get it oriented
toward the front, but got it done. I hope this helps for anyone else doing this install!

Thanks.

Another way is to take an extended 10mm socket (1/4 inch drive), thread the cable through the drive hole, then push the socket onto the nut. Use a pair of pliers to rotate the socket as desired to tighten up the nut, then slip the socket off of the wire. OR, break out the GearRatchet socket set!

post #4 of 14 Old 10-31-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF1VE View Post
Another way is to take an extended 10mm socket (1/4 inch drive), thread the cable through the drive hole, then push the socket onto the nut. Use a pair of pliers to rotate the socket as desired to tighten up the nut, then slip the socket off of the wire. OR, break out the GearRatchet socket set!
Thanks! That is a great idea, and I actually tried that. I used a 1/4" drive deep socket (mine was 12mm), and I just couldn't get it situated right on the nut to get any purchase on it. Wires kept getting in the way of the pliars. Once I got them installed, they both work, so guess I didn't screw up the wiring! Didn't even have to break out the GearRatchet set!

They look great, but no more running lights in the front, which is a drawback, I think. Won't be as visible to oncoming drivers at night. I'm going to try to find some LED running or marker lights to put somewhere up front. Maybe mount them (facing forward of course) to where the reflectors are mounted down by the forks. If anybody knows of any good ones for this, please advise. (I already tried using the Magic Blinker, but the Rizomas are not rated for constant duty, per Rizoma.) I know there is a thread somewhere about a Pulse Width Modulator, or something like that, but probably beyond what I want to do.

post #5 of 14 Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I just rotated the indicators counter clockwise a bit, used a pair of needles nose pliers to hold the nut, then rotated them back. This tightened them just enough. Had them on for over a year, no issues.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 14 Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 PM
The Cripple

Here you go: How to make your Led turn signal into running lights.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...html#post98567

post #7 of 14 Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I just rotated the indicators counter clockwise a bit, used a pair of needles nose pliers to hold the nut, then rotated them back. This tightened them just enough. Had them on for over a year, no issues.
Thanks for the tip. That's another good way to do it.

I really like the way you had the Rizomas installed on the rear of your 919.
I was going to try to duplicate that, but I can't figure out how you did it. I studied your photos and studied the bike. The left one is no problem, but on the right one, there is a large grey electrical connector sitting on the inside of that little black plastic tray under the tail, which (as far as I can tell) would be in the way of the threaded stud part of the turn signal.
Did you move/relocate that connector somehow?

post #8 of 14 Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Here you go: How to make your Led turn signal into running lights.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...html#post98567

Thanks for the link! I did read throught most of that post. The OP said to make sure the LEDs you are using are rated for constant duty operation, and I checked with Rizoma and they said they are not rated for constant duty use. They said they would get too hot. Those darn things are too expensive to have them melt!

I guess I could always try it, though, and just check to see how hot they get. I know manufacturers are usually very conservative in their product ratings.

post #9 of 14 Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywheeler View Post
Thanks for the tip. That's another good way to do it.

I really like the way you had the Rizomas installed on the rear of your 919.
I was going to try to duplicate that, but I can't figure out how you did it. I studied your photos and studied the bike. The left one is no problem, but on the right one, there is a large grey electrical connector sitting on the inside of that little black plastic tray under the tail, which (as far as I can tell) would be in the way of the threaded stud part of the turn signal.
Did you move/relocate that connector somehow?
I should have taken pics of this. That is the ECU you're talking about. It doesn't take kindly to drill bits, so DON'T PUT A HOLE IN IT.

If you take out the two bolts under the tray just above the hugger, and the two on the sides in the rear, the bottom tray actually drops quite a bit from the subframe, allowing you easy access to the ECU and other bits around that area.

Pull the ECU out of the tray. Look in the pocket of where it was sitting, in the rear of where it was at, on the left hand side. You see that vertical plastic 'stop' or post? I cut that back a bit, enough for the ECU to slide forward just a little bit more.

This allowed room to drill holes in the very rearward corner of the tray, in the bottom outside corners. And allowed the ECU to 'float' forward a bit more so that it could raise up above the indicator bolt without pushing too much on the frame or too much on the tray.

If you look at the pics, my left indicator was angled slightly down. This was more because I drilled the hole too close to the bottom and didn't allow for clearance of the nut on the inside of the indicator bolt, so it was forcing it down after I tightened it.

So if you go this route, just make sure you drill about 1/8th or 1/4 inch up from the bottom of the tray (whatever the thickness of that nut is, it's not very much). Don't go too high, however, or the ECU won't have room and WILL make it difficult to get that tray back on correctly.

And for what it's worth, I had no issues with the indicator on the right, it was only the one on the left that was a bugger. At this time, however, I also had a PC3 installed, so the cabling connected to the ECU was perhaps routed a bit differently and allowed some more room.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #10 of 14 Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I should have taken pics of this. That is the ECU you're talking about. It doesn't take kindly to drill bits, so DON'T PUT A HOLE IN IT.

If you take out the two bolts under the tray just above the hugger, and the two on the sides in the rear, the bottom tray actually drops quite a bit from the subframe, allowing you easy access to the ECU and other bits around that area.

Pull the ECU out of the tray. Look in the pocket of where it was sitting, in the rear of where it was at, on the left hand side. You see that vertical plastic 'stop' or post? I cut that back a bit, enough for the ECU to slide forward just a little bit more.

This allowed room to drill holes in the very rearward corner of the tray, in the bottom outside corners. And allowed the ECU to 'float' forward a bit more so that it could raise up above the indicator bolt without pushing too much on the frame or too much on the tray.

If you look at the pics, my left indicator was angled slightly down. This was more because I drilled the hole too close to the bottom and didn't allow for clearance of the nut on the inside of the indicator bolt, so it was forcing it down after I tightened it.

So if you go this route, just make sure you drill about 1/8th or 1/4 inch up from the bottom of the tray (whatever the thickness of that nut is, it's not very much). Don't go too high, however, or the ECU won't have room and WILL make it difficult to get that tray back on correctly.

And for what it's worth, I had no issues with the indicator on the right, it was only the one on the left that was a bugger. At this time, however, I also had a PC3 installed, so the cabling connected to the ECU was perhaps routed a bit differently and allowed some more room.
Thank you! Thanks for the great explanation. This is exactly what I needed. I thought you must have moved that ECU. I didn't know that was the ECU, but I did see that it had many, many wires in it, so I didn't want to get near it with a drill bit.

On my bike, it looks like there is plenty of room for the left blinker, but I don't have a PC3 installed.... yet. I do plan to get one eventually. It looks like it will start to get pretty crowded on the back end of the bike as far as wires go.

Thanks again for your very good explanation. I'll drop that tray down and check it out when I get home from work today.

post #11 of 14 Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

^^ Anytime. Usually I'm a pretty quiet guy, as most here would agree, but thought I'd help this one time.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #12 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Exclamation A little help please

I'm having trouble sending a private message. I'd like to respond to a brake line holder request, I do have some but all the 919 engraved pieces are sold the rest are all black and are $32 shipped US.

GOOGLEIT can you help me with my avatar I'd like to use my last one, its still there in my control panel but doesn't show up on my home page. I'm using the old forum app on my IPad.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #13 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
I'm having trouble sending a private message. I'd like to respond to a brake line holder request, I do have some but all the 919 engraved pieces are sold the rest are all black and are $32 shipped US.

GOOGLEIT can you help me with my avatar I'd like to use my last one, its still there in my control panel but doesn't show up on my home page. I'm using the old forum app on my IPad.
Trying, but not seeing your picture. You may have to download a copy and send it to me via email (I'll pm you) or attempt to do this on a PC.

2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #14 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Ride on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post

Hello,

I think you are trying to reach me. I inquired about some brake line holders.
I tried to you send PM, but could not for some reason. Not sure why. The option is not available. I'd like one of the holders for $32 shipped. Do you by chance have any more of the magnetic grab handle hole covers? If so, any in black? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode