I'm a tire idiot...please help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'm a tire idiot...please help

Up until last year when I bought my '02 Honda 900..I have always owned cruisers. I have never bought a tire before for this sort of bike.

Well...I apparently need to now get new tires for mine have had it. Threads are showing....the bike shouldnt be rode at all.

The times I have bought tires..it has always been from a store..never online. I have since learned buying online is the place to go.

I am looking for touring type tires...I am the casual rider..nothing crazy.

Can someone give me a few suggestions of what to buy and some good websites to buy from? I dont want cheapo tires....name brand all the way (cant go cheap on tires in my humble opinion)

I would appreciate any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 AM
The Cripple

Touring tires you say? Pilot road 2's or 3's get my vote!

post #3 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Silent but Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
+1

post #4 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Tirone

I have really enjoyed my pirelli angels. So far they have plenty of grip and are long lasting.

post #5 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburton6 View Post
I have really enjoyed my pirelli angels. So far they have plenty of grip and are long lasting.
Please define "long lasting" as that could mean anything to different people lol. Such as, how many miles?

post #6 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Please define "long lasting" as that could mean anything to different people lol. Such as, how many miles?
My last rear tire was a dunlop q2 and it had chords showing at 4000 miles. I have had the pirellis on for 5000 now and still have plenty of tread left, and the rear is only minmimally squared off from highway riding. pirelli claims that the angels will last 7500 miles. from the amount of wear so far I believe that they will meet and probably exceed that mileage.

post #7 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
My last rear tire was a dunlop q2 and it had chords showing at 4000 miles. I have had the pirellis on for 5000 now and still have plenty of tread left, and the rear is only minmimally squared off from highway riding. pirelli claims that the angels will last 7500 miles. from the amount of wear so far I believe that they will meet and probably exceed that mileage.
I used to have the predecessor to this tire, Pirelli Diablo Strada, nice tire and the mileage was usually 7-8K for a rear tire and 10K for a front. I decided to switch to PR2 and performance feels about the same, with a little better mileage (9-10K for a rear tire).

post #8 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Thanks, that helps a lot. 7500 miles is decent. However, my expectations are unrealistic I expect a minimum of 10k miles out of a rear and my road 2 more than delivered, giving me nearly 14k miles with about 1k miles of tread left when I picked up a nail. Granted, it was pretty fairly squared off though. The front gave me around 16 k miles and I hit the lower end of the wear bars.

post #9 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 AM
doesn't speak for me

Quote:
+1, just spooned on a set of Pilot Road 2s replacing my Michelin Pilot Powers

paid $260 for the set at www.sportbiketrackgear.com

The places my 919 has taken me:
post #10 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I would say miles wise.....6-7k would be great for how long they last.

One website was listed...any others out there with good (great) price and customer service?

post #11 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I did a bit of reading about the Pilot 2's and I think that is what I am going to go for. Seems to fit my riding.

But again..any suggestions as to where? Sportbiketrackgear seemed to have fairly good prices....other options that may beat them out?

post #12 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 03:26 PM
doesn't speak for me

I have a folder in my favorites dedicated to Moto tires, I suggest doing the same that way you can quickly compare a bunch of different sites before ordering. The one with the lowest price this week may be a lot higher the next. These should get you started:

Bike Bandit
Competition Accessories
Sportbike Track Gear
KneeDraggers
SOUTHWEST MOTO TIRES
Jake Wilson
Derby Cycles
Motorcycle Superstore
Sport Tour Ltd.
American Motorcycle Tire

Have fun comparing, some do package deals for front and rear, others only sell singles. Make sure you are looking at the price for the correct size tire, if your bike has stock rims 180/55 R17 and 120/70 R17. Pricing is different for different sizes. Also make sure that the site your looking at has free shipping, most do.

Welcome to the addiction of MC tire shopping, do you have a friendly local shop that can spoon them on for you? Going rate seems to be $20 - $30 per tire mounted and balanced if you take the wheels off yourself and bring them in.

P.S. if you're removing them yourself, this is a perfect time to check your wheel bearings, there are plenty of threads about them here but the rear wheel bearings seem to go first, then the cush drive bearing. The fronts don't take a lot of abuse, mine still feel like new after 23,000 miles. My rear wheel bearings were shot at about 23,000 miles.

post #13 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 03:37 PM
no max no more

ill be getting close to 14000,,,,16000 on 023

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #14 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I have a folder in my favorites dedicated to Moto tires, I suggest doing the same that way you can quickly compare a bunch of different sites before ordering. The one with the lowest price this week may be a lot higher the next. These should get you started:

Bike Bandit
Competition Accessories
Sportbike Track Gear
KneeDraggers
SOUTHWEST MOTO TIRES
Jake Wilson
Derby Cycles
Motorcycle Superstore
Sport Tour Ltd.
American Motorcycle Tire

Have fun comparing, some do package deals for front and rear, others only sell singles. Make sure you are looking at the price for the correct size tire, if your bike has stock rims 180/55 R17 and 120/70 R17. Pricing is different for different sizes. Also make sure that the site your looking at has free shipping, most do.

Welcome to the addiction of MC tire shopping, do you have a friendly local shop that can spoon them on for you? Going rate seems to be $20 - $30 per tire mounted and balanced if you take the wheels off yourself and bring them in.

P.S. if you're removing them yourself, this is a perfect time to check your wheel bearings, there are plenty of threads about them here but the rear wheel bearings seem to go first, then the cush drive bearing. The fronts don't take a lot of abuse, mine still feel like new after 23,000 miles. My rear wheel bearings were shot at about 23,000 miles.
Much thanx for all that info. As far as I know the bike is all stock...so I would say 17's. To be sure...would the size of the tire, be on the tire? Just so I dont order the wrong thing? I bought the bike used last year and it only had 12k on it. I am quite certain they are stock..rims that is...but I dont want to order the wrong thing. I am not at home...so I cant look currently. I have been seperated from my bike for a few days..that is why I want to get the tires ordered. But if I have someone look for me..I want to make sure that it tells the size on the current tires.

post #15 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Throw in my endorsement for the Avon Storm 2 Ultras - they are sport touring tires, nice and sticky, and they last a long time - if you don't run over nails and such with them. :P

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #16 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Centurion

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninusa View Post
Much thanx for all that info. As far as I know the bike is all stock...so I would say 17's. To be sure...would the size of the tire, be on the tire? Just so I dont order the wrong thing? I bought the bike used last year and it only had 12k on it. I am quite certain they are stock..rims that is...but I dont want to order the wrong thing. I am not at home...so I cant look currently. I have been seperated from my bike for a few days..that is why I want to get the tires ordered. But if I have someone look for me..I want to make sure that it tells the size on the current tires.

As for stock wheels... if they are the 3 spoke rims that look like this, they are stock.
2006 Honda 919 (Hornet CB900F)

By my experience, never go by what tire is on the wheels!! Always do your research! Check link above.

Arte et Marte
post #17 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Warped man...

I got about the same mileage (about 5k) out of both the Pilot Road 2 and the Pilot Power 2. The Power 2 is my favorite tire I've run on the 919, absolute confidence inspiring. Running Dunlop Sportmax Q2s now. For the price, I'm very pleased. Grippy.

Pilot Power 2 gets my vote!

Does this napkin smell like chloroform? Just kidding baby lemme buy you a drink.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Le So Cal Troll

pilot road 2's/3's front and rear if your a spirited rider, who enjoys cayons but also does a decent amount of commuting / straight line - not so curvy touring

Pilot power 2ct front - Pilot road 2 rear - For the person like me who commutes around town, wants the best overall life and grip, and wants to be able to go from knee down to wheelie out of a turn in the canyons.... This has been my favorite setup so far.

Pilot power 2ct's front and rear - for the ultimate sticky ness... where mileage doesnt matter. (honestly havnt really noticed a difference upon "down grading" to the road 2 in the rear from the power 2ct's)

post #19 of 26 Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Steve

These guys are worth checking out too, I've had good luck with them in the past.

Two Brothers | Motorcycle Tires Atlanta - Home | Lawrenceville | Gwinnett

post #20 of 26 Old 08-17-2012, 12:34 PM
doesn't speak for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
ill be getting close to 14000,,,,16000 on 023
Are you sure the tire gnomes didn't change those out halfway through when you weren't looking?

14k - 16k on a BT023 sounds crazy, do you think that is a testament to the tire or to your riding style?

post #21 of 26 Old 08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Need money for parts.

I ran Metzeler Sportec M3's before my current Pilot Road 3's. I got at best 3000 miles before the M3's were gone. I mean GONE. like, a rock on my dirt road finished them. LOL.

My PR3's have about 5k on them so far and are probably 50% tread remaining. As much as I love the back road twisties around here, most of my miles are fairly straight. The PR3's are staying nice and round (no flat in the center). I have dragged the pegs with these on and they are solid.
Oh, and if you ride in the rain, these tires are effing sweet. Never had the back slip in rain unless it's one of those paint spots at a light or something.
I run 15/45 sprockets too, so that should give you a hint of my acceleration habits.

post #22 of 26 Old 08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Are you sure the tire gnomes didn't change those out halfway through when you weren't looking?

14k - 16k on a BT023 sounds crazy, do you think that is a testament to the tire or to your riding style?
He may have been using one of these.

post #23 of 26 Old 08-17-2012, 03:08 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post

Really?

How do they market this? Keep your hog looking new, mechanically sound, and look like a bad-ass rider that does 20k a year?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #24 of 26 Old 08-17-2012, 04:02 PM
no max no more

Quote:

id say riding style....i dont sport ride on twisty roads.enjoy a good lean from time to time...mostly highway;;;;the stock bridgestones i got 12000 miles only reason i replaced them was two plugs in front tire...run psi on the higher side

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #25 of 26 Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Le So Cal Troll

oy.... plugs in moto tires... LET ALONE THE FRONT. never utter such things again.

Im lucky to get 5k out of any rear tire i run. Worst was 2.5k out of a pilot power 2ct that was bald from edge to edge.

post #26 of 26 Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post

Oh god that's funny.

I ran Avon Storm St on my last bike - 17 of them in over 90,000 miles. Superb tire. I averaged 7.5k rear and 12 to 15k front. I wanted a more aggressive tread pattern on the 919, enter the Dunlop D616. Otherwise I'd still be riding on Avon's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode