I need help!! 919 noise - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I need help!! 919 noise

Well, I got a problem and here my story.

I have an 04' 919, It's been great I had it for almost a year now, Over the winter I replaced the chain and sprockets and switched over to a wave rotor (not that I think this matters). I just got it out about 3 months ago and it's was fine for about 2 months, about a month ago I started getting a clunking noise when I'd roll the bike (Sounds like a chain binding) and when I got up to 100kph I hear a loud whirling noise.

For awhile I thought it was the chain, after cleaning and lubing and cleaning and lubing, the noise wouldn't go away. Then I realized I had play in the rear wheel, so I bought new bearings for the rear and put them in, the noise is still there. So I started trying different combination's using my old sprockets and stuff, then I started removing things. (I also realized I had the wheel spacers backwards for few weeks but when I switched them back the noise still persists) I removed everything until I was down to just the rear wheel, axel and the spacers, when the tire spins I hear this really loud clunk (sounds like metal and metal) within the wheel/hub, the right side caliper spacer doesn't move so I've ruled that out, and it's inconsistent when it's spinning around, it almost never does it in the same spot. When the axel nut just hand tight, it doesn't make the noise, but when you tighten it snug or to the proper torque the noise then appears.

I'm stumped, If anyone has an idea I could really use it, and thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

look in a parts catalog and check the exploded view.. make sure there are no parts/spacers etc missing... check the bearings again... (i know they are new) but i have seen brand new bearings in the box that were covered in rust..

post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I checked through my service manual and everything seems to be there, I guess that's my next choice is to pull the bearings back out

post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Last time I adjusted my chain, I had it a little too tight. It would make a clunking noise when I would roll the bike. I pulled the counter shaft sprocket cover and it was coming from that area. The counter shaft sprocket has a little play in it ....I loosened the chain up a bit and it went away.

Good luck!

post #5 of 10 Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Well the noise started before I even replaced the bearings, but I'm not ruling that out.

As far as the chain goes, I pretty much ruled that out I think, Even without the chain around the rear sprocket, and the wheel just rolling on the axel is doesn't make the noise till you tighten it up, it's within the wheel I'm sure.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I know this sounds crazy, but since the wheel is hollow i would check to make sure there isn't something being flung around in there. another thing to rule out before you start spending money.

post #7 of 10 Old 06-16-2009, 05:56 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

This has been discussed a few times. I believe the answer was that the countershaft sprocket needs to be greased. I'll try to search for another thread.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I think I got it, I studied the diagram in the service manual and it looks like Honda forget to get a part when ordering the bearings.

Thanks guys!

post #9 of 10 Old 06-18-2009, 04:53 AM
not cro-magnon

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicsoldier View Post
I think I got it, I studied the diagram in the service manual and it looks like Honda forget to get a part when ordering the bearings.

Thanks guys!
Which part?

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley
post #10 of 10 Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Discen

On the sprocket hub bearing, there's a sleeve that is supposed to be pressed into the bearing that fills in the space between that hub and the wheel itself. When it's not in, it allows the bearing to move side to side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode