I have yoshi pipes on my 919, do I need a power commander - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I have yoshi pipes on my 919, do I need a power commander

I have a 2004 Honda 919, I have yoshi pipes. Do I need a power commander? If I get a power commander will I notice any difference? How do I know what map to use

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 11:26 AM
TEXAN

Look for the "Search\/" icon and have at it - you will get a LOT of opinions and also facts on PC installs, maps, benefits, and problems.

Strictly speaking, you don't need a PC. When I installed one, my goals were to lean the bike out a tad (especially considering that I live at 4300 feet altitude), and to sharpen up the throttle response. Job done - I got what I wanted. What I did not get, nor expect to get, was noticeably more power.

post #3 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Get a PowerCommander. Preferably go dyno your bike so you can get a custom map for it. Other wise the PCIII USB (the model you need to buy) has maps on it and a few member have maps they can link you to. Just load a map go for a ride of you like it keep it of not try something else.

Sent from my way better than Android iPhone4 using Tapatalk 2

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'm not looking to get better performance, I'm happy with how the bike runs. Rides behiend me complain about my exhaust smell. They think the bike may be running rich? I think it runs fine. That's the only reason I ask about the power commander.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Love my BIG BOY Toys!

My experience with a power commander was a waste of money. $600 bike got worse mileage and performed worse. You are at the mercy of the turner to know what they are doing. Took mine off and bike leaned out a little (Hondas are normally rich) performed better and mileage improved.

1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero*
2004 Honda 919 *
2005 Harley Davidson Road Glide *
2002 Honda VTX 1800C*

* SOLD *
post #6 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Centurion

I have slip ons. I had a power commander. I sold the power commander. I don't miss it. I still have the slip ons. This is for a 919.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 02:41 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Do you NEED a PC? No. Will a PC help with the stink? Maybe. I have one and don't really care about the stink, what I LOVE about it is the smoothness of the throttle response, I won't give mine up.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I dont care about the stink. I just dont understand what the stink means? Someone said that i am blowing raw gas through the pipes and thats why i get the stink? So that scared me into thinking i need a power commander? As long as not running a power commander wont mess up my engine, Im ok without one..... Also thank you to all who responded.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Dead Wrong

Garage
If you aren't going to dyno tune your bike, do not waste your money on it.
You will proly lose power without a dyno tune + cold start problems and all.

Personal opinion, I have one and I love it... But you need the whole deal to actually give some power to your bike... Air filter, exhaust and pc. About the air filter you can get different opinions from experienced riders and mechanics some say it's good some bad but keep in mind all the pro race bikes got em...

About the stink issue, once you mount the pc and install maps, you bike will consume more air and/or fuel so you get a heavier smell, which is already a problem without any upgrades in most under tail exhaust bikes.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I have an '03 all stock and an '06 with Yosh pipes. Neither has a PC installed. I have no stink. Outside of idle growl of the slipons and their better sound when you get on it in the power band, I cannot tell a difference in performance.

Just my 2 cents,

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #11 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 PM
McTavish

My 919 was positively transformed once I had the PC3 on and nicely mapped with my Yosh TRSs. Some of the best money I spent on the bike. I tried the Erion map, which was not very good. Next I tried LDH's Moriwaki based v-4 map, which was very good and more than good enough. I then got a custom map done, which ended up really being some slight tweaking of the LDH map. I consider myself very picky on fueling, want, and got, mapping from top to bottom that will let me crawl at idle in 1st and use nothing but throttle with really nice control - the opposite of what it was like before the PC3 and good mapping.

post #12 of 14 Old 07-04-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you everyone for all the helpfull info

post #13 of 14 Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 AM
The Cripple

I'm with Mcromo all the way. I tend to think that those who do a lot of inner city riding and/or require fine throttle control/feedback are the ones who benefit most from a PCIII and tuning.

With that said, I won't give mine up! I had the terrible cold start issue and had to learn to live with it. Now I think I've figured out a work-around to avoid the cold start issue, but cannot get anyone to test my theory and report back.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I dont have an issue per say I just thumb the starter and a quick snap of the trhottle and the bike is fine. Other times I dont need to snap....

What I do need to do is go get a custom dyno for my Delks, K&N and the elevation.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode