I didn't do this when I rebuilt the clutch, what does it mean? - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 14 Old 10-30-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

I didn't do this when I rebuilt the clutch, what does it mean?

I was looking at this page and noticed a pic of the clutch where it says this:
Quote:
"...but here make sure you see that the outermost plate fits in an alternate grove"
At the bottom of this page:
cbr900f, 919, Hornet Factory Pro 800 869-0497 EVO Shiift Star Kit

I replaced the friction disks a few months back and never knew anything about this "alternate grove" and have no idea if I did it or not, I just put the new friction disks in.

What is this and why do we need to do it, what happens if I didn't get it right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 AM
McTavish

Not so fast.......
My guess is that you are alright.
The "alternate" just means fitting things up on the basis of disc/plate/disc/plate etc. as you do the stack building up of the basket.
The outer "disc" gets indexed differently, noting that the OEM outer is colour coded Green.
So as long as you first fitment was a disc, and you then "alternated" correctly with your subsequent fitments, and used the dedicated outer disc in the outer position and mounted it to the clutch cover, you are A OK.
Just revisit your work by memory based on the above, and see if you think you still might have an issue.
Hopefully you don't.

post #3 of 14 Old 10-30-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Not so fast.......
My guess is that you are alright.
The "alternate" just means fitting things up on the basis of disc/plate/disc/plate etc. as you do the stack building up of the basket.
The outer "disc" gets indexed differently, noting that the OEM outer is colour coded Green.
So as long as you first fitment was a disc, and you then "alternated" correctly with your subsequent fitments, and used the dedicated outer disc in the outer position and mounted it to the clutch cover, you are A OK.
Just revisit your work by memory based on the above, and see if you think you still might have an issue.
Hopefully you don't.
I don't remember the last disk being different. I remember the first disk in was different and so I followed the pattern that was there already, but I don't remember any of the other disks being different.

I see here that there are 3 different disks:
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...1093#sch416190

I don't remember buying 3 different types of disks and I specifically remember going thru every one of them.

I only remember the "odd" one that was a bit different in size and that went first. I wonder what the difference is in the last one.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-30-2019, 11:30 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I don't remember the last disk being different. I remember the first disk in was different and so I followed the pattern that was there already, but I don't remember any of the other disks being different.

I see here that there are 3 different disks:
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...1093#sch416190

I don't remember buying 3 different types of disks and I specifically remember going thru every one of them.

I only remember the "odd" one that was a bit different in size and that went first. I wonder what the difference is in the last one.
Sorry, but I don't know about the 3 disc types at all, and have no way to determine it.
You mention one being differently sized and that you put it in first.
Is that because of comparison to what you removed, or is it the only one that fits there?
Did you get OEM parts?
If so, the outer disc is supposed to be green.
If it ends that you have OEM parts, with one green one, and yet another that is different from the others and only fits inboard, then simply take it apart and check your stack build and rearrange if need be.
Short story, it seems to me that you are stuck having to open it up again.

post #5 of 14 Old 10-30-2019, 01:24 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:

Meh... not an hard task. This pic was dated 09/05/2002 and as best as I can remember I had not owned the bike for no more than a week before I had it apart...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch.jpg (98.8 KB, 10 views)

post #6 of 14 Old 10-30-2019, 01:46 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Meh... not an hard task. This pic was dated 09/05/2002 and as best as I can remember I had not owned the bike for no more than a week before I had it apart...
Almost a whole week before tinkering with a new bike.
Excellent!

I remember riding home on my new CB750 in '73 with a set of clubman bars in my backpack, having just picked up the bike from Sturgess in Hamilton Ontario.
Let's just say my Dad didn't understand why I was making changes on a brand new bike I'd only had for less than an hour.
Just thinking about it makes me smile again.
WxN likes this.

post #7 of 14 Old 10-30-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't know about the 3 disc types at all, and have no way to determine it.
You mention one being differently sized and that you put it in first.
Is that because of comparison to what you removed, or is it the only one that fits there?
Did you get OEM parts?
If so, the outer disc is supposed to be green.
If it ends that you have OEM parts, with one green one, and yet another that is different from the others and only fits inboard, then simply take it apart and check your stack build and rearrange if need be.
I don't mind opening it up, but I know for a fact that at least one disk was different. I took the stack of disks and compared each one, including the markings.

Maybe this will help explain:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...-ac-919/clutch

In this pic, you see items, 7, 8 and 9. Used in these quantities: 1, 6, 1

So you have 3 different part numbers used in the set of friction disks.

22201-MAE-000 qty 1
22201-MAE-E00 qty 6
22202-MAE-000 qty 1

I actually ordered thru Partzilla, and my order history shows that I ordered exactly that... 3 part numbers plus the clutch cable.

However, I don't remember seeing the difference other than the one "odd" one that was clearly very different.

I also didn't really need the clutch, once I changed the oil, the slippage went away and I wasn't able to reproduce it. When I measured the old vs new clutch pack stacked together... I could NOT tell the difference. I went ahead and installed the new disks that had been soaking for a long time.

By that time, they were LONG out of the package... So no chance of tracing it back using the package... I'd need to know the markings or how do you tell one from the other?

It didn't even occur to me, that there were 3 unique disks until I say the first pic posted and I couldn't remember if I actually set the 3rd disk type as last and don't know how to see which is which.

post #8 of 14 Old 10-30-2019, 03:58 PM
919 Rider

Often colour coded on edge.
Final disc goes into alternate groove.
Do you still have your old discs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0007_zps498f1335_1572472483995.jpg (41.9 KB, 6 views)
mcromo44 likes this.

post #9 of 14 Old 10-30-2019, 05:28 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
This is what's needed to help out KarlJay.
Someone else that has done it, got it right, and remembers.
And even has some pictures.

post #10 of 14 Old 10-30-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
I'm not sure if I kept the old disks or not, I wonder what the difference is and if they are marked like that.

It was early this year and that's after they sat for a while so I don't remember if they were marked the same way.

Do you happen do know what the difference is? One was very clearly a different size, IIRC, it was bigger on the inside so that "meat" part was smaller than the rest.

post #11 of 14 Old 11-07-2019, 02:17 AM
919 Rider

This might help. Similar clutch.
https://youtu.be/1ke6zyhk0EE

post #12 of 14 Old 11-07-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Ok, now I get it. There's a 2nd set of slots and the last disk goes in the 2nd set of slots. Now I know what to look for. Two things, 1. A different disk 2. set into a different set of slots.

I'm going to open it up and check.

post #13 of 14 Old 11-07-2019, 12:22 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Personally, I would only every disassemble the clutch spring bolt set the way he reinstalled them, instead of zipping each one out in a single fast go.
Too easy to snap off a (bolt receiving) tower.

I distinctly recollect that Pvester stripped a tower bolt hole on his, but I don't know if that was at reassembly or disassembly.
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Personally, I would only every disassemble the clutch spring bolt set the way he reinstalled them, instead of zipping each one out in a single fast go.
Too easy to snap off a (bolt receiving) tower.

I distinctly recollect that Pvester stripped a tower bolt hole on his, but I don't know if that was at reassembly or disassembly.
That's strange that he did it that way. Anytime you have a shared load, you always want to go in stages.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode