Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

I didn't do this when I rebuilt the clutch, what does it mean?

989 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  KarlJay 
#1 ·
I was looking at this page and noticed a pic of the clutch where it says this:
"...but here make sure you see that the outermost plate fits in an alternate grove"
At the bottom of this page:
cbr900f, 919, Hornet Factory Pro 800 869-0497 EVO Shiift Star Kit

I replaced the friction disks a few months back and never knew anything about this "alternate grove" and have no idea if I did it or not, I just put the new friction disks in.

What is this and why do we need to do it, what happens if I didn't get it right?

#2 ·
Not so fast.......
My guess is that you are alright.
The "alternate" just means fitting things up on the basis of disc/plate/disc/plate etc. as you do the stack building up of the basket.
The outer "disc" gets indexed differently, noting that the OEM outer is colour coded Green.
So as long as you first fitment was a disc, and you then "alternated" correctly with your subsequent fitments, and used the dedicated outer disc in the outer position and mounted it to the clutch cover, you are A OK.
Just revisit your work by memory based on the above, and see if you think you still might have an issue.
Hopefully you don't.

#3 ·
I don't remember the last disk being different. I remember the first disk in was different and so I followed the pattern that was there already, but I don't remember any of the other disks being different.

I see here that there are 3 different disks:
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2006-honda-919-cb900f/o/m151093#sch416190

I don't remember buying 3 different types of disks and I specifically remember going thru every one of them.

I only remember the "odd" one that was a bit different in size and that went first. I wonder what the difference is in the last one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.