I balanced my own tires using jack stands and an extension. - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KarlJay

post #1 of 8 Old 03-02-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I balanced my own tires using jack stands and an extension.

I saw a few videos about balancing your own tires. I priced different placed and the total mounting and balancing was from $80 ~ $120. I found a regular tire shop that did the mount and disposal for $15/each total.

So I then needed to balance them.

I place two regular jack stands fully extended, put a 3/8" socket extension (about 12") thru the wheel and put it on the jack stands. Played around a bit to test how accurate it would be, then added a bit of 3N1 oil (light machine oil) on the extension.

Tested over and over, seems very accurate.

Removed all the weights, taped on various weights until I found the right amount and the right spot. Applied contact cement to a clean surface and reused some of the old weights. Applied equal amounts to both sides and double checked that it was balanced.

No special tools needed.

The light oil helps to keep it from sticking, testing in both directions, every few inches, helps to insure you have the right weight and spot.

I need to find some good Gaffers tape to go over the weights.

Harbor Freight sells a tool for this, but (IMO) you really don't need it.
Islandboy likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-02-2019, 10:39 PM
919 Rider

Can you buy weights for motorcycle wheels. Cause mine have none that I could reuse.
I'm interested in balancing my own wheels too.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-02-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Yes, MotionPro sells them, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get a few oz from a local shop.

Mine only needed 4 squares, probably .25 oz each. Wasn't much need to buy a whole kit of them.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-04-2019, 07:39 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Not sure how accurate this will end up being... When you're balancing a tire you really want it spinning on its own bearings, not on a center axle. The way you're doing it it's off center, spinning on the extension, introducing quite a bit of variability and additional friction. Will it get you close enough to be acceptable? Probably... but in all likelihood you could just run the tire without balancing and not have any problems either.

I'd be interested to compare it back to back with a decent balancer that uses cones into the bearings.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 8 Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

There's a way you can tell how accurate it is. If it gives you an answer, you double check the other direction. Meaning, you mark the tire and apply an amount of weight using tape, then you check at the other direction and at different spots. You can check every 2 inches in both direction and record the response.

The 3N1 oil is used to reduce the friction, and it did make a nice difference, you can tell by how it moves and slows down, then goes back the other direction. So if it's going clockwise, it should go back counter clockwise because if it has enough speed, it will over shoot a bit.

It take a while and I'd rather have the very thin contact points that some have, but checking ever 2 inches really covers the bases.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 AM
The Peeper

Have you tried Dyna Beads? I use them and they work great.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I haven't tried Dyna Beads, they sound interesting. I can say after several trips on the freeway that this seems to have worked great. I used contact cement on reused weights and they are holding great. No vibration that I can tell.

post #8 of 8 Old 03-11-2019, 08:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeper View Post
Have you tried Dyna Beads? I use them and they work great.
Do you have any documentation on how they "work great?" Have you ran a tire without them that felt unbalanced and then added them and it felt better?

I can totally buy Dynabeads for an application like a semi; long straight drives at constant speeds. The problem is, they only work once they've reached an equilibrium in the tire, and changes in speed, direction, or rotational axis will throw them off, and they won't work (and might even work against the balance) until they've reached equilibrium again. In my mind, motorcycle tires are far too dynamic of an application for them to actually do their jobs correctly.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode