Hyper Pro suspension - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 01-20-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Hyper Pro suspension

I have placed an order through at suspensionshop.org (South Australia) for a Hyperpro street-box package which consists of an emulsion shock, fork springs and oil. The 900 Hornet was not listed and the shock on it's own was going to sell for $699. The shock is set up for your weight of course and I told him Lorna, (my lady) rides pillions occasionally too; the thing is though, and get this, the shock spring is jellybean purple. Anyway I've never really been into fashion, otherwise I would have bought an Aprilia or Ducati
So the package cost $903 AUS delivered to WA; there is option to fit valves, but that's a job I will get done locally in WA.

Anyway the ETA is 3 weeks out of the Netherlands and I can't wait; should get them in time for my birthday second week of February if I'm lucky.
Walter there was all over the service, the emails were followed up on promptly and reading other forums where he has supplied adventure bike dudes he knows his stuff and is an enthusiast.
We shall see, watch this space for a product and service review.

Maloney67
"it's easier to ask forgiveness
than it is to get permission"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Left of Centre

Good for you.

I looked into their stuff on-line before finding a YSS shock locally that was a good-enough fit. I'll be interested to hear what you think - what's the spring rate they are giving you, do you know?

post #3 of 31 Old 01-20-2015, 11:11 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'd be interested in a compare between the various options we (919 owners) have. I see this is a 'kit' vs just a shock, which make it all the more interesting.

Is the as shock adjustable as other high end ones or just a re-hash/revalve of the stock one?

post #4 of 31 Old 01-23-2015, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I'd be interested in a compare between the various options we (919 owners) have. I see this is a 'kit' vs just a shock, which make it all the more interesting.

Is the as shock adjustable as other high end ones or just a re-hash/revalve of the stock one?
I have copied info from the web site. Once I have it delivered and fitted with the fork springs I will post a report.

This is a basic Emulsion Shock. HType 460/360 Emulsion Shock

The difference is that the emulsion shock does not divide the nitrogen and oil. It mingles and emulsifies inside the shock. Since nitrogen expands very little when heated, the mixture provides great performance.

FEATURES: Rebound Adjustment / Lightweight 7075 Aircraft Alloy NC Machined Body / Integrated Heat Compensation / Infinite Spring Preload Adjuster

Adjuster / Progressive Spring (Linear Also Available) / 50 Clicks On Rebound Adjustment

I found some interesting reading on the advrider forums F800gs and Hyperpro review - ADVrider Preload

Their fork springs and YSS shocks are also being used on the Spa Kat GSX1170 in Motorcycle Mechanic Magazine Spa Katana | Making a forgotten old Suzuki great again.

I had a look on the USA website, like Australia a streetbox kit is not listed however they can obviously prvide it if requested; should be $699 USA as listed for a 600 Hornet.
http://www.epmperf.com/streetbox.html streetbox

Maloney67
post #5 of 31 Old 01-26-2015, 03:13 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Anything I say is always construed as biased since I sell Ohlins and nobody seems to care that I got this job by testing all brands of suspension for years and years, but emulsion shocks are the very last resort in my professional opinion.

Additionally I have not have very good results with HyperPro products in terms of performance or reliability. I had 2 HyperPro steering dampers that both ended up leaking within less than 3 months of use and the shocks I have tested never measured up to the Penske or Ohlins in back to back testing. They are pretty though...

post #6 of 31 Old 01-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Anything I say is always construed as biased since I sell Ohlins...
No, man, I don't think that's how it is...

Let me try for a bit of an analogy here, to help illustrate.

It's more like you are a Rolls-Royce salesman, with years of racing and testing experience across a range of brands, and you see that your product could remove a lot of issues for a lot of consumers.

Sadly, despite your experience and recommendations, we just don't all have a Rolls-Royce budget, which forces us into compromise choices.

Even though our below-Rolls-Royce-level spending may be less effective in the longer term, that's all some of us can afford. So, when compared to the Trabant-level standard suspension, we see mid-price solutions as effective. You see them as less effective than the ultimate solution of your Rolls-Royce product.

Just for a change [NOT], point-of-view is everything.

Man, give me a Rolls-Royce-level income, and my bike will be groaning under the weight of O-brand products, I promise.

In the meantime, the kids have to eat...and finish university...and the cats have to go to the vet...

post #7 of 31 Old 01-28-2015, 03:22 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

if I read correctly it was $903 delivered to Australia.

The HO201 Ohlins shock would have been only about $100 more delivered and it is not an emulsion type shock, but rather a high pressure gas type with an external reservoir.

If the difference between feeding the kids and getting the cat to the vet hinges on $100 of your discretionary budget then you probably shouldn't be buying the shock at all

post #8 of 31 Old 01-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
If the difference between feeding the kids and getting the cat to the vet hinges on $100 of your discretionary budget then you probably shouldn't be buying the shock at all
Just put the cat down

Kidding kidding.....

(sorry, bad joke - but if you know my youtube channel you know that I hit a cat on my bike - I really did feel bad, that was someone's friend).

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 31 Old 01-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Left of Centre

"if I read correctly it was $903 delivered to Australia.

The HO201 Ohlins shock would have been only about $100 more delivered and it is not an emulsion type shock, but rather a high pressure gas type with an external reservoir."

Sure...you make a good point in this specific case, if those are indeed the number$; my comments were intended to be a bit more generic.

post #10 of 31 Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 AM
Centurion

Quote:
if I read correctly it was $903 delivered to Australia.

The HO201 Ohlins shock would have been only about $100 more delivered and it is not an emulsion type shock, but rather a high pressure gas type with an external reservoir.

This kit looks to have the shock, fork springs and fork oil.

post #11 of 31 Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZspokes View Post
Well that would certainly sweeten the deal a bit, but you are still getting way more shock for the money with the Ohlins.

I am supposed to be charging $1238 for the HO201, but have been selling them to you guys for $919 so that is a $300 value right off the top.

post #12 of 31 Old 01-29-2015, 07:53 AM
Discen

Perhaps we should compare his hyperpro with ohlins HO322 instead. That's half of the money.

My shock is dying, and i'm considering getting an ohlins, but HO201 it's too far away to me, and by now i don't miss adjustability in my '03 bike.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #13 of 31 Old 01-29-2015, 07:56 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispao View Post
Perhaps we should compare his hyperpro with ohlins HO322 instead. That's half of the money.

My shock is dying, and i'm considering getting an ohlins, but HO201 it's too far away to me, and by now i don't miss adjustability in my '03 bike.

The HO322 is a high pressure internal reservoir shock which is still way above the emulsion style units. They are only about $550.

For only $369 more you get the HO201 with the additional Compression damping, External Reservoir and the remote hydraulic preload adjuster. Typically that is the cost of a hydraulic preload adjuster just by itself so when I view the numbers it is incomprehensible to me to settle for a lesser model when the money is so close.

post #14 of 31 Old 01-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Centurion

Quote:

This guy can rebuild your shock with a new piston for just over $200. Bit more and you can get adjustable comp. His advice has been bang on for me.

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/

post #15 of 31 Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Discen

Quote:
The HO322 is a high pressure internal reservoir shock which is still way above the emulsion style units. They are only about $550.

For only $369 more you get the HO201 with the additional Compression damping, External Reservoir and the remote hydraulic preload adjuster. Typically that is the cost of a hydraulic preload adjuster just by itself so when I view the numbers it is incomprehensible to me to settle for a lesser model when the money is so close.
Well, $369 over $550 is 33%, and i still think that it's too much. I never missed compression damping, and i'm almost fine with OEM for my purpose.

Quote:
This guy can rebuild your shock with a new piston for just over $200. Bit more and you can get adjustable comp. His advice has been bang on for me.

Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification
Thank you, but shipping costs abroad in Spain are very expensive. On the other hand, there're some people like that in Barcelona (1000km), and it's a possibility i'm considering.

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa

post #16 of 31 Old 01-29-2015, 10:44 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well, $369 over $550 is 33%, and i still think that it's too much. I never missed compression damping, and i'm almost fine with OEM for my purpose.

Just get another OEM shock then. I've seen them sell for as low as $25 on the forums and some guys even give them away just to get them out of their garage.

post #17 of 31 Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Batman

In the economies of scale, 300 is worth the investment considering if you hated it you could flip on the open market for a 200$ profit! Ive spent 100$ quicker on dumber things.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Centurion

Quote:

Thank you, but shipping costs abroad in Spain are very expensive. On the other hand, there're some people like that in Barcelona (1000km), and it's a possibility i'm considering.
Jaime knows his stuff and would probably sell you the high flow piston with the right shim stack so you can get a local to rebuild it. Just another option.

post #19 of 31 Old 01-29-2015, 11:44 AM
Discen

Quote:
Just get another OEM shock then. I've seen them sell for as low as $25 on the forums and some guys even give them away just to get them out of their garage.
I said "almost fine". I can see that it isn't the best when going fast, but that's 10% of the time.

I usually go with pillion, and frequently with cases. So, considering that oem only has 35000mi and it's dying, what i look for is some improvement, without racing requirements, and with an adjusted budget... the imposible, i know.

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa

post #20 of 31 Old 01-30-2015, 11:31 PM
Left of Centre

Welcome to Talking-to-the-Ohlins-guy World.

Good luck..

post #21 of 31 Old 01-31-2015, 11:52 AM
Le So Cal Troll

OHLINS OR BUST SON!!!

that stated i love my ohlins rear... but i got her for 650 !

post #22 of 31 Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
As you said NZspokes the kit is fork springs and oil. Without a side by side comparison and long term project evaluation of both products (Ohlins & Hyperpro) with the same riders etc etc etc. I will never know the difference, but it's definitely going to be much better value for dollars than OEM. Still have another 2-3 weeks I reckon before it all arrives, Doh. Now I need a stand so I can fit it all!

Maloney67
post #23 of 31 Old 03-01-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

The suspension package arrived and I opt to spend my energy on house renovations and farmed out the installation to a mate Robbie (ex UK speedway racer) at the local Kwaka dealership. I didn't have time to even take the bike for a decent test ride as I drove back to the mine site that day 600km from home. Will give a update on the ride performance in the next 7 days. Intend on riding my usual haunts to get a seat of the pants comparison.
The fork springs were cut to size with no need for cutting tube pre-load like other progressive springs I have used.

Maloney67
post #24 of 31 Old 03-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Does anyone have a Hagon Shock? just wondering

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #25 of 31 Old 03-13-2015, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Suspension fitted; quick update

So I received the suspension and decided to get a local mechanic who has done work for me to install it. Basically I caved in We are renovating the house before it goes on the market, no stands, time poor.....smelly armpits syndrome. You know we all have them and nobody likes them
My mechanic, now friend Robby used to race speedway solo's and was a head mechanic at Triumph in the UK; suffice to say he goes alright!
So how does it all feel now, you may ask? Well it's easy to justify your decision with rational, so I will try to remain impartial
Firstly, I'm not a track day rider or wannabe knee down street racer, I'm just an old school hang off the seat (only when i'm pushing myself) otherwise fairly conventional upright riding position kind of guy. Few, bloody mouthful!
I rode Ginger (my 9'r) to one of my local back country roads for a shake down.
In the back of my mind was Robby (mech) saying remember those front springs will bed in after a bit of riding, so the ride will settle after a few km's.
So not knowing what to expect I took it reasonably easy for a Hornet hooligan
The bike felt allot more compliant in braking points and in the transition from coming off the brakes and onto throttle. Through the corners the bike, although stiffer or more taut, gave no head shake or wallow and stayed planted on line. Once I had the feel of the new handling, I did three passes through a 3 km stretch of moderate speed (80kph sign posted) sweepers which are off camber, some a bit uneven and one of them down hill off camber
What I must say is the feedback through the seat of my pants gave me allot more confidence both in myself and the bike. My corner entry & exit speed was higher, I scrubbed off more chicken strip although I didn't find the hero knobs. The corners above were able to be apexed at around 110kph I reckon which was up 10-15kph than before without soiling my pants.
Next R&R I will twiddle some knobs and get the sag set....yes I know what yer all thinking.
You mean your so called mechanic guru didn't do that with you on the bike yadda yadda! I was in a hurry and had to pick up the bike so didn't ask if he used a colleague to dial it in, or he was going to get me back in once it all settled down. He should be all over it.
If anything I would say the rebound could be backed off a click front and rear; obviously I would only do one adjustment at a time when testing.
I will follow up with a final progress report. No laughing at my chicken strips OK
Before
After

Maloney67
post #26 of 31 Old 03-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Centurion

Nice.

But chicken strips dont show how good or bad a rider is. Unless they are a mile wide.

Remember to check rebound with the bike having been ridden, not cold. The fluid will heat and act differently when warm.

post #27 of 31 Old 03-16-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Cheers for the comments NZspokes. Yep I agree, plenty of loose units out there who can throw a bike around. You just don't want to ride to close to them. BTW this is what comes in the kit. The fork spring is made specifically for the Hornet and is progressive, and only requires an air gap.

Maloney67
post #28 of 31 Old 04-09-2015, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Have booked Ginger in for a track day 11th July at Barbagallo Raceway in Western Australia. The new shock and fork springs are awesome and I have really come to grips with the bike since having them fitted. Can't wait to have some track time to really have some fun....without binning it!

Maloney67
post #29 of 31 Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

So I finally got Ginger to the track. My Ford Ranger had spat the chewy (cam belt, camshaft) so I rode there 200km round trip & overnight-ed at a friends. I was fairly anxious about binning the bike and my preparation was average. Made sure the tyres were at 28 front and rear, taped and cable tied necessary parts and lubed the chain.
There was a couple of corners that took me a while to get my head around (literally); I wasn't lifting my vision/head enough to look through the corner. Anyway best fun with your pants on. It had been 30 years since the last day out on a track. The Hyper pro suspension worked well. I could have got a guy off Perth Street bikes to dial them in for me, but I ran out of time......work etc.
The bike performed predictably under brakes and stayed on line nicely. Rider input was an issue, two things, not enough counter steering in hairpins corners and possibly my height and the std tall bars. I was on Michelin Roads PR3 which heated up well and stuck like shit to a blanket; cupped a bit so I guess I could have increased the tyre pressure as the day warmed up. Otherwise I cannot fault the bike and the handling. There is allot of room for improvement in my body positioning and also keeping my head up higher and I know there is more lean angle in me too! Next purchase when money comes to hand is brake lines, crash bars and renthal medium low bars for leverage. I need some leathers as well. Great instructors and I can recommend track days to anybody of interest to have a go.

Maloney67
post #30 of 31 Old 08-03-2015, 12:39 AM
Left of Centre

Sounds like a good day out, mate - how did you go vs the V8 lap times? J/k.

post #31 of 31 Old 08-03-2015, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Pedestrian!

Maloney67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode