How to re-key a 919 - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By draco880

post #1 of 14 Old 08-21-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

How to re-key a 919

Hey all, my 919 led an extremely interesting life before getting to me, and along the way I learned what is, I think, the easiest way to re-key the bike. This is for the North American model, which has a security system reliant on a Zener diode which is usually in the ignition. There are a ton of '919 key sets' available, meaning a tank cap, ignition, and the rear seat latch, BUT! they are nearly all based on the Asian and EU version of the bike, which does not have that system and thus doesn't have a diode. The tank and seat latch for these kits will generally work fine, subject to caveats below, but the ignition will refuse to start the bike. You'll get an FI light, no fuel pump priming, no error codes, and the bike won't go. So:

1. Which keyset to buy? I actually went through a few learning how to do this, but they're cheap. The only thing you need to care about here is the shape of the rear latch. Some versions of the Hornet had a slightly different rear latch that won't work reliably on most US models. The one you want looks like a small triangle, as per the attached image.

2. Add the proper base, or wire in a diode. The ignition base you got almost certainly doesn't have the diode in it. Opening up the base, you will likely see 4 wires, none of them pink. It'll probably look like this, though without a diode in yet.

Your board at the back of the bike is looking for a certain voltage drop from the ignition to make sure it's not hotwired. A new ignition will not do this, so the bike won't start. To fix this, you can either just order the proper ignition contact base from Partzilla, part number 35101-MCZ-670, or you can solder in a diode.

2.a. If you just ordered a new contact base, it's plug and play. Disassemble the ignition, making sure to keep the stupid springs within contained. You only need to take apart the butt section, and swap it with the new base plate, which does have a pink wire coming out, and a diode already in place.

2.b. If you're cheap and/or like frustrating welding jobs, the diode that you want can be had for 30 cents plus shipping from the good folks at Mouser, here. Don't pay the absurd markup some people want for these things. The diode can be soldered in either right into the ignition, as in the image above, or you can put it in right next to the board.

The wire you want on the board is, appropriately, the pink wire. It's ECU Gray connector pin #19, and all it wants is to see a voltage lower than battery. I've verified that at least my bike is fine with a voltage as low as 8.5v. If it's 12v or up, the bike won't start. To put the diode in, cut the wire, connect at both sides either with some kinda crimped connecter or solder, and make sure to have shrink tubing over the whole thing. If this connection comes lose, or a crappy connection zaps the diode, you now have a very pretty paperweight until you fix it.

That's it! Now a rescued franken-bike on several keys can be run all on the same key, for either about $80 if you ordered from Partzilla, or ~$30 if you ordered the diode from Mouser and did the pain in the ass soldering yourself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Alright, inline images weren't working, so here are the associated images, in order. Rear latch shape, Asia-market ignition with janky soldered-in diode. Not shown is the ECU diagram, but that's in the shop manual.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 3.34.43 PM.png (10.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190731_162413.jpg (35.1 KB, 30 views)

post #3 of 14 Old 08-21-2019, 03:57 PM
McTavish

This great info!
But I can't view any of the pictures you posted.
Are any others having the same problem?
Can you see your pics on the website?

I'm keen to access the pics, as I want to create a document that copies your info, and put it in the Dropbox.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-21-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
This great info!
But I can't view any of the pictures you posted.
Are any others having the same problem?
Can you see your pics on the website?

I'm keen to access the pics, as I want to create a document that copies your info, and put it in the Dropbox.
Hold on, making a PDF.

post #5 of 14 Old 08-21-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Can't attached PDFs. Sigh. Got it all written up and pretty if someone wants to give me an email to shoot it to.

post #6 of 14 Old 08-21-2019, 05:18 PM
919 Rider

Looks like you've made it into the Dropbox Hall of Fame!
Well done mate. Thanks for doing this. I live in Australia, got the HISS system so this might need a work around for these bikes. I'm sure this info will help 919 owners in the future.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-21-2019, 05:27 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by draco880 View Post
Can't attached PDFs. Sigh. Got it all written up and pretty if someone wants to give me an email to shoot it to.
Just PM'd you.

post #8 of 14 Old 08-21-2019, 08:17 PM
Tirone

post #9 of 14 Old 08-22-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Looks like you've made it into the Dropbox Hall of Fame!
Well done mate. Thanks for doing this. I live in Australia, got the HISS system so this might need a work around for these bikes. I'm sure this info will help 919 owners in the future.

Hey, thanks! Pleased to be able to give a bit back, gotten a ton of info and saved a ton of money from this forum.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #10 of 14 Old 08-22-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Adding some more helpful images. First is a better shot of the shape you want for the rear latch, second shows the two main parts of the ignition. To re-key the easy way, mate the ignition contact base from Partzilla to the upper portion from your Asian kit.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 4.11.49 PM.png (53.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 4.26.04 PM.png (56.0 KB, 2 views)

post #11 of 14 Old 08-22-2019, 03:22 PM
Centurion

& you just did not have a new key cut based on the key code because?

post #12 of 14 Old 08-22-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

First sentence, brosef. Bike was on 3 keys when I got it.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-22-2019, 05:01 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Hey, thanks! Pleased to be able to give a bit back, gotten a ton of info and saved a ton of money from this forum.
I just posted draco880's PDF re-keying a 919 document in the Dropbox.
The path is WT_Shared/919/1 Common Problems.

I figured a folder with the word "problems" was a better device than using the Electrical file.
I suppose a "Security" folder could be created.
If anyone thinks such a folder should be created, please say so and I'll do it and move the document there.
HISS info would obviously go in such a place too.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-22-2019, 07:48 PM
Centurion

Quote:
First sentence, brosef. Bike was on 3 keys when I got it.
Oh I see, by first you mean last.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode