How to lift front end without a stand? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
How to lift front end without a stand?

Hey Guys,

I'm changing my tires today on my 919. I only have a rear stand. Any ideas on how to lift the front end without having to buy a front stand?

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

You can either hold the bike up by the bars with a strap or I've put the kickstand on a wood block and jack up the other side so it sits level with the rear off the ground, then I strap the rear down to the ground to hold the front up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #3 of 7 Old 04-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Pilus Posterior

I looked into this when I was doing my fork seals. I have a Harbor Freight rear stand, floor jack(s), jack stands and straps.

I went with rear on the stand (to make it stable) and floor jack under the exhaust (wood block to protect). It worked VERY well.

The other option is a bar under the exhaust going out to some kind of stand. Basically you're lifting the bike from under the exhaust where it bolts to the head. You just need stands that are tall enough.

Another option is to lift with strap(s). One on the backbone, slide tank back and lift from the backbone. Two on the bars.

All of these are more stable with a rear stand because you only have a single point of balance without the rear stand. The upside is that a rear stand is very, very handy for chain clean/lube/adj...

Note: I went with rear stand, floor jack under exhaust because I needed to check the head bearings. If you lift by the bars, you can't check the bearing. While you have it up, good to check the wheel bearings as well. I had some brake drag on mine but without brakes the wheel spun nice, with brakes it didn't spin much.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-22-2017, 04:23 PM
So Far So Good

With just a Rear Stand you a bit limited.

Invest in a centerstand or a Harbour Freight bike stand and use your car's jack to leverage the front.

With a center-stand, place enough weight on the rear and the front wheel goes up.

There is a You Tube video on raising both Nighthawk wheels by using the center-stand and then wedging a piece of wood in the headers to maintain the front end. A picture/video is worth a thousand words.

Remember to loosen the axle nut with the wheel on the ground first, just like on a car and then raise the front tire 'just enough' to roll the wheel away. If you raise up the tire too high, it makes angling the axle that much more difficult when you are done.

Hope this helps.

"Another reason to buy cheap tires is that they give you a more frequent excuse to keep in tire changing practice. "

post #5 of 7 Old 04-22-2017, 05:02 PM
Pilus Posterior

+1 on that Harbor Freight stand, got mine with a 20% discount coupon ended up some $30, hard to beat that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogvet View Post

Invest in a centerstand or a Harbour Freight bike stand and use your car's jack to leverage the front.

With a center-stand, place enough weight on the rear and the front wheel goes up.

There is a You Tube video on raising both Nighthawk wheels by using the center-stand and then wedging a piece of wood in the headers to maintain the front end. A picture/video is worth a thousand words.

Remember to loosen the axle nut with the wheel on the ground first, just like on a car and then raise the front tire 'just enough' to roll the wheel away. If you raise up the tire too high, it makes angling the axle that much more difficult when you are done.

Hope this helps.

"Another reason to buy cheap tires is that they give you a more frequent excuse to keep in tire changing practice. "

post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2017, 05:25 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogvet View Post
"
Incorrect. With the 919, all you need is a rear stand and you can get pretty creative with lifting the front. A lot of different options work depending on what you have laying around or budget.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-22-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I ended up jacking the front up with my car jack. I just put two pieces of 24 under kickstand and then jacked on the right side of the oil pan.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Just ride!
2006 Honda 919 (my baby)
1990 GS500 (POS first bike)
2015 Honda Grom (City destroyer)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode