How do you support your bike to remove forks? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

How do you support your bike to remove forks?

I have an engine puller, rear stand and some heavy 4' truck jack stands and plenty of wood.

What did you guys attach to?

I'd like to be able to lift it, remove the forks, drain, clean, seals, etc... then replace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Discen

Jackstands under the frame sliders...

post #3 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

+1 that's how mine is sitting in the garage right now

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan

post #4 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

I don't have frame sliders. Is there a way to support things without them?

I have points I can hang the front end from, just need to know how to do it so it doesn't get in the way.

I remember trying before and couldn't get clear of the handle bars and tank at the same time. Maybe a rope on each side of the handle bars going outward to overhead beams.

post #5 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post

I have points I can hang the front end from, just need to know how to do it so it doesn't get in the way.

I remember trying before and couldn't get clear of the handle bars and tank at the same time. Maybe a rope on each side of the handle bars going outward to overhead beams.
Before I got my front stand, I made my own rack that I hung the bike from. I jacked it up by the header and tied the handlebars to the rack to keep it suspended using ratchet straps. Do a search and you'll find some of my picks posted. Just make sure that the rear is supported. Other option is a $60 front triple tree stand.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #6 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Milites Gregarius

The way it was done on the lift was that we put the bike on backwards, clamped the wheel in (so the rear stand would work for you), then got tie downs around the passenger pegs and then used a scissor jack like this http://m.sears.com/dragway-tools-110...-SPM7880062927 under the exhaust.

Perhaps you could use a car jack with some wood to spread the load?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

There's always the redneck approach

Dan
post #8 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Optio

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
YES! Thanks voodoo for posting. I totally stole this approach and it worked really well. Voodoo answered my questions as I set off to build it. Got my pipes at Lowes. Probably overpaid, but it works well.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #9 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
This looks like what I'll end up doing. I put up some pretty large beams when I reworked the house. A few straps should do just fine. It's not like I need to do this very often.

It looks like it hooks to the handle bars just inside of each clamp.

post #10 of 20 Old 02-28-2017, 09:16 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Actually I just looped the strap under the steering head

Dan
post #11 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 06:29 AM
Josh

Garage
A decent front stand really isn't that expensive. $100 should get you one that will work for years. It's nice to have for changing brakes, tires, or even winter storage.

Cycle Gear has their "Trackside" house brand front stand for $90.
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...ead-lift-stand

post #12 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 AM
The Cripple

I hung my 919 front end via the handle bars many times with zero issues. You're over thinking it. You can use a simple A frame ladder to suspend the front for you. Or use the rear stand to hold and stabilize the bike and then jack up the front with a floor jack under the headers. Just don't go pulling or banging on it hard and you'll be fine.

post #13 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 07:25 AM
Josh

Garage
I hung the rear end of my Buell from an A-Frame ladder when I needed to remove the motor (swingarm attaches to the motor). That works too.

post #14 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 09:19 AM
Tirone

Garage
If you pop the seat and slide the tank back you can throw a cloth strap thorough the spine of the frame a few times to make a loop to hook any type of vertical wench to. I used a chain fall attached to a tow strap run through the spine of the bike with no problems. I had it hung like this for weeks due to the right front fork being bent.

Keep the rubber side down and the smiles going. Remember no one can hear you sing in your helmet.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis984 View Post
A decent front stand really isn't that expensive. $100 should get you one that will work for years. It's nice to have for changing brakes, tires, or even winter storage.

Cycle Gear has their "Trackside" house brand front stand for $90.
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessorie...ead-lift-stand
That looks like something that I should be able to make as an add on to my rear lift. A "U" with a handle that replaces the lift points.

Downside is that I think the rear stand is more stable than the rear tire. One of my concerns was that the bike would twist while being hung, a rear stand should keep that from happening.

post #16 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Downside is that I think the rear stand is more stable than the rear tire. One of my concerns was that the bike would twist while being hung, a rear stand should keep that from happening.
You definitely don't want to use a front stand without the rear stand. The bike is NOT stable.

post #17 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdavis984 View Post
You definitely don't want to use a front stand without the rear stand. The bike is NOT stable.
That's what I was thinking, you have a triangle with a pivot in it unless you have two points of contact on the rear.

Even that, I don't trust it a lot, but seems like a lifting point that is NOT connected to a pivot point would be best. I'd rather see the bike up by two wide points in the front and on a stand in the rear.

post #18 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Tirone

Garage
When you pick it up by the spine of the frame your lifting from a non swiveling point that is also far above center of gravity and so stable.

post #19 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpavelka View Post
When you pick it up by the spine of the frame your lifting from a non swiveling point that is also far above center of gravity and so stable.
Since it seems like you intend to check head bearings, this seems like one of your few options. You can't check the bearings properly if the bars are what's holding the front end off the ground.

Here's what I did. Note: I don't condone it, but it worked for me and gave me no problems. I took a pipe and put it under the hook of the headers up by the radiator. Tied the two ends to an engine hoist, and picked it up. No damage/marks were left. Took me like a minute to set up, I checked my head bearings and I was done within 5 minutes.

post #20 of 20 Old 03-01-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
Since it seems like you intend to check head bearings, this seems like one of your few options. You can't check the bearings properly if the bars are what's holding the front end off the ground.

Here's what I did. Note: I don't condone it, but it worked for me and gave me no problems. I took a pipe and put it under the hook of the headers up by the radiator. Tied the two ends to an engine hoist, and picked it up. No damage/marks were left. Took me like a minute to set up, I checked my head bearings and I was done within 5 minutes.
That's an idea. I have everything I need to test that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode