Hornet 919 - Water Pump - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
No 10

Hornet 919 - Water Pump

Hey,

My water pump needs replacing.

Are there any tips I need to know to replace this unit, or is it straight off and straight on ?

I never changed one on the 919 before.

insideleft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Looking at the service manual it looks pretty darn straight forward. Only thing i can see you need to be careful with is simply re indexing the pump shaft so it properly fits in the motor... which is as simple as turning the impeller.

If you dont have the service manual... download it here

http://teamlosi.andrevas.net/pics/ri...ice_Manual.pdf

Water pump removal is on page 179 of the pdf (6-12 of the numbering scheme of the manual itself)

Never heard of a water pump going bad on a 919... was it leaking that bad?

post #3 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Don't forget to replace the O ring(s), at least one there.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 PM
Fan of Nude Motorcycles

Hey OP, I actually just replaced my water pump today. My bike only had 3500 miles on it when I noticed a small amount coming from the weep hole. However, I believe my early signs of failure were due to the previous owner not winterizing the bike for 5 years.

As far as tips go, the replacement is pretty straight forward. Took me about 2 hours due to taking my time. One thing I was not prepared for is the oil(not coolant) you lose when you remove the assembly from the bike. Be sure your drain pan is in place for that step as well. I had to add half a quart of oil after removing the old pump and putting the new one on. Otherwise, it was painless. Drain coolant, remove old pump/hoses, put new pump on, put hoses back, fill coolant, start bike, check coolant level, add if necessary, ride away! I used 2.5 quarts when filling the system.

Unfortunately water pumps from the factory and every retailer I checked were back ordered. I got very lucky and found one at a local dealer.

post #5 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Le So Cal Troll

RV... did you change the pump with the bike on the side stand? i would try and stand the bike up right on some jack stands... then you shouldnt have issues with oil comming out i think.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Fan of Nude Motorcycles

You're probably right, because yes I did change it on the side stand.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
No 10

Thanks gentlemen,

I am doing an oil change during the same process.

I was hoping to only need to change the o-rings, but a trusted mechanic (sic) stated the problem was an element of the water pump that could not be repaired.

I will be doing the repairs at a friends, his garage is well equipped, I'll be standing the bike upright.

I was gonna buy a centre-stand ($500 Oz), but have changed my mind.

I was enlightened of 'paddock stands' today and will get one of them, but have been warned not to use that stand for oil changes as the viewing window will give a misreading of oil levels on the paddock stand.

I've been advised to fix a mirror to a stick and read oil levels while sitting on the bike in an upright position.

I've got back, shoulder and knee issues and balancing the bike to check the viewing window is a little scary, so the idea of the mirror is a great relief.

Thanks for the responses.

InsideLeft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode