• 2 Post By Bryce919er
  • 2 Post By robtharalson
  • 1 Post By Avispao
  • 1 Post By K1w1Boy
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 20 Old 12-13-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hornet 919 - Long Ride Trips

Dear Niners! I plan on taking a 500-600km long ride soon (250km~ one way). Can anyone give me tips? Pre ride, On ride and Post ride? Do I stop every 2-3 hours? Maximum weight to put on the bike (plan on bringing a tent with me). 2-4 Aux lights for the night ride?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-13-2019, 11:34 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I used to do 2100km (1300 mile) rides in a 3 day weekend fairly regularly...

I traveled pretty light I mean basically just me, small tank bag, 2 saddle bags and a cooler on a Ventura Rack. One saddle bag for clothes and the other bag carried rain gear, walking shoes, an extra full fuel can, siphon hose and tire plug kit.

The max weight rating of the bike is I believe about 380lbs so always a good idea to stay the lighter side of that no matter what. Tire pressure should be adjusted for how close you are in max weight

I am a pretty good Point A to Point B person so I stopped for fuel as needed at not much else... Very few distractions or diversions along the routes I took.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luggage.jpg (96.6 KB, 19 views)

post #3 of 20 Old 12-13-2019, 01:08 PM
919 Rider

LDH, luv the 919 in the house.
The ventura rear luggage racks are good. I got the tall type.
Maybe take some chain lube. I just use WD40 and a rag.
Good tools for chain adjustments.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-13-2019, 02:46 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Yup... I kept a small can of WD-40 and a small can of Honda Polish plus rags in my tank bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tb1.jpg (91.0 KB, 15 views)

post #5 of 20 Old 12-13-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Sweet pics. Might get those saddle bags soon and tank bank. Also thanks for the tips on what to bring. I'll list em up!

I will be traveling solo and with a ride sometimes. I would have to take note of the total weight.

How many liters of fuel can do you have?

post #6 of 20 Old 12-13-2019, 07:29 PM
Left of Centre

I also like to pack something to clean my visor with, wipes or spray - can't stand having to look past the bugs.
Islandboy likes this.

post #7 of 20 Old 12-13-2019, 08:43 PM
Centurion

I was no fan of the stock seat on long rides. Corbin or Sargent (had/have both) do much better. Ventura rack is great to carry your stuff.
K1w1Boy and Islandboy like this.

post #8 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Patty took the '03 from New Jersey to California back in 2005: 26 days and 7,500 miles without an issue. It may be over equipped by some standards, but if Momma ain't happy.................well, you know the rest. The seat has since been reworked by Spencer @

Spencers Seat Mods - Home Page - Custom Motorcycle Seats, Motorcycle Seat Modifications, Motorcycle Seat Mods

Two things that will leave you stranded are tire issues and a weak battery. I also carry a fresh FPR with tools for a road side change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00080(1).jpg (178.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00083.jpg (287.3 KB, 19 views)

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #9 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbygabgab View Post
Dear Niners! I plan on taking a 500-600km long ride soon (250km~ one way). Can anyone give me tips? Pre ride, On ride and Post ride? Do I stop every 2-3 hours? Maximum weight to put on the bike (plan on bringing a tent with me). 2-4 Aux lights for the night ride?
Pre ride is simple: check the condition of the important things such as tires, brakes, chain, well pretty much anything that will strand you in the middle of nowhere and take action to make sure they will go the distance. It helps if you can acquaint yourself with the bike enough to get out of trouble without using you cell phone (never depend on a signal in the boondocks). As to supplies: A good reliable LED flashlight with fresh batteries and at least one fresh change, Swiss army knife, WD40, tire plug kit and a bicycle tire pump. It may take some time to inflate a 180 tire that way, and any electric pump could do the job considerably faster, but it does no good if your battery is too discharged to start the engine when ready to continue your ride. Another trick is to bring along a six foot long air hose with a valve chuck on each end to "borrow" air from whatever car / truck is around (preferably with their permission).
On the personal front bring a well stocked first aid kit with as many individually sealed alcohol wipes as will fit in there, sewing kit with heavy thread, good rain suit, both cold and hot weather gloves, foam ear plugs in ziplock bags, a half gone roll of toilet paper in a ziplock, and super glue and rubber gloves. That last item takes some explaining. One use of super glue was in Vietnam, where field medics would put on a glove, apply a generous amount of super glue to it, press it on the wound and hold until it set. it sealed the wound and told the MASH doctors where the wound was. I have used it for that as well, and brother does it work!

On the ride: It strictly depends on the amenities available along your route. Long distances between fuel? Bring along enough to at least find some semblance of civilization. Under any circumstances bring along at least two liters of water and a smaller bottle to mix powdered Gatorade in. Also plenty of energy / granola bars to keep your body charged with enough energy to deal with the stresses of the trip. Past that the frequency of stops depends on your comfort envelope. It could be every thirty minutes, or iron man the whole distance with one fuel stop. Only you can determine that. Of course a trip of 250 KM is just a warmup for most dedicated touring riders.

Post ride: Prepare for the conditions at your intended destination. Since you are bringing a tent, it would be advisable to shop at a backpacking store (REI springs to mind) and get a proper sleeping bag, a thermarest pad, butane single burner stove, a pot, and freeze dried meals. Since they are intended for backpacking they all pack small and are very light.

Touring anecdote: My(then) wife took off on a tour that took her from Los Angeles to Maine, then began an AMA four corners tour, and while doing that she attended all of the AMA regional conventions for that year. Just under two months and 15,243 miles. Solo on a Yamaha 400 Seca with tank bag, soft bags, tent, sleeping bag, stuff sacks, lots of lash straps, and a stuffed tyrannosaurus named Tyrrano de Bergerac.

Me? The longest tour I've ever done was from L.A. to an AMA regional convention in Kalispell Montana, where it rained all the way there, then on to Olympia, Washington, then home. 3,194 miles in a week with my mascot: a small stuffed dinosaur named Quadzilla the Triceratopslet. On an '88 Honda Hawk with no windscreen. Had a great trip because I was ready for anything, and used it all. Good times.

Have a good trip unsullied by excessive drama.

Rob
mcromo44 and Islandboy like this.

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #10 of 20 Old 12-15-2019, 11:22 PM
919 Rider

Zip ties!

post #11 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 06:58 AM
Milites Gregarius

Airhawk seat cushion makes all the difference in the world. Used one on a trip from Pennsylvania to Florida and back.

I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!
post #12 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 09:22 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I have night and day close fitting glasses and spares. I use a special set of glasses that have readers at the bottom and fit close to the face. If I lose one, I'm screwed.

Think about the "must have" things and if you can get an extra. I put strips of electric tape on the bottom of the visor to block the sun. I have a spare flashlight and I have an attached bag inside of my tank bag because loose things inside of the tank bag can blow out. The attached bag is one of those "net bags" and a strap so that things don't come flying out.

Spare contacts if you use them in case one gets blown out.

I found that the Propel drink supplement stops muscle/hand cramps on long rides. It's a concentrated Gatorade. Once you muscles lock up, you're screwed.

post #13 of 20 Old 12-22-2019, 09:22 AM
Discen

Stop when you need it, nothing more and nothing less. We usually try to stop just for refuelling, but when you are many hours on the bike you start to need to stop more often. In my last long trip I stopped every hour because of the hot: one long rest for refuelling, one small rest for rehidrating.

I have 2 chinese aux lights and in 2 weeks and 5000km i used them twice. For just a trip of 500km i wouldn't need them. 500km is a just a long saturday blast.
Bigdaa likes this.

ROUNDED HEADLIGHTS LIBERATION FRONT

aaaa
.. a ^aa
^aaaaa
aa ^aaa avispaoencarretera.blogspot.com.es

post #14 of 20 Old 12-26-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'm looking for a nice Bar Led Lights. Anyone have brand any recommendations? Maximum bulb watts so as not to affect our battery?

post #15 of 20 Old 12-26-2019, 02:04 PM
919 Rider

Have you considered just uprading your headlight to LED?

post #16 of 20 Old 12-27-2019, 11:38 AM
Left of Centre

I'm just back from 2 x 450km days, and the following things occur to me:

1. I wish I had put one of my old trail-riding Camelbak bladders in my tank bag for hydration [summer months here].

2. The limiting factor for me in doing long distances is still the butt/seat interface, despite the $$ spent in modifications, gel pad, etc. I can do a 2-hr block as I leave town, but after that it's a stop every hour or so to ease the discomfort.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #17 of 20 Old 12-27-2019, 12:46 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
I'm just back from 2 x 450km days, and the following things occur to me:

1. I wish I had put one of my old trail-riding Camelbak bladders in my tank bag for hydration [summer months here].

2. The limiting factor for me in doing long distances is still the butt/seat interface, despite the $$ spent in modifications, gel pad, etc. I can do a 2-hr block as I leave town, but after that it's a stop every hour or so to ease the discomfort.
I can relate too well re #2 in particular.
I found the stock seat fine for 45 minutes, then with increasing levels of serious discomfort from one hour on.
Including the nuts grabbing from the creeping forward while the pants stayed firmly in place on the seat.
So I sprung for a Corbin at the suggestion of the shop where I bought the bike.
It made a world of difference.
True, it was expensive, but considering I'll never sell the bike, on an annualized cost basis it's cheap comfort!
LDH likes this.

post #18 of 20 Old 12-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

My butt will hurt on the first long ride of the season, but after that it's usually fine. I probably got like 20 years at least on most of you guys though so I guess that helps, lol. Not like I could afford an upholstered seat anyways =(

post #19 of 20 Old 12-27-2019, 08:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbygabgab View Post
I'm looking for a nice Bar Led Lights. Anyone have brand any recommendations? Maximum bulb watts so as not to affect our battery?
I just wanted to point out that I added a phone charger to mine and my battery left me dead. I replace the battery and kept the old one because they said there was nothing wrong with it. They did several stress tests and it came back fine.

The point is that most charging systems on motorcycles aren't very strong. Instead of keeping the old headlight that uses a LOT of energy, maybe switch everything over or at least the headlight.

The headlight on the 919 really sucks, I'm not sure how many amps the LED's draw, but it really should be a lot less than the stock setup, so you could probably add some extra LEDs on top of the headlight just to be safe.

post #20 of 20 Old 12-27-2019, 10:04 PM
919 Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
My butt will hurt on the first long ride of the season, but after that it's usually fine. I probably got like 20 years at least on most of you guys though so I guess that helps, lol. Not like I could afford an upholstered seat anyways =(
In 20 yrs you'll be able to afford an upholstered seat. You'll probably want one then too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode