Honda Human-Friendly Transmission (HFT) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Honda Human-Friendly Transmission (HFT)

Just thought I'd pop this up for reference.

Honda has also recently announced that it has developed the Human-Friendly Transmission (HFT), a new automatic transmission system for motorcycles using Honda’s own infinitely variable hydraulic mechanical transmission.

It's claimed to be easy to operate, providing "outstanding relaxed riding comfort, riding feel with direct response and excellent transmission efficiency".

The HFT will be installed on the Honda DN-01, a new motorcycle scheduled for market launch to be introduced at the 40th Tokyo Motor Show on October 27.

Attachment 11565

With Honda's own infinitely variable hydraulic mechanical transmission, the HFT realizes the lightweight and compact configuration required for motorcycles. To meet the wide range of rider needs, HFT offers a selection from two fully automatic shifting modes.

The "D" mode is used for ordinary riding and the "S" mode for a sporty riding experience, or the 6-speed manual mode can also be used, which gives riders the option of riding with a manual transmission feel. The HFT creates a unique riding feel through easy operation, ranging from relaxed and laid-back riding to nimble and sporty with direct throttle response.

Honda has developed and sold motorcycles equipped with easy-to-operate automatic riding technologies before. As a pioneer in the era of automatic systems, Honda launched the Super Cub C100 in 1958, equipped with an automatic centrifugal clutch mechanism, which allowed riding without the need of clutch operation.

The Eara (750cc), released in 1977, was a first large-sized motorcycle featured a torque converter in Japan. And in 1980, Honda put the Tact on the market, a machine equipped with the Honda original continuously variable transmission, the V-Matic, and Honda has continued to develop a variety of new mechanisms up into the present.

Characteristics of the HFT
A transmission system with a wide range of functions in a single unit, the HFT is a compact and highly efficient infinitely variable transmission system encompassing functions for starting, power transmission and shifting, all on a single shaft.

The basic configuration of the system consists of an oil pump for converting engine power into hydraulic pressure, and an oil motor for converting the hydraulic pressure back into power for output. Both are made up of multiple pistons, a distributor valve and a swash plate for piston operation, while the cylinders are integrated into the output shaft, forming the characteristic structure of the HFT.

The HFT also features the world’s first (claimed) lockup mechanism for an infinitely variable hydraulic mechanical transmission. When cruising, this lockup mechanism works to minimize transmission efficiency losses, contributing to improved fuel economy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm going riding.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

well that's pretty neat i guess. but i won't be needing one anytime soon. isn't it crazy some of the things those people think up? crazy. i'm going to go abuse my un-human friendly transmission for a while.

30,000 mile 919 survivor. No plans of stopping the abuse any time soon.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 AM
So, Satan's our mascot?

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Volkswagen's DSG tranny that they throw in Audis and VWs sounds like a vehicular comparison. It's a pretty impressive tranny with shifts so incredibly fast and true its relatively delightful to drive at first. And then you realize you're still driving an automatic, even if you paddle it through the gears. I'm not old school by any means, but I think a lot is lost in the translation.

BTW xrmikey, love the Rob Tharlson shout out!

post #4 of 6 Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Instead of HFT, they should call it LHFT (Lazy Human Friendly Transmission). It is neat to see new technology being applied to Motorcycles though, and I guess anything that broadens the appeal of the sport may be good for it, and I am sure there are certain people that would benefit that for some reason cant ride a manual equipped bike.

post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

i wish everyone would stop thinking for me...

did they ever consider that executing the perfectly timed shift is one of lifes greater joys????

post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Unbannable

It's the tranny for fat chicks.

Any man who buys an automatic bike deserves a kick in the nuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode