Honda automotive technology - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Left of Centre

Honda automotive technology

So, a couple of weeks ago I bought the car pictured here. It’s an import from Japan, badged “Honda Inspire” but you might recognize it as a member of the Accord family. I was after better fuel economy than I was getting from my V6 Audi A6Q sedan. I considered turbo motors and all sorts of things before investigating the Honda.

The best US mpg figure I ever achieved in open-road running with the Audi was around 28 – much worse around town and in traffic. Took the Honda out-of-town last week and coming back along a 30-mile piece of motorway, saw the computer register the equivalent of 38 mpg. This is down in the low 6’s for litres per 100km, not a bad return for a 3-litre, 250hp V6 Honda J engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The economy is due to the VCM system, which switches the engine down to a straight-3 with 3 lazy cylinders when the power is not required. Variable Cylinder Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clever technology that works well, in my experience – I recommend it! [Later versions can do 3, 4 or 6 cylinders; this is an early iteration that only does 3 or 6.]

i-VTEC with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM)

In 2003, Honda introduced an i-VTEC V6 (an update of the J-series) that includes Honda's cylinder deactivation technology which closes the valves on one bank of (3) cylinders during light load and low speed (below 80 km/h (50 mph)) operation. According to Honda, "VCM technology works on the principle that a vehicle only requires a fraction of its power output at cruising speeds. The system electronically deactivates cylinders to reduce fuel consumption. The engine is able to run on 3, 4, or all 6 cylinders based on the power requirement. Essentially getting the best of both worlds. V6 power when accelerating or climbing, as well as the efficiency of a smaller engine when cruising." The technology was originally introduced to the US on the 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan, and can now be found on the Honda Accord Hybrid, the 2006 Honda Pilot, and the 2008 Honda Accord. Example: EPA estimates for the 2011 (271 hp SOHC 3.5L) V6 Accord are 24 mpg combined vs. 27 in the two 4-cylinder-equipped models.
i-VTEC VCM was also used in 1.3L 4-cylinder engines used in Honda Civic Hybrid.[4]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inspire.jpg (300.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg GNL420.jpg (21.9 KB, 26 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Milites Gregarius

I had an old 96 Nissan sentra "GXE". With almost 300,000 miles on it I was getting 42-44mpg highway! Granted it was a puny 1.6liter inline 4, and had zero power on long steep hills, the mileage made up for it Big time. This was just with a "normal " dual overhead cam motor. No fancy vtech components. I drove from central pa to ocean city Maryland, drove around a little and then back all but 20 miles on one 11.2 gallon tank. Seeing that I can only wonder what car manufacturers could do without some of these restrictions on emissions if they pooled some resources.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
My old Ford was getting pretty old and rotted, so I went and bought a Honda Element. LOVE IT! Can't believe I waited so long to get a Honda car. Holy cow. The Ford did maybe 16mpg combined, the Honda does about 26. Not hypermiler territory by any means, and my C70 still does 170mpg, but dang the E is awesome.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand

post #4 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Milites Gregarius

I work on Honda cars, personaly I think elements are ugly beasts lol. But my god the storage abilities of those things! Its crazy how much crap you can stuff in them. We had one max out our 10000lb lift with all the crap in it!

post #5 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Left of Centre

VCM fuel mileage update

I took a trip to a friend's property a little way out of the city on Saturday morning, and as I got off the motorway, I took this photo of my on-board fuel computer read-out. I had traveled around 30km [20mi] of motorway, droning along at around 100km/h [60mph] and the computer was showing I was consuming gas at the rate of a litre for 18.3 km of travel.

Expressed in other terms, this is 5.46l/100km, or 51.99 miles per UK gallon, or 43.29 miles per US gallon. I've never had figures like this from a car before, and in fact my Fuelly tracking shows that the average consumption for my 919 is running at 37.7 mpg [US].

I'm impressed [still!].
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18.3km:l.jpg (136.1 KB, 11 views)

post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Milites Gregarius

You have to watch those readouts, most times they are off but are only ment as a guide anyways.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Left of Centre

Yeah. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode