Honda 919 - Question about heat exchanger/oil - Pics! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Fan of Nude Motorcycles

Honda 919 - Question about water pump/oil - Pics!

Hello all!

Nice to finally stop lurking and make some posts!

I have a question related to the heat exchanger. Every so often I get a little oil seepage from this tiny hole on the underside(pictured below). Is this normal? It's not much at all, and can easily be wiped away by the fingertip. However, I wanted to make sure this isn't going to turn into something major if ignored. It is quite hot here in VA, Im not sure if that has anything to do with it. My oil level is good, 3/4 of the way up in the sight glass. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks so much for your input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 10:54 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome! That's the water pump in your pic, the seals might be starting to fail, I'd keep an eye on it and think about changing it at some point before it fails.

post #3 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Fan of Nude Motorcycles

Thanks for the quick reply! Is that something that is easy enough to change out myself?(without serious chance of destroying something). I see a water pump can be bought for ~$150, I assume they're all the same throughout 2002-2007.

In the meantime, should I continue to commute on the bike?

post #4 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Personally I wouldn't ride it until I could change the pump. I've never changed one before, I don't think it will be too difficult. Start with some reading here:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ners-1209.html

post #5 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAniner View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Is that something that is easy enough to change out myself?(without serious chance of destroying something). I see a water pump can be bought for ~$150, I assume they're all the same throughout 2002-2007.

In the meantime, should I continue to commute on the bike?
They are all the same. It's a "piece o cake" to change. I rode 9 months with mine seeping a little coolant.

If it's an oil like substance, it maybe chain lube getting thrown.

post #6 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 11:51 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
If it's an oil like substance, it maybe chain lube getting thrown.
+1. Its a honda. KISS principle here. Look around and see if you can make sure the oil seepage is infact coming from the weep hole before changing anything out.

post #7 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 12:19 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Most water pump bearings are packed with grease rather than being lubed by an engine oil gallery. When the seal fails, coolant washes the grease out and kills the bearings. Your seepage is grease mixed with coolant and will turn from brown to green eventually. The weep hole is designed to let you know it's time for a new pump.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Most water pump bearings are packed with grease rather than being lubed by an engine oil gallery. When the seal fails, coolant washes the grease out and kills the bearings. Your seepage is grease mixed with coolant and will turn from brown to green eventually. The weep hole is designed to let you know it's time for a new pump.
Great info, thanks!

post #9 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Aquilifer

FYI, mine would leave a drop here and there only once in awhile. Very odd, like the shaft had a bad spot and only seeped when it was stop on that one spot. It was actually seeping less and less as time went on. I put a new pump on for "peace of mind", I think it would have been fine for years.

My coolant NEVER got low, that's why I keep riding it.

Disconnect 3 or so hoses, two bolts, and it's off. The hardest part (which wasn't hard) was lining up the input shaft.

post #10 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Le So Cal Troll

how many miles are on the bike?

post #11 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Fan of Nude Motorcycles

Hey all, thanks for the responses. There are actually only 3500 miles on the bike believe it or not. I think the main culprit is that the bike sat un-winterized for 3 years before I bought it. It has run perfectly for the last 3k miles otherwise.

It's definitely not chain lube and it's definitely coming from the weep hole. It's got the brownish green hue that Ken described. I figured there would be some knowledge to gain here. Gotta love the internets.

I am going to order the water pump today and replace it as soon as it arrives. It sounds like something I can handle.

This is the first semi-serious failure with any of the 6 bikes I've owned. I'm hoping after replacing the water pump I will go a long ways with only routine maintenance. What do you guys think? I love my 919, it's by far my favorite bike yet.

post #12 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 05:51 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

She'll be good for thousands of miles with routine maintenance, several members here have well over 50k miles and counting.

post #13 of 17 Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Fan of Nude Motorcycles

So, a few hundred miles later I have not seen a hint of seepage from the weep hole. I have tried to order a water pump anyways because I am anal about my bikes, however it is on backorder from Honda and no dealers around here have the part in stock. Any hints on where to find a water pump?

Out of curiosity, would anything terrible happen when the pump eventually breaks all of its seals? I have another bike(Ninja 250R), but the Honda is so much fun I don't want to stop riding it while I'm waiting for a new pump!

post #14 of 17 Old 08-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Ian

I have a waterpump assembly if u need one.

post #15 of 17 Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAniner View Post
So, a few hundred miles later I have not seen a hint of seepage from the weep hole. I have tried to order a water pump anyways because I am anal about my bikes, however it is on backorder from Honda and no dealers around here have the part in stock. Any hints on where to find a water pump?

Out of curiosity, would anything terrible happen when the pump eventually breaks all of its seals? I have another bike(Ninja 250R), but the Honda is so much fun I don't want to stop riding it while I'm waiting for a new pump!
if its stopped i wouldn't worry about it at all. if it starts having a few drips per day then i would get worried... but more than likely you wont have any issues for the life of the bike.

i have 20k of hard miles on my bike so far and never had an issue... and i expect it to be that way for another 80k at least.

post #16 of 17 Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Fan of Nude Motorcycles

Found a water pump!

Good news!! The local Honda House here in Richmond finally found the water pump they could never locate. I bought it within an hour of the news. I can't wait to get this baby on, flush the coolant, and get back on my 919!

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else can relate to the joy of finally finding the part you need to get back to 100%.

~105HP (honda) > ~30HP(ninja250)
....as much as I love my Kawi....

post #17 of 17 Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Fan of Nude Motorcycles

I just replaced my water pump today! The process went pretty smooth, I have no leaks(knock on wood), and everything looked good after a 20 mile ride. I'll post the "tips" I noted on the other water pump thread that was just posted. Thanks again for your thoughts.

"As far as tips go, the replacement is pretty straight forward. Took me about 2 hours due to taking my time. One thing I was not prepared for is the oil(not coolant) you lose when you remove the assembly from the bike. Be sure your drain pan is in place for that step as well. I had to add half a quart of oil after removing the old pump and putting the new one on. Otherwise, it was painless. Drain coolant, remove old pump/hoses, put new pump on, put hoses back, fill coolant, start bike, check coolant level, add if necessary, ride away! I used 2.5 quarts when filling the system."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode