honda 919, no power today when i turned the key? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Red face honda 919, no power today when i turned the key?

hi, i just used it yesterday, started right up, strong battery, moved it to other side of street, etc..
then today i turn the key, no power, no headlight, lights, no horn, no lights for neutral/other little lights.. nada.
any ideas? the battery is about a year old, but has been fine as of recent.
last year i had an issue where the headlight would not come on when i turned the key (sometimes..), and the starter didnt start the bike,etc... it turned out to be a broken starter switch, which was replaced, and all worked fine...
i know there is a fuse box? under the seat, but im not sure which is which etc..
this is different? ideas? thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 06:27 AM
Pilus Posterior

I had a thing where my key wasn't turning quite right. I lubed it up and that seemed to take care of it. The other thing to check is the connections at the red kill switch on the right. I don't think it would be the red kill switch because I think the light still turns on if it's bad.

First things first, you have to check the battery and it's connections. A jump or jumper battery should do the trick. You can check the main wires by connecting the known good battery straight to ground and straight to the main power end at the fuse box.

Another idea is to just float charge the battery if it's anything below 12.3 or 12.4 whatever the number is.

I think there's a safety tip over switch that could have gone bad as well.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

thanks, ill test when i get home today, the kill switch is part of that new starter switch on my bike. i tried the other key as well, and no go.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 09:05 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmarc View Post
thanks, ill test when i get home today, the kill switch is part of that new starter switch on my bike. i tried the other key as well, and no go.
After you check the battery (not just voltage, but amps to the starter) I'd look at anything that is new. You mentioned the new starter and kill switch... I'd look at those real close.

post #5 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Tirone

No lights, not even the notorious FI light? If so, I would say it's got to be either the battery being extremely dead, not connected, or the physical switch in your ignition module is dead. The killswitch still gives you some lights, even when it's on, ditto the bank angle sensor and the kickstand cutoff switch.

post #6 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

what is the FI light? and ya, the kickstand cutoff switch would still have the neutral light on the , and even the kill switch in off position, still the lights come on when key is in and turned usually.
the battery was great last night, has been starting great, even after sitting for 6 weeks this summer in a garage, when i returned home, it started right up.

post #7 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

si i took the seat off, and checked the main fuse, the 30, and it was broke, so i put another one in, as soon as out the fuse in and the plug back on it, the FI light (lower left light) and the upper right light came on, without the key even in, the main switch/key was off! what does this mean?
thx.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmarc View Post
si i took the seat off, and checked the main fuse, the 30, and it was broke, so i put another one in, as soon as out the fuse in and the plug back on it, the FI light (lower left light) and the upper right light came on, without the key even in, the main switch/key was off! what does this mean?
thx.
I wonder if you have a bad key switch that is stuck in the on position. I've seen some that weld themselves shut. You might be able to giggle the key around and see if that makes any difference. I don't know the design of the switch, maybe a rotating plate that makes the contact but you should be able to test for that.

Maybe enough water can get into the switch that it's ruined and needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

post #9 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

turns out it was this, 4 wires in the headlight area, broken apart... looks like a rodent got into the headlight harness area, and i saw this...! so i took off the headlight, and spliced the 4 wires back together again, wrapped in electrical tape, and at least got it started again like normal, now i can take it and get the replacement part.
thanks again everyone!
m

post #10 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Tirone

Good on ya! The FI light often lights up if the bike thinks it's being stolen, which can happen when the ignition gets screwy. Nice finding actual damage, right? Really cuts down on the guesswork.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode